Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
It was the 'weekends are not yours, evenings are not yours, when you go home has zero correlation to your workload and effort, have your phone on you always, don't tell anyone where you're going, don't plan anything in your life >24 hours in advance because that's likely to change, etc etc etc' bullshit that made me loathe the Navy, not the crud pay and benefits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

bengy81 posted:

treated us like little babies whenever we pulled into a port.

The worst we got was Lima, where we were confined to a total of around 6-8 city blocks, had to stay in groups of three, and had to be back on the bus by midnight, to meet the tugboat to get back out into the bay where we'd anchored out (no nukes in the harbor!)

The dumbest part was, it was all because as a submarine we were constantly falling under the command structure of people and groups that normally never had deployed underlings, so they didn't have a clue what to do and would seemingly compete for the most ridiculous policies to make sure none of us would gently caress up and get some captain (or, in some cases, Coast Guard or Air Force higher-up) we'd never heard of in trouble. When we left Lima, the frigate we were anchored next to fell back under their normal command, who immediately let them pull up to the pier and have overnight liberty.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

I liked when our commodore would randomly drop into ships and weigh in both the mess and the wardroom.

This sounds funny until you think of how much monthly paycheck, not to mention investment over career, has gone into having an O-7 wander the waterfront with a clipboard and tape measure. Surely there's something that billet could better spend its time at.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

DESRON commodores are just captains not admirals. And there really isn't a whole lot for them to do unless they're deployed.

Still more an argument that the billet shouldn't exist, than that it's money well spent paying that guy to terrorize fats

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

I'm moderately sure that this coming up in real life as a thing that gets people in trouble / keeps people from (re)enlisting is bullshit. Basing that on that either every media organization reporting it has been bullshit, it's all been third-hand stories filtered through American Airmen For Atheism or similar, or both.

I mean it's fun to mock the USAF for it but it whiffs of not really being real.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Also if you can't handle pushing out something that sounds like the words 'so help me god' to get that sweet sweet re-enlistment check in your hands, you're probably a Commie or the next Brianna Manning anyway

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Boon posted:

My personal opinion on it is that you shouldn't be able to earn an EP without at least an excellent on the PFA (or a waiver) and if you get an outstanding it's worth something (extra points for advancement?). Simply saying "don't you dare fail this or else!" while not incentivizing anything past the bare minimum is loving monumentally stupid.

Speaking as a cranky civilian with fading memory of sub life, I can assure you that a PFA excellent or outstanding mean gently caress all for the vast majority of technical and engineering jobs, and boosting promotion candidates based on their body fat or run speed instead of technical expertise or leadership merit is a recipe for disaster. We're not monkey Marines and our job isn't to haul 100 lbs of armor and SAW around all day, we need to be promoting based on who can track maintenance most effectively, gently caress it up the least, keep the plant running etc.

The focus on physical appearance is bizarre taken in combination with increased sea time and longer deployments that keep sailors inside the hatches all that much more of their enlistment, and the latter should be way, way more of a concern than the former.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
You don't need to get shot at to have a casualty, but this thread has hit on this multiple times, that the pushups/situps/run have negligible correlation to either your ability to carry an injured man out of a space, or be carried yourself - especially when you can be shrimpy as gently caress or heavy as hell based on height.

Now if they replace the run with the 100m Fatass Chief Drag While In FFE, including at least one ladder and watertight door, then maybe I'll see it differently.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Christoff posted:

But how are dudes on subs or suicidal nukes who work 16 hour days 6 days a week supposed to realistic stay fit?

You'd be surprised how many calories you burn chasing down the engineer to get maintenance approval while lugging a half shelf of reactor plant manuals. In fact, just make that our functional fitness test.

The Marine test (sorta) works for the Marines because a) shlepping around carrying a bunch of poo poo is a huge part of their regular day already, and b) their uniform of the day is already pretty much their worst case outfit (until you get into MOPP crap.) An FFE+SCBA is not the uniform of the day for pretty much anyone, and getting an entire command in and out of them to run a course would take an eternity. You could mitigate -some- of that by having an off-hull course on base with a poo poo ton of spare suits + breathers, but that wouldn't help you in your Bumfuckistan liberty port when some genius decides everyone's due for PRT halfway through deployment.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

Good call, but I prefer to think of Admiral Bulkeley as my spirit animal.

He's even wearing Service Dress Khaki... :swoon:

This is the correct answer. MacArthur didn't get thrown out of the Philippines for anything nearly salacious enough for sailors to hold him up as a role model.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
HEY THAT LOOKS loving FAMILIAR

E: I beat you Ket because your link is busted

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
ETMS, and since this guy got bagged in Albany I'm going to guess it's either taught in Ballston Spa or he's been hauling it around a loooong time. Mine's about ten years old and it's been squished a bit in various moves so the mounting distances aren't perfect any more.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Angry Fish posted:

it's a stolen valor post.

he's wearing the army beret, an army air team shirt, the ITbadge, and a actually pretty decent neckerchef.

he looks 15, in my opinion.

That neckerchief looks like dogshit

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Gunktacular posted:

What do you mean by less money? Less than what?

It costs way more than you'd think to pull into a port. Tug fees, pilot fees, harbor fees, pier services etc. We occasionally changed ports because one was cheaper, or far more often skipped ports altogether when someone at squadron couldn't cough up the dough last minute. Note that this comes out of a completely different budget from things like spare parts or Skilcraft pens. The nice thing with that and frigates is that you only have so long before running out of fuel (and, after that, food) and I don't seem to recall UNREPs being all that common away from CVBG ops.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
If you think a frigate crew is close and tightly knit

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

So, for a normal change of command, they usually make a big ceremony out of it (at least ashore), where the outgoing and incoming COs read their orders and give speeches and there's cake and all that. What do they do in cases like this? Do it at morning quarters? All hands email? Not say anything and suddenly there's just the deputy commodore up there driving the boat one day?

In our case we pulled in and the captain went ashore and was never seen again. The yeomen must've sent his personal effects after him. Some new guy was there the next morning, signed into the reactor log, called everyone up onto the pier and gave a speech telling us not to gently caress him. He then left and as far as I can tell was also never seen again. A full bird arrived from the States a few days later and properly took us over.

Our XO got a career-ending letter even though by the sound of it he was near to having to be physically restrained trying to get us to stop.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Gunktacular posted:

I spent half my time working on my resume/looking for jobs and half my time trying not to kill myself from boredom.

Also, 80% of the class rated "Job Stability" as their number one priority in finding a new job. Call me crazy, but I think that stability is probably the best part about active duty in that its pretty drat hard to get fired short of a Felony or literally not showing up to work.

Makes you wonder how many are getting forced out because they're fat or whatever too many years for-pay grade.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
NoVa is so much nicer than Maryland it ain't even funny

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
WALAWALAWALAWALAWALAWALAWALAWALA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Boon posted:

Anytime a collision happens it's for a stupid reason and the explanation always seems like a ridiculous escapade.

That said, from what it seems like in the video, they tried to overtake and realized last moment that they were about to run into shoal and attempted to steer behind the other ship. There are just very few other explanations for turning right into a ship that is literally 300 yards on your beam.

LEFT

NEVER CROSS TRAFFIC TURNING LEFT

Besides that, you could be right, which seems odd because if Suez is anything like Panama it's pretty controlled as far as speed and interval go and the channel is very well defined.

• Locked thread