Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

buttplug posted:

lol gently caress you...:horse:

Chalk that up to another pet peeve of mine.. I detest listening to civilians rant and rave about the military or make military jokes when they've never actually been in the military. Really not sure why, because I am generally pretty laid back when it comes to typical hot-button issues like politics (and continue to become more laid back over the years with that sort of poo poo).

It's like that spouse that explain how the military works to newer spouses who don't know any better. It's like Ensigns talking down to other more junior Ensigns, it's like every time I go anywhere and some dependa pulls out her dependa ID card and asks for a military discount. It irks the ever-loving gently caress out of me. Dunno why.

Life is hard and makes me sad sometimes too. This is because I am a huge bitch, just like you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Just to dogpile I'm getting an extra 6k a year while pursuing my degree atop pell grants that I wouldn't be eligible for if I had finished my Thomas Edison degree. 40k in grant money + G.I. benefits over 36 months is a great return on my enlistment imo. Knocking out some general education requirements with T.A. from a decent online school and attending a university in a state that'll pay you sounds like an optimal situation for someone with free time during their enlistment.

I'm not doing engineering though, so ymmv

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Just a reminder that depending on the university they will mandate that you have healthcare as part of the tuition that the G.I. Bill pays. Also there is the 5 year OEF/OIF health insurance program for anyone that at any point received hazardous duty pay / imminent danger pay / combat zone pay.

Also Obamacare has some good subsidies if your income just hit 0$ a year.

Also vets that are broke get seen by the VA for free soooooooo

• Locked thread