Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?

Gonzo McFee posted:

The Tories have never and will never understand how hated they are in Scotland. They don't even know why.

Of course they know why. They're not stupid. There just isn't much they can do about it without losing votes elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

None of this poo poo actually comes into effect unless they win the election, though, right?

This article makes it sound like the moment it's announced at the conference it becomes law.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Paul.Power posted:

Something I find hilarious (and possibly kinda useful sometimes?) is that 1/11 of a mile is a neat 160 yards (which can in turn be divided by 2 five times). If you like maths then Imperial can be pretty fun to play around with.

I watched a build video from the U.S. of a guy building a desk. The amount of nonsense working with fractions to get small measurements made me cringe. Working in mm is so much easier.

We currently teach children to calculate between miles and Kg and pounds and Kg at primary school and to be honest that's enough for them to operate entirely in the modern world. Introducing actually working in imperial measurements would be an absolute nightmare and I challenge anyone to give me a good practical reason for doing so (and no pretty maths is not one).

A lot of children really struggle with physically measuring stuff, reading even base10 scales stumps some, so introducing scales with fractions of an inch seems cruel when they will find fewer and fewer actual uses for this knowledge outside of school.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Base 12 is the mathematicians choice. It is terrible accident of evolution that we were cursed with 10 digits. If we had an extra one on each hand we would probably be far more advanced technologically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6xJfP7-HCc

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Ken Clarke has said UKIP voters tend to be 'Elderly Male People Who've Had Disappointing Lives'. And (talking about the great fire of London) "A mob went through the streets beating up and hanging Frenchman despite all the rumours about a baker shop somewhere in London. They were concerned it was French arsonists who caused the problem. Ukip captures the spirit of that."

There are lots of predictable but still funny comments from UKIP types.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/09/29/ukip-voters-ken-clarke_n_5903940.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

marktheando posted:

Ken Clarke has said UKIP voters tend to be 'Elderly Male People Who've Had Disappointing Lives'. And (talking about the great fire of London) "A mob went through the streets beating up and hanging Frenchman despite all the rumours about a baker shop somewhere in London. They were concerned it was French arsonists who caused the problem. Ukip captures the spirit of that."

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/09/29/ukip-voters-ken-clarke_n_5903940.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

As tories go Ken Clarke is one of the good ones.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Autonomous Monster posted:

None of this poo poo actually comes into effect unless they win the election, though, right?

This article makes it sound like the moment it's announced at the conference it becomes law.

I think I saw that it's law already.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

marktheando posted:

He's right. And the army of illiterates commenting underneath makes it pretty clear!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

tentish klown posted:

He's right. And the army of illiterates commenting underneath makes it pretty clear!

Oh absolutely he's right. I just find it very funny when UKIP types get super offended when Tories slip up and speak the truth about them, rather than trying to woo them. Like with Cameron's comment a while back about fruitcakes, loonies and closet racists.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Zephro posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/30/david-cameron-schools-should-teach-mainly-in-imperial-measurements

This is possibly the most :bahgawd: thing ever

edit: 1958: Edmund Hillary's Commonwealth Trans-Antarctic Expedition completes the third overland journey to the South Pole, and the first to use powered vehicles. They travelled 123,312 ells (2,152 furlongs), carrying 12 butts of water and 3 hundredweight (336 pounds) of food.

In the Mail article about this all the comments are decisively anti imperial and upvoted as such so I suppose there is some hope even in Daily Mail land. Just goes to show how out of touch he is.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

marktheando posted:

Ken Clarke has said UKIP voters tend to be 'Elderly Male People Who've Had Disappointing Lives'.
That's inaccurate and unfair.

I know too many 'Young Male People Who've Had Disappointing Lives' who have bought into this poo poo too. :smith:

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012
Well, Farage is offering them more than the tories or labour. 25% VAT on luxury products, raising tax allowance to £13500- once again, the left takes the working class vote for granted and then acts confused when they "vote against their interests". Ah, I bet they're all racist poors.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Puntification posted:

As tories go Ken Clarke is one of the good ones.

Aren't there pretty good odds that he might've had something to do with the 1980s abuse scandal? I remember a lot of people dropping hints about that.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Are there any website for organizing anti-tory voter alliances/pacts in marginal seats?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Metrication posted:

In the Mail article about this all the comments are decisively anti imperial and upvoted as such so I suppose there is some hope even in Daily Mail land. Just goes to show how out of touch he is.
Username/post combo of the month, by the way.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
An amusing conversation from the Ken Clarke comments:

~~~ Some wall of drivel with no paragraphs ~~~

Glenn Wilson · Top commenter · Norwich, Norfolk
Rosie Rose Except... our immigration rates aren't that high. Our population density is fairly low. Our prison population has more former British armed forces personnel than Asians. And so on. The things you are disappointed with by and large -do not- actually exist. The solution to a problem that's taking place entirely inside fevered imaginations shouldn't involve something that will be economic suicide for those living in the real world.

--

Geoff Ryan · Top commenter · London, United Kingdom
Glenn Wilson You are full of sh*t, you are lying on all counts.

--

Geoff Ryan OK. The ONS estimate for 2013 makes us 51st in the world by population density. The report is here - http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171778_367167.pdf.
The latest report estimates the total number of foreign nationals in UK prisons at around 13%. The report is here - https://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/SN04334.pdfs
The Ministry of Justice report on the ethnicity of the UK prison population is here.https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/219967/stats-race-cjs-2010.pdf
The Napo probation officers report on former armed forces personnel in UK prisons is here - http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/sep/24/jailed-veteran-servicemen-outnumber-troops
Our level of net migration is 38th in the world according to the world factbook. The data is here - https://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/SN04334.pdfs

The lie is where?

--

Geoff Ryan · Top commenter · London, United Kingdom
G.Wilson, you give me 'statistics' allow me to give you facts.
I work in construction, on my current site out of 70 men, 10 of us are English, down the road on another of our sites there are 6 English people out of 40, you go on ANY major construction site and you are lucky to get 50/50.
Go outside of the site and you rarely here English spoken, that's in London, but perhaps if you go to Boston Lincs you will see that the same applies.

As for prisons, I was in one last year, a third of the inmates were non English.
That prison was HMP Chelmsford in Essex, it's worse in the major city prisons.
Just down the road from Chelmsford is Colchester, a major garrison town that is home to a military prison.
Soldiers who have been sentenced by courts martial to certain amount of time and have been kicked out of the forces, will go to HMP Chelmsford to start their sentences.
There were TWO ex servicemen and NUMEROUS Asians.

Net migration.
I have eyes and ears and this country is being swamped with migrants, I have seen it in our towns and cities, work places and even our prisons, so you post your silly 'Statistics' all day long you utter tool.

--

Geoff Ryan I realise that reality doesn't fit with your world view but I actually trust the evidence I've listed over your personal observations. You seem, respectfully, slightly mental.
Reply · Like · 1 · Edited · 4 hours ago

--

Geoff Ryan Interestingly enough the Chief Inspector of Prisons most recent report suggests that the number of foreign nationals in HMP Chelmsford is about 12% and that English is the first language of 96% of the prisoners. Are you sure you were in the right prison?
http://www.justice.gov.uk/downloads/publications/inspectorate-reports/hmipris/prison-and-yoi-inspections/chelmsford/Chelmsford_2009_rps.pdf

~~~ Blah blah WHERE DO YOU LIVE ~~~

Dave Fox · Top commenter · Leeds
Glenn Wilson Are you sure your posts sound more like a muslin loving Middle Eastern toff.

--

Dave Fox Muslin is ok I guess, but I prefer linen.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
In other news: The Queen is a mental.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...princesses.html

quote:

The Queen tells the Duchess of Cambridge to curtsy to the 'blood princesses’

The Queen has updated the Order of Precedence in the Royal family, making it clear that the Duchess of Cambridge must curtsy to the Princesses by birth.

The Duchess of Cambridge may be the future queen, but she has discovered that there are several women in the Royal family to whom she must show reverence. Mandrake hears that the Queen has updated the Order of Precedence in the Royal Household to take into account the Duke of Cambridge’s wife.

The new rules of Court make it clear that the former Kate Middleton, when she is not accompanied by Prince William, must curtsy to the “blood princesses”, the Princess Royal, Princess Alexandra, and the daughters of the Duke of York, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie.

When William is with her, Kate does not need to bend the knee to either of them, but she must curtsy to the Prince of Wales, the Duchess of Cornwall, the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh.

Despite being married to the Queen’s son, the Countess of Wessex will, however, have to curtsy to Kate, even when William is not present.

“Updating the Order of Precedence has been a simple matter of following the precedent set when the Prince of Wales married Camilla Parker Bowles,” a courtier tells me.

A document is said to have been circulated privately in the Royal Household, clarifying Kate’s status. When the Order was last updated, after Prince Charles’s second marriage, in 2005, the Countess of Wessex was reported to be upset that she now had to curtsy to Camilla. “She didn’t like it one bit,” a senior courtier was quoted as saying.

The Earl of Wessex’s wife had previously been the second-highest ranking woman in the Royal family because neither of the Queen’s other sons, Charles and Prince Andrew, were married.

However, after Charles remarried, the Queen changed the Order of Precedence “on blood principles” so that neither Princess Anne nor Princess Alexandra, the granddaughter of George V, would have to curtsy to Camilla when her husband was not present.

Although the etiquette may seem arcane, it is taken very seriously by the Royal family, whose members bow and curtsy to each other in public and in private. A vivid illustration came after the Trooping the Colour ceremony last weekend, when Kate could be seen curtsying to Prince Philip on the balcony of Buckingham Palace.

The Order of Precedence affects other aspects of royal protocol, such as who arrives first at an event. For example, Camilla was forced to wait in the drizzle outside the Guards Chapel, Windsor, for the arrival of Princess Anne at a memorial service in 2006, because Charles had not accompanied her. A Buckingham Palace spokesman declines to comment.

Feckin Elizabeth Lannister over here.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

Do you think Kate has to curtsy to her children?

I wonder what happens if she doesn't curtsy to the right people, do they send her to coventry? What a strange family it must be.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Gonzo McFee posted:

This sort of thinking is poison to the mind, and frankly, bordering on eugenics. A well-defined order of precedence and respect based upon 'purity' of blood. Ugh. I do sometimes wonder if one of the main reasons PMs don't normally comment upon their weekly chats with the Queen is because the populace would realise how backward and regressive some of her views are.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

tentish klown posted:

*a lesson in anecdotes*

:golfclap:

I don't understand how people can stomach conversing with these terminal thickos.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Milotic posted:

This sort of thinking is poison to the mind, and frankly, bordering on eugenics. A well-defined order of precedence and respect based upon 'purity' of blood. Ugh. I do sometimes wonder if one of the main reasons PMs don't normally comment upon their weekly chats with the Queen is because the populace would realise how backward and regressive some of her views are.

Her public image is essentially R2-D2. Says nothing of note, does nothing of note but she's beloved because in the clicks and beeps (or in the Queen's case, bland pleasantries) you can project your own beliefs and personality.

If she ever showed her real personality I have no doubt we'd be like Diana and trying to make a break for France and subsequently murdered.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/sep/30/theresa-may-ban-extremists-television

quote:

May’s extremist disruption civil orders would contain wide-ranging restrictions on individuals who “undertake harmful activities” to spread, incite or justify hatred against people on grounds of race, religion, sexual orientation or disability.

The orders would be issued by a high court judge on an application from the police on the lower legal test of “balance of probabilities” rather than the stronger test of “beyond reasonable doubt”.

The restrictions are expected to include banning individuals from speaking at public events, protests and meetings, having to inform the police in advance of any public event, protest or meeting that they plan to attend, and banning individuals from particular public locations.

May also wants to include restrictions on banned individuals from broadcasting, from associating with named people, and restricting their use of social media or the internet by requiring them to submit in advance any proposed publication to the police.

Banning orders would be time-limited to ensure they were proportional, but breaching the civil orders would be regarded as a criminal offence punishable with a jail term.

The manifesto commitment to banning extremist organisations that fall short of the current test for terrorist proscription comes after a long-term debate since Tony Blair first proposed a ban on the non-violent Islamist group Hizb ut-Tahrir.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOUeauLWEaE

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Collateral posted:

Base 12 is the mathematicians choice. It is terrible accident of evolution that we were cursed with 10 digits. If we had an extra one on each hand we would probably be far more advanced technologically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6xJfP7-HCc

That guy looks like someone who likes maths.

nuzak posted:

Ah, I bet they're all racist poors.

Pretty much. If you don't think the working class population are extremely sensitive to issues of immigration and racial conflict then welp, the left is doomed. I don't think i've ever seen Labour attempt to explain the ways in which the Tories and media lie about things. Which would be a start.

But pretending they're all good down to earth people with hearts of gold will get you no where. Most of them are stupid, just like the other classes, and are currently wrapped around the Tories finger.

I think the situation is dire enough that Labour couldn't win by campaign alone, no matter how good. It's going to take the disruption by UKIP on tory heartlands to scuttle another Tory government. People are just too hopped up on anger and hate at the EU, at immigrants, at "scroungers". None of these people even know what their interests are anymore. People are just voting on negative emotions. Well the Tory base isn't. They're just sitting back smiling.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 30, 2014

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Regarde Aduck posted:

That guy looks like someone who likes maths.

http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/people/j.r.grime/

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Thought that was IDS' post

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Gonzo McFee posted:

The blood princesses are the original elder vampires created by Dracula himself, right?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

That is a slice of ham on the kitchen floor.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
The Queen hated Thatcher and apparently liked Harold Wilson more than any other PM since she became Queen; which means that she's not as bad as she could be.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's only because the black liquor that oozed through Thatcher's veins poisoned two of the Queen's Blood Princesses when they tried to feed.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

http://www.scottishconservatives.com/2014/09/ruth-time-reset-scotland/

quote:

That means ruling out so-called Devo Max. Such a plan – which would devolve everything bar foreign affairs and the Armed Forces – is a complete non-starter.

It is incompatible with remaining part of the United Kingdom, so the SNP needs to make it clear that this of off the table.

I will be part of nothing that puts the strength of our United Kingdom in peril. And I do so knowing that I have the majority of the people of Scotland in my corner.

I think a 'majority' is a bit over enthusastic?

quote:

With Nicola Sturgeon set to take over, it looks like the SNP and Labour are going to embark on a titanic fight to out-left each other.

I know Nicola, and I can tell you this – She will be the most left wing First Minister Scotland has ever known. Forget Donald and Henry, Jack and Alex …… (please, can we forget Alec)? Nicola will take her party – and the country – leftwards.

Nicola, the most left winged First Minister, Scotland has ever known? Does this hold any sort of weight fellow Goons?

Also can we please forget Alec? Please?

quote:

And we don’t need the Liberal Democrats for, well, anything really…

:lol:

Extreme0 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 30, 2014

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

The only thing I know about Sturgeon is that in the interview she gave the BBC after the vote was called she looked about three seconds away from totally losing her poo poo.

Zephro posted:

The blood princesses are the original elder vampires created by Dracula himself, right?

This was my immediate reaction, too.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

KKKlean Energy posted:

:golfclap:

I don't understand how people can stomach conversing with these terminal thickos.
To be fair, it's possible for both of the claims to be true, for at least some of them. The fact that we're 38th in the world for net immigration is perfectly compatible with the anecdotal experience that there are lots of immigrants working in construction.

It's also kind of interesting the degree to which the modern left has completely abandoned the old-left idea that immigration should be resisted because it leads to downward pressure on wages. I think that union-related anti-EU movement might be the only people making that point today, but it would have been uncontroversial in the 1970s or 1980s. It's obvious ground for Farage to stake out.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Extreme0 posted:

Nicola, the most left winged First Minister, Scotland has ever known? Does this hold any sort of weight fellow Goons?

Well, I mean it's impossible to say until she actually has the job. But it's not like the bar was set particularly high for left-wing First Ministers by Dewar, McLeish, McConnell & Salmond. And everything I've read has attributed the SNP focus on the poorer areas, the traditional Labour heartlands, on Sturgeon. Time will tell.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

KKKlean Energy posted:

That is a slice of ham on the kitchen floor.

He's a friendly chap, no need to be rude

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Spangly A posted:

Former. There are nearly 1.5k seats in Parliament, I'm not going to remember who's deputy mayor :(

All those seats in parliament and Barnes has never had any of them.
Also he's not even a Tory defection to ukip. Stood as an independent (and lost) in the council elections back in May. After Hillingdon conservatives deselected him. Getting kicked out of those swivel eyed loons must have felt low lol

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The tories are in birmingham and it makes me feel gross since I'm living here. Also for some reason the trains are now running worse than ever. Yay :toot:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

nuzak posted:

Well, Farage is offering them more than the tories or labour. 25% VAT on luxury products, raising tax allowance to £13500- once again, the left takes the working class vote for granted and then acts confused when they "vote against their interests". Ah, I bet they're all racist poors.

25% on "luxury products" would be a massive regressive step as, after all, sanitary products were classed as luxury items until 2001.

Raising the tax allowance to £13,500 isn't that bad of an idea, though, as it would take minimum wage people out of paying income tax.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Drone_Fragger posted:

The tories are in birmingham and it makes me feel gross since I'm living here. Also for some reason the trains are now running worse than ever. Yay :toot:

Cuts to bham council are three times the national average per household they should be run out of town by an angry mob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
camerons_britain.txt http://metro.co.uk/2014/09/30/tiny-bedroom-with-exposed-wires-in-london-is-advertised-for-74-a-week-4887646/

Metro posted:

Tiny bedroom the size of a desk advertised for £74 a week

As the London housing market continues to out-price most of the people that live there, a new room has just become available for the low price of £74 per week, all bills included.

The catch is that this ‘cosy’ room is actually just a bed, and a tiny one at that.

Wires can be seen spilling out onto the room/bed, which was posted to Spareroom.com as part of a six person house share.

Touted by the landlord as being a ‘ten minute walk’ from Greenwich park and near the Lewisham shopping centre, the lucky room hunter who wins the space will be living with an international crown of ‘easygoing people from Estonia, Latvia, Poland, Slovakia, Spain, and Portugal’.

Funny as it is, many people have claimed the unbelievable room is symptomatic of the shortage of affordable homes available in the capital city.

Generation Rent, a group who campaign for ‘better deals for private renters’ tweeted that the room ‘shows the depths that the London housing market has sunk to’.

In August a 5ft by 12ft storage cupboard in west London was put on the market for £7,500.

ALAB.

• Locked thread