Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bengy81
May 8, 2010
I joined because I was really tired of working minimum wage in my mid 20's, so I definitely agree that the civilian life can be bad.

I'm also jealous of the people who can find enough to like about the service to do the full 20, but for the love of god, I don't get why in the world you would go to a job you hate for that long just to get a paycheck.

Being a civilian now is pretty dope, and if you are single and/or smart with money at all, I think it's hard to make a strong case for staying in for more than one hitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Snowdens Secret posted:

It was the 'weekends are not yours, evenings are not yours, when you go home has zero correlation to your workload and effort, have your phone on you always, don't tell anyone where you're going, don't plan anything in your life >24 hours in advance because that's likely to change, etc etc etc' bullshit that made me loathe the Navy, not the crud pay and benefits.

Yup, that stuff was the worst. Wife and I were talking the other day about how we didn't really do much sightseeing/tourism stuff in California, and how we never really went further north than LA, and then I remembered that it was impossible to plan anything and taking a three day weekend to go up to SF or somewhere would involve burning 3 days of leave, cuz LOL @ getting a 72 hour chit approved!

Deployments would have been OK if the command would have made even a half rear end attempt to accommodate us poor bastards that worked nights, or not treated us like little babies whenever we pulled into a port.

edit: From what I understand, pre 9/11 Navy was pretty alright, and if I had been enlisted in the mid to late 90's I probably would have stuck around for retirement.

bengy81 fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 6, 2014

bengy81
May 8, 2010

buttplug posted:

Here's a good place to start:

Obviously, cutting a couple GOFOs isn't going to solve the problem directly (negligible number moving for those GS MBA types), but the level of good-idea fairyism and stupid hairbrained ideas will probably decrease.

Current GOFOs may have to actually and trim fatty defense contracts (no shortage there) instead of pawning them off on some other senior officer to bastardize even further until he/she clasps their next star. I'm all for doing more with less *when its done right*. If we can do with less indians, we can certainly do with fewer chiefs as well.

Welp, good to know the old boys club is dead!
:911:

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Mad Dragon posted:

It'll be funny when the only people still in are all the old fart flag officers and they have to do all the bitch work the enlisted used to do.

Maybe I can pitch this as a sitcom. I'll call it Navy All-Stars. Can't be any worse than The Last Ship. :shrug:

Death by Administration!!!!!!

bengy81
May 8, 2010

buttplug posted:

Oh, is that what it is? I totally didn't get that the first time around.

Again, re-read what I loving posted. You don't get to make jokes about the Navy - officers or otherwise - until you're actually loving in it. None of what you said went above my head, but clearly the point I was trying to convey went way over yours.

Oh poo poo, when did this become the military.com forums?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010
That's actually pretty much the attitude of every single lifer junior officer I ever met. So congrats Boot! You just got to experience your first bit of lovely Navy suckiness!

• Locked thread