Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Just rename it all Greater London and be done with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Greater London, or Greatest London?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Just rename it all Greater London and be done with it.

Unironically this, because then the rest of the country might actually get some money spent on it ever

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
When everyone is London...

no-one will be.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Yes, life in London is just peachy:

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2014/sep/01/enfield-experiment-housing-problem-radical-solution

quote:

Pushed into a corner by soaring prices, greedy landlords and a cap on benefits, one London council has embarked on a daring set of untested policies to provide more public housing
[...]
But a day here reveals a council at the limit of its abilities and a workforce at the end of its tether. Those on the front desk each see about 50 people in need of housing every day – six or seven of whom have nowhere else to stay. “At the end of each afternoon, you just feel exhausted,” says Linda Ray. Especially when you have to tell dozens of faces that they don’t qualify for help.

On being refused by Linda a couple of weeks ago, a woman pulled out a jar, unscrewed the lid and lobbed it under the screen. It was full of bed bugs. I’m shown the desks they crawled over, the carpet that had to be fumigated.

And under the now-familiar arithmetic of austerity, more work and more stress is parcelled out among fewer staff. While the Guardian was at John Wilkes, 10 employees received redundancy letters.

Finally, there’s the big picture. “We’re being hit by a perfect storm: rising house prices, the squeeze in the rental market and the benefit cap,” says Sally McTernan, who runs Enfield’s housing service. Like the people turning up at John Wilkes, her team is being tossed about by forces beyond their control.

The whole thing is well worth reading.

Neoliberalism benefits those at the top of the pile, even in the regions that are doing better, plenty of people are suffering.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2014/sep/01/enfield-experiment-housing-problem-radical-solution

Neoliberalism benefits those at the top of the pile, even in the regions that are doing better, plenty of people are suffering.

Yet you're voting to stay in a country that's been irrevocably ruled by it, without providing any solutions on how to change it :rolleyes:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ReV VAdAUL posted:

It's worth pointing out that Enfield is one of the cheaper boroughs to live in in Greater London and they have at least some space to build new housing and a fairly solid revenue base. Now imagine what it's like in the centre of town, with much less space and way, way less money available because social housing expenditure was one of the few areas not equalised across London after the Poplar Rates Rebellion.

There is some central government spending, and the GLA puts in a bit more, but it's mostly splashed on big showy bullshit like Thames "No really this time we will build it!" Gateway and the Olympic Park fiasco. There needs to be a post-WW2-type massive centralised building programme - at a (very, very high) average of £50k a dwelling we could have 120k new homes for the cost just of what loving Vodafone fiddled HMRC out of. It's so loving simple and it will literally never, ever happen.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Aren't the Dutch also a United Kingdom? That might be enough to set them over the edge and raid the Medway again.

(Although admittedly hauling back a Poundstretcher isn't quite as impressive as capturing the Royal Charles)

You might be thinking of the United Provinces, which a) weren't a Kingdom and b) don't exist any more.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

You might be thinking of the United Provinces, which a) weren't a Kingdom and b) don't exist any more.

Wikipedia informs me they were a United Kingdom for a while, in the midst of more rebrandings than Blackwater.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
Are they seriously planning on teaching 5 year olds how to code?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Gum posted:

5's probably a bit young but we teach 5 year olds French and coding in a basic language is a shitload easier than learning a proper new language.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gum posted:

They were teaching me LOGO and BASIC from the age of about 7, as part of possibly the only good thing the Thatcher years ever bought us. To be honest I'm surprised to learn that they *don't* teach very basic coding at school outside of IT lessons nowadays - if nothing else it's a useful and interesting alternative way to look at problem-solving.

We sneer at "Silicon Roundabout" and the like but the British software industry is absolutely massive compared to the size of our economy and it's all thanks to the 80s computer boom and the pretty cheap, but surprisingly comprehensive, computer education my generation received.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I taught myself to code around age 6-7, so I don't see why not. There are some pretty great intro to programming type languages around now too, where you plug jigsaw puzzle bits together to make programs.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmP9mVv-DEQ

Seeing this loving everywhere. Racist dick gets sucker punched in a kebab shop:britain:. Money shot at ~ 0:18.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Gum posted:

Everywhere I've seen it taught it has been a drag and drop programming language (various types including scratch) where you drop various coloured blocks to build your functions/algorithms/animations. The children seem to rather enjoy it.

I was dreading teaching it myself despite being familiar with various languages, but having seen it done it doesn't strike me as too advanced at all.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They were teaching me LOGO and BASIC from the age of about 7, as part of possibly the only good thing the Thatcher years ever bought us. To be honest I'm surprised to learn that they *don't* teach very basic coding at school outside of IT lessons nowadays - if nothing else it's a useful and interesting alternative way to look at problem-solving.

We sneer at "Silicon Roundabout" and the like but the British software industry is absolutely massive compared to the size of our economy and it's all thanks to the 80s computer boom and the pretty cheap, but surprisingly comprehensive, computer education my generation received.

Bloody leftist BBC...

Also 'learning to code' isn't really about coding, it's about learning to conceptualise stuff and identify patterns and develop logical solutions to problems. It fits into all kinds of fields, and it's a good tool for helping kids to understand the modern world, as well as the other subjects they'll do. Sounds good man

Aromatic Stretch
Nov 4, 2009

Praseodymi posted:

Seeing this loving everywhere. Racist dick gets sucker punched in a kebab shop:britain:. Money shot at ~ 0:18.

Don't really like how celebratory people are about this video. Based on past incidents of people being punched it could easily pass for a video of a mentally ill person being murdered.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Praseodymi posted:

That's the power of Allah right there.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

HortonNash posted:

Everywhere I've seen it taught it has been a drag and drop programming language (various types including scratch) where you drop various coloured blocks to build your functions/algorithms/animations. The children seem to rather enjoy it.

I was dreading teaching it myself despite being familiar with various languages, but having seen it done it doesn't strike me as too advanced at all.

I googled it and found a Forbes article on Scratch. Is it not more about teaching kids the basic framework to programming? Like each block could be considered a function or a library or something and this is just the first step along a long road that eventually teaches them what to put in those blocks.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Kin posted:

I googled it and found a Forbes article on Scratch. Is it not more about teaching kids the basic framework to programming? Like each block could be considered a function or a library or something and this is just the first step along a long road that eventually teaches them what to put in those blocks.

From what I remembered of Scratch back at School, it's GUI is pretty user friendly and has this sort of drag and drop sort of feel to it. I've seen students use it and start to understand more once they get the gist of it.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010

Extreme0 posted:

That's the power of Allah right there.

Subḥânahu Wa Ta'Ala (someone should make a crying shahada emote)

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
I remember FlowOL from my school days, which was used for programming traffic lights of varying complexity (for 2 lessons of my entire school career)

I also fiddled with an old bbc micro under the maths teacher's supervision, but that's apparently enough to land me a comfortable career in programming.

Tesla was right fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 1, 2014

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

Radio Prune posted:

Subḥânahu Wa Ta'Ala (someone should make a crying shahada emote)

It should have the Kaaba sheding a single tear.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Kin posted:

Exactly. They learn to program things like basic games and floor turtles etc, it really boils down to which scheme of work the school buys in. From what I've seen Scratch is not the best option for primary school as it allows too many degrees of freedom, whereas some of the more proprietary schemes are easier to teach and have very clear learning objectives, which when you are talking about a subject almost no primary teachers have any experience of teaching is a good thing.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Gum posted:

Programming languages are just that, languages.

Every kid should be getting taught at least one foreign language as early as possible, and coding is gonna be a hell of a lot more useful to you than German.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Coding doesn't cause the same cognitive changes as learning to speak a foreign language young. The word "computer language" is an analogy, not an identity. It's like saying "You should be learning to sing soprano instead of learning to speak German."

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
My main issue was that typically programming languages require a lot of precision- mistyping a single character can prevent a program compiling or cause it to behave in a way that isn't intended. I just don't see a typical 5 year old being able to write even a simple program without making a ton of errors that they wont be able to fix themselves. A drag-and-drop style interface could definitely alleviate a lot of that though.

Chunk5
Jun 26, 2010

Aromatic Stretch posted:

Don't really like how celebratory people are about this video. Based on past incidents of people being punched it could easily pass for a video of a mentally ill person being murdered.

The race politics behind that autistic victim story was quite interesting to see. The press painted the story to side with the victim. White friends saw it as murder, coloured friends sympathised with the attacker. The judge was lenient in this case and it did change my perspective on the judiciary as I thought they were out of touch.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Gum posted:

My main issue was that typically programming languages require a lot of precision- mistyping a single character can prevent a program compiling or cause it to behave in a way that isn't intended. I just don't see a typical 5 year old being able to write even a simple program without making a ton of errors that they wont be able to fix themselves. A drag-and-drop style interface could definitely alleviate a lot of that though.

Any serious programming these days involves using development environments which are super helpful about spotting errors. They actually understand how the language works so they can flag up any issues immediately, and even provide a nice explanation and options to automatically fix it. It's pretty much like Word underlining all your mistakes and saying I SEE YOU'RE WRITING A LETTER, WANT ME TO HELP except this actually works and is super useful!

I'm not suggesting plonking a five-year-old down in front of a full development IDE and saying good luck, but the days of tapping everything into some notepad equivalent and then compiling it and getting a mass of unrelated bullshit because you forgot one semicolon somewhere are behind us. Unless you're a masochist anyway. So there's no reason any modern education program aimed at kids wouldn't have all these handy helpful features too

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There is some central government spending, and the GLA puts in a bit more, but it's mostly splashed on big showy bullshit like Thames "No really this time we will build it!" Gateway and the Olympic Park fiasco. There needs to be a post-WW2-type massive centralised building programme - at a (very, very high) average of £50k a dwelling we could have 120k new homes for the cost just of what loving Vodafone fiddled HMRC out of. It's so loving simple and it will literally never, ever happen.

the post-WW2-type massive centralised building programme lead to massive destruction of communities that supplied the overspill population, massive unpopularity and resentment amongst the existing recipient villages, and energized the Campaign to Protect Rural England into the political titan it is today

unless you have a Lewis Silkin-type figure willing to go out and flagrantly ignore protesters to their face, and an administration with the mandate the size of an Attlee majority, a building plan is dead in the water

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gum posted:

The Raspberry Pi comes preinstalled with Scratch which seems to be in use in some schools already. I've no idea if they're already using the Pi but given one of it's stated roles is to be a BBC Model B for the new generation I don't see why not.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Praseodymi posted:

If I was the owner of that shop I wouldn't be too happy with this being put on the internet.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Gum posted:

Easily fixed.

There, no typos ever again.

gorki
Aug 9, 2014
Surely even if a drag and drop interface is used, the abstract concepts involved in programming are going to be a massive challenge for five year old kids? Unless you just want them to play with the blocks but in that case why bother with electronics. I can remember kids in my first year at school who struggled with such challenges as not crying for half the day when their parents left them off, not pissing or making GBS threads their pants and refraining from biting others. We do start a year earlier in Northern Ireland, but this change to the curriculum seems wacky when I keep reading about a growing number of kids starting school in nappies and with the linguistic skills expected of two year olds.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

gorki posted:

Surely even if a drag and drop interface is used, the abstract concepts involved in programming are going to be a massive challenge for five year old kids?

From what I remember of the programming taster I had at 10, it's unlikely to be anything more complex than conditionals, loops, and rules. The reason to bother with electronics instead of just giving kids wooden blocks with ASM commands carved into them is because computers are just as cheap and also allow you to actually make things happen.

gorki posted:

this change to the curriculum seems wacky when I keep reading about a growing number of kids starting school in nappies and with the linguistic skills expected of two year olds

Please consider that this is almost entirely due to conditions at home (primarily caused by, you guessed it, inadequate state support) rather than kids being born stupider. Withholding education from poors for fear of overtaxing their dear wee untermensch brains is not a charitable act.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Do not glamorize the Scotts for their escape from the Tories when it is at the expense of everyone else in the UK that will be left more likely to be under Tory rule and. gently caress them. The entire country should have got the vote not just one region that decided to get all tribal. Oh wait it's about serious things like the NHS yes. Of course.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Regarde Aduck posted:

Do not glamorize the Scotts for their escape from the Tories when it is at the expense of everyone else in the UK that will be left more likely to be under Tory rule and. gently caress them. The entire country should have got the vote not just one region that decided to get all tribal. Oh wait it's about serious things like the NHS yes. Of course.

This is the most boring argument ever which has been debunked repeatedly. I think Scotland has swung the general election a grand total of once.

If we end up with generations of Tory governments post-independence, it's our own fault.

Also I'm pretty sure you don't know what self-determination means.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's not our fault the majority of the voting population in England want the Tories in power. If you don't want a Tory government shout at the millions of people who actually vote for them rather than those who have an opportunity to leave the country.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
How long until the vote is it now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Jippa posted:

How long until the vote is it now?

16 days (a fortnight on Thursday)

• Locked thread