Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

No that's pretty much it and it's pretty hard to jerk off on boot camp. I didn't

Fun to laugh at everyone falling all over on the ice though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mr. Nice! posted:

Great Lakes over the winter. ENJOY!

I'm from California I'm not even sure what seasons are like besides spring and summer.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Sunday is icecream day. Sunday is also hollywood shower day, and laugh at people spending their extra shower time going to church day.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I've been around snow and all that but let me tell you it was a huge shock to me. poo poo was ridiuclous -10+ windchill

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

It snowed the weekend I left for Orlando.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Christoff posted:

I've been around snow and all that but let me tell you it was a huge shock to me. poo poo was ridiuclous -10+ windchill

all I hear is a whole lot of crying (yeah it was total bullshit)

krispykremessuck posted:

because they're jubilant to be out of a job they didn't like, that's a fine thing to be happy about and tell other people about

pretty much!

LingcodKilla posted:

A lot of things about civilian life suck to. I find it kind of funny how much some guys rag on navy life but then rave about the GI bill. That's literally you reward for being in the service. You know what you would get equal time in almost any civilian job right out of high school? A loving pen with "good job <your name here>". Though the rants are amusing.

Get this into your head now: Navy life sucks. Your life is not your own, your weekends are not your own, get used to getting hosed every possible way. I see you're about to go to boot camp, so I guess you'll realize when you get there and then get to your first command. Accept the fact that it sucks, and maybe you won't hate it so much.

BUT! If you stay in, you learn the ropes, you can make it work. Some people like the lifestyle. I didn't.

AND! The GI Bill / vet status (resume goes to the top of pile) / training (got over 30 hours of college credit for A school) are the perks. Of course I'm raving about the GI Bill. I make over $2000 / month with GI Bill alone.

poopkitty posted:

But see, you work tho. I'm not going to once I retire. With a forever paycheck in Tx. I am going to GI Bill though because you would be dumb not to. Also I didn't give it to my kids because I earned it not them.

It's true. I work. And I loving love my job where I get treated like a human worthy of respect for my ability rather than the pin on my chest. Really not here to talk negatively about people staying in, but more to just add to the already massive pile of success stories for those contemplating getting out.

I did my 4 years, and within my first year getting out of service I make more than an e7 at 20 years makes, or even a master chief close to retiring. So, give me another 15 years and I'll be retiring too, and my quality of life during those 15 years will rule. I also won't have a single deployment, or a weekend of watch, or TAD, or standing guard, or safety stand-downs, or 12-16 hour days, or being told that my hair is touching my goddamn ear, or... or... or... or...

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

A lot of things about civilian life suck to. I find it kind of funny how much some guys rag on navy life but then rave about the GI bill. That's literally you reward for being in the service. You know what you would get equal time in almost any civilian job right out of high school? A loving pen with "good job <your name here>". Though the rants are amusing.

Civ life rules. Sorry you hate freedom. :911:

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I joined because I was really tired of working minimum wage in my mid 20's, so I definitely agree that the civilian life can be bad.

I'm also jealous of the people who can find enough to like about the service to do the full 20, but for the love of god, I don't get why in the world you would go to a job you hate for that long just to get a paycheck.

Being a civilian now is pretty dope, and if you are single and/or smart with money at all, I think it's hard to make a strong case for staying in for more than one hitch.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Mad Pino Rage posted:

Civ life rules. Sorry you hate freedom. :911:

Nah man he's giving up his freedom so we can have ours :patriot: so noble

another perk to being a vet: instant biker friends. Holy poo poo they love us.

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 6, 2014

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
I know everyone is mad at the civs for bragging about it but you know what was weird? the other day when my boss said "hey do you need any overtime to get anything done?" and I said "nah I'm good next week" and she said "cool, let me know if anything changes"

also the fact that I get paid for it now changes a lot

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Hi guys I like the Navy, sorry

edit: I've been Admin my whole career, ymmv

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

IT reservist looking for security clearance and tri-care. Boy I sure do I hope I learn something besides how to fold a bed and jerk off "in secret" around 1000 teenage boys.

Anyways you guys getting out are cool. Be happy you at least accomplished something and you are now reaping the rewards. Also go smoke some weed or something.

You chose a terrible time to go to boot camp unfortunately. Also you won't learn anything with a poo poo in boot but your A school probably won't suck.

I like that you chose the reserve route. I heard it's difficult to go active later though.

As far as getting out, I mean is no secret that quality of life in the Navy is loving terrible and has consistently gotten worse over the last nine years I've been in for, and turns out it's actually pretty easy to get hired on the outside, and it's only natural to be excited about being out so keep posting dudes that are out/getting out. If nothing else it'll help me to not do a dumb thing like reenlist.

DustyNuts posted:

Hi guys I like the Navy, sorry

edit: I've been Admin my whole career, ymmv

Pretty sure if I could have gotten into the information dominance side of the Navy I'd like it a lot more.

I work with a guy who's done one deployment in twelve years (as an FC!). If I would have had luck like that I'd totally do twenty. Maybe.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
It was the 'weekends are not yours, evenings are not yours, when you go home has zero correlation to your workload and effort, have your phone on you always, don't tell anyone where you're going, don't plan anything in your life >24 hours in advance because that's likely to change, etc etc etc' bullshit that made me loathe the Navy, not the crud pay and benefits.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Snowdens Secret posted:

It was the 'weekends are not yours, evenings are not yours, when you go home has zero correlation to your workload and effort, have your phone on you always, don't tell anyone where you're going, don't plan anything in your life >24 hours in advance because that's likely to change, etc etc etc' bullshit that made me loathe the Navy, not the crud pay and benefits.

Yup, that stuff was the worst. Wife and I were talking the other day about how we didn't really do much sightseeing/tourism stuff in California, and how we never really went further north than LA, and then I remembered that it was impossible to plan anything and taking a three day weekend to go up to SF or somewhere would involve burning 3 days of leave, cuz LOL @ getting a 72 hour chit approved!

Deployments would have been OK if the command would have made even a half rear end attempt to accommodate us poor bastards that worked nights, or not treated us like little babies whenever we pulled into a port.

edit: From what I understand, pre 9/11 Navy was pretty alright, and if I had been enlisted in the mid to late 90's I probably would have stuck around for retirement.

bengy81 fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 6, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

bengy81 posted:

treated us like little babies whenever we pulled into a port.

The worst we got was Lima, where we were confined to a total of around 6-8 city blocks, had to stay in groups of three, and had to be back on the bus by midnight, to meet the tugboat to get back out into the bay where we'd anchored out (no nukes in the harbor!)

The dumbest part was, it was all because as a submarine we were constantly falling under the command structure of people and groups that normally never had deployed underlings, so they didn't have a clue what to do and would seemingly compete for the most ridiculous policies to make sure none of us would gently caress up and get some captain (or, in some cases, Coast Guard or Air Force higher-up) we'd never heard of in trouble. When we left Lima, the frigate we were anchored next to fell back under their normal command, who immediately let them pull up to the pier and have overnight liberty.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

poo poo was never that bad for us but our curfew in Singapore was about 11 and you had to factor in getting back to the remote base, the bus ride, a checkpoint, then another bus ride.

My favorite deployment story is a mob of people sprinting down the streets on base in Singapore in heels and everything else to make it to base on time because the bus line was way too long

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

LingcodKilla posted:

I'm from California I'm not even sure what seasons are like besides spring and summer.

Wait till you learn what "Lake Effect" means :)

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Snowdens Secret posted:

Labor day weekend was fantastic. I took the family camping for 4 days and I didn't have to ask anybody's permission! It was like I was an adult!

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

LingcodKilla posted:

IT reservist looking for security clearance and tri-care. Boy I sure do I hope I learn something besides how to fold a bed and jerk off "in secret" around 1000 teenage boys.

Anyways you guys getting out are cool. Be happy you at least accomplished something and you are now reaping the rewards. Also go smoke some weed or something.

Do you know if youre going to get assigned to an IT billet after graduation? None of the ITs at my NOSC are billeted as ITs. Ironically, a GM2 and a civilian GS-something are our IT support.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

KetTarma posted:

Do you know if youre going to get assigned to an IT billet after graduation? None of the ITs at my NOSC are billeted as ITs. Ironically, a GM2 and a civilian GS-something are our IT support.

As a reservist I simply don't know. I'll be reporting to moffet airfield.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

KetTarma posted:

Do you know if youre going to get assigned to an IT billet after graduation?

If it works like IS, which it should since we are all one big, stupid IDC, he should be able to pick a local unit with an opening in CMS-ID at the schoolhouse.

KetTarma posted:

None of the ITs at my NOSC are billeted as ITs. Ironically, a GM2 and a civilian GS-something are our IT support.

Are you talking about the full-time FTS guys at the NOSC because if that's so then I wouldn't be surprised it is some random rate guy and a GS providing NMCI support instead of an actual ITman.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Are you talking about the full-time FTS guys at the NOSC because if that's so then I wouldn't be surprised it is some random rate guy and a GS providing NMCI support instead of an actual ITman.

Well, both. Our FTS IT guy is the GM and civilian.

All of the units based out of my NOSC are cargo handling, security, small boat maintenance, etc. As a result, all of the ITs I know that are not FTS are working outside of their rate. I imagine that if you live near a place like Ft Bragg, it'd be different.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?
Dubai sucks.

Deployment sucks.

Ships laundry sucks.

Galley sucks.

Being hot all the time sucks.

Hot showers even with the knob on cold sucks.

M-Div is awesome.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Our berthing was 90+ degrees at all times. It was mostly Marines so of course Navy didn't give a poo poo. Meanwhile the SNCO berthing and every other was like 50 degrees

I bought a $80 Vornado off amazon for our aisle because gently caress that poo poo

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
:chiefsay: New PFA changes are coming! Anyone heard anything new?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

tacopie posted:

:chiefsay: New PFA changes are coming! Anyone heard anything new?

New other then everyone gets rope and choked now regardless of height/weight, and everyone with a 40" waist is automatically on FEP regardless of total BCA/PRT scores?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

ManMythLegend posted:

New other then everyone gets rope and choked now regardless of height/weight, and everyone with a 40" waist is automatically on FEP regardless of total BCA/PRT scores?

I'm so glad that everyone will suffer the navy's asinine infallible fatty finder test.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
The above three posts are yet another reason why getting out is awesome. Those rules are so goddamn stupid. I work out if I feel like it and I don't ever have to run again.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ManMythLegend posted:

God that would be loving amazing.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

PneumonicBook posted:

I'm so glad that everyone will suffer the navy's asinine infallible fatty finder test.

Blame the Chief's Mess for this one.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

God that would be loving amazing.

I wasn't joking. That is literally the new PRT instruction.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ManMythLegend posted:

I wasn't joking. That is literally the new PRT instruction.

gently caress yeah.

Now the question is, will commands actually enforce it on khakis. They loving need to, and I hope they do.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

gently caress yeah.

Now the question is, will commands actually enforce it on khakis. They loving need to, and I hope they do.

I suspect that it will see spotty enforcement on the waterfront like every PRT instruction before it.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

ManMythLegend posted:

I suspect that it will see spotty enforcement on the waterfront like every PRT instruction before it.

At least they're starting to work out a way to combat fatlords who happen to have no neck. We had a few khaki fail our last PFA, I think the key to success is to put a chief who is not popular with the mess and obsessively observes rules in charge.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ManMythLegend posted:

I liked when our commodore would randomly drop into ships and weigh in both the mess and the wardroom.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

I liked when our commodore would randomly drop into ships and weigh in both the mess and the wardroom.

Hahaha, holy poo poo.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009

ManMythLegend posted:

Blame the Chief's Mess for this one.

Legend has it that during a BCA in front of many witnesses a junior sailor got taped once and was barely over and failed, then a "senior enlisted" got taped multiple ways, going further and further up his ribcage until he "passed". :chiefsay:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ManMythLegend posted:

Hahaha, holy poo poo.

Yeah that actually was part of a chain of a department head getting cut for being a fatty.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Here comes the PFA/taping arguments

Yo dudes the standards are lax. Quit being fat and eating midrats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Christoff posted:

Here comes the PFA/taping arguments

Yo dudes the standards are lax. Quit being fat and eating midrats

• Locked thread