Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

ManMythLegend posted:

I wasn't joking. That is literally the new PRT instruction.

No it's not. Go read up on sailorbob. The majority of that info was bad gouge from a brainstorming session at some CFL meeting. OPNAV N1 said it's purely conjecture at this point and nothing is actually in writing.

This came from an O6:

quote:

My CFL has spoken with with the PFA folks at N1:

"There are no policy changes at the present time. The instruction is still in draft and nothing has been approved by N1. OPNAV 6110.1J is what all member should be referencing for the upcoming and future PFA cycles. No official release or expected release date at this time."

buttplug fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

ManMythLegend posted:

I hope this is right, but I have zero faith that it's not going to happen. This is the same sort of language that gets used every time an early draft of an instruction works it's way out to the fleet.

quote:

1) Bad day retests no longer authorized

2) BCA measurements, all Sailors will get taped regardless if they meet weight vs height. Males with a waist measurement >40 inches and females 36 inches will join FEP automatically.

3) Mandatory mark of 2.0 under military bearing on evaluations for 1st or 2nd PFA failures.

4) Conducting PFAs with a minimum of four months apart no longer a requirement.

5) Doing the PFA on the bike has been adjusted and will be harder with no gender difference on results (different criteria/levels for male or female) it will be the same for both and will no longer be translated into a run time, basically you will get a PRT score not a run time equivalent.

6) Under CO's responsibilities they have removed the "Integrate PT into the workweek, consistent with mission and operational requirements" and will now read: "Commands SHALL integrate PT into the workweek and during working hours" (eliminating some of the barriers commands have across the navy, i.e. "We have way too many things going on, we have too many flights or we have lots of maintenance to do).

7) CFL certifications will be NEC driven.

8) Random BCAs requirement in conjunction with the daily urinalysis list (*** this one is actually under review ***)

9) Those that score well in the PRT will be allowed to wear an alternative PT shirt (this one again under review) due to the many uniform changes in the last few years.

Numbers 2 and 8 are the only onesof any noteworthiness - I can see no. 2 making it through to the final instruction - height/weight *and* BCA. Fair enough - AF already does that (anything >39" is auto-failure). However, number 8 will *never* make the cut and is just plain stupid. The rest are trivial changes.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

ManMythLegend posted:

lol. Welcome to he Navy. Enjoy your stay.

This just doesn't pass the bullshit test. We can barely heard the cats for urinalysis every morning, how are they going to do a no-poo poo BCA every morning? You'd have people changing out of uniform just to go stand in line and get rope & choked. Go check out the thread on Sailorbob. There are a lot of post-major command guys in there literally going "that's the stupidest thing I've seen in 25+ years". I mean I've seen the Navy do some completely stupid poo poo (LCS), but this is exceptionally unreasonable.

What is not unreasonable is having people do height/weight *and* rope and choke during the BCA portion of the normal PFA cycle....

poopkitty posted:

A 36" waist on a female is INSANE. Because of the awful method for measuring (and my genetics, thanks for the booty Mom) I fail the tape when I have the CFL do it for grins, but am 10-15 pounds under so I don't have to get taped. I have a 30" waist and cannot imagine 6 more inches. Gross.

I guess it depends on if they're doing the full-up rope & choke (waist minus neck plugged into a formula) or if they're just going to measure your waist and say "it's over X inches, welcome to FEP". Big difference. I know the AF considers it an auto-failure if you're over 39" regardless of what you get on the PRT itself (not sure what the number is for females). Personally I have always been under weight and hate the idea of the rope and choke because 1) it's inaccurate as gently caress and 2) CFLs gently caress it up all the time. I'd hate to see people's careers and livelihoods literally hinge on whether or not some disgruntled E-8 is measuring his gut correctly...

buttplug fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 8, 2014

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

ManMythLegend posted:

Leave Sailor Bob out of this. Every policy change by the Navy has a host of old captains and commanders come out of the woodwork to bitch about how stupid everything is, and how the old navy was better at everything on that site.

The bottom line here is that a "random BCA" already exists in the urinalysis program. Now they pee and get roped and choked. Honestly it's no more of a boondoggle then urinalysis normally is. It will directly cost the Navy $0 to implement the program which means it will happen.

To put it a better way, the Navy spent millions of dollars to buy breathalyzers for every command in the service, even though that was multiple orders of magnitude dumber then random BCA's.

De-couple yourself from your SWO mentality for just a second ("it will directly cost the Navy $0 to implement"). How many commands *actually* breathalyze people as they walk up the brow these days? - there's a program we've spent millions on doing exactly fuckall. This program *will* cost money in the big scheme of things. Just because there's no direct cost doesn't mean it won't have mission impact and overall cost the government money. You have to consider the secondary and tertiary effects, not only the immediate benefits (loving millenials! kidding, kidding).

This is rampant post-war good idea-fairyism at its best. If the Navy wants to force shape, then loving force shape via retention boards...don't take the passive-aggressive way out. It's almost like we have an eval/FITREP system for exactly that purpose...

This *will* cost the Navy time *and* money - in terms of both man-hours and productivity. Keep reading the draft instruction, they're requiring commands to up the minimum number of hours of mandatory PT per week which will be another time/workday suck, and they're making it and inspectable program as well. That poo poo will equate to actual, tangible dollars and will have a real impact on the fleet. It's ridiculous ideas ideas like these that get kicked around at some random OPNAV brainstorming session full of O5s desperate for their bird that are going to continue to cause us to hemorrhage good people who are tired of the bullshit. This is likely just a part of the post-war sinosodial ramp-down, but still, it's a silly, convoluted way of implementing a reduction in forces.

And sailorbob isn't just a bunch of random retired dudes. *Many* flags lurk those boards and several of them post regularly. A *lot* of the O5s/O6s on there are in command, major command, or immediate post-major command. Yea, there are a couple of old coots on there who get their panties in a wad and wax nostalgic but a lot of the folks on those boards have pretty good connections.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Boon posted:

It's you man, you're the most SWO non-current SWO I've ever interacted with.

Me giving people on these boards for over a decade notwithstanding, I'm not even close to buying into the SWO mentality. Hell, I haven't even drank the Navy kool-aid. I generally still find myself disagreeing with or going against the grain on a good majority of the decisions we make because they're stupid, fruitless, and knee-jerk at best.

That being said, MML you're more or less right, I can't point to any direct effect SB has had on any Big Navy decisions over the years, not gonna argue that one...but that still doesn't make it any less obnoxious of an idea. I just don't understand why we have to skirt around issues. If the Navy needs a reduction in force, hold retention boards and poo poo-can some dead weight. Why bother jumping through the hoops of [slowly] force-shaping by dramatically altering the PFA on a whim? Because the CNO likes to run marathons? That's loving retarded. We're taking the 15 mile scenic route to walk down the block.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

ManMythLegend posted:

Oh yeah, it's totally obnoxious and stupid, and further erodes any trust the fleet has in it's chain of comman. I wish we could just have a board to trim the fat (heh), but unfortunately the Navy already painted itself into a corner by saying that there will be no more Retention Boards. A statement it had to make because it cocked that whole debacle up pretty royally.

Here's a good place to start:

Obviously, cutting a couple GOFOs isn't going to solve the problem directly (negligible number moving for those GS MBA types), but the level of good-idea fairyism and stupid hairbrained ideas will probably decrease.

Current GOFOs may have to actually and trim fatty defense contracts (no shortage there) instead of pawning them off on some other senior officer to bastardize even further until he/she clasps their next star. I'm all for doing more with less *when its done right*. If we can do with less indians, we can certainly do with fewer chiefs as well.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Mad Dragon posted:

It'll be funny when the only people still in are all the old fart flag officers and they have to do all the bitch work the enlisted used to do.

Maybe I can pitch this as a sitcom. I'll call it Navy All-Stars. Can't be any worse than The Last Ship. :shrug:

The command I just came from was sorta like that. We had so many officers and so few enlisted running around, us O3s were no-poo poo on the same level as an E5 at best. It was not uncommon to walk onto our compound and see O3s thru O5s sweeping the motorpool, weed-whacking, raking leaves, doing PMS on humvees, and moving thousands of pounds of gear from point A to point B. *shrugs* poo poo's all relative. Just look at the Pentagon...

ManMythLegend posted:

I'm what you call an "ideas man".

aka "Good Idea Fairy".:angel:

buttplug fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 11, 2014

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

LingcodKilla posted:

Put the dummy in an officers uniform and watch half the fleet time out due to deep moral convictions.

Are you even in the Navy yet? Save the hurrrr officer hurrr jokes until you're actually a sailor.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
Read my above post again.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

LingcodKilla posted:

Sure thing dude but it's literally a crack at enlisted disliking officers so much they would rather fail a test involving moving a representation of their disdain than just move it.

Oh, is that what it is? I totally didn't get that the first time around.

Again, re-read what I loving posted. You don't get to make jokes about the Navy - officers or otherwise - until you're actually loving in it. None of what you said went above my head, but clearly the point I was trying to convey went way over yours.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Boon posted:

Again, most SWO non-SWO ever

lol gently caress you...:horse:

Chalk that up to another pet peeve of mine.. I detest listening to civilians rant and rave about the military or make military jokes when they've never actually been in the military. Really not sure why, because I am generally pretty laid back when it comes to typical hot-button issues like politics (and continue to become more laid back over the years with that sort of poo poo).

It's like that spouse that explain how the military works to newer spouses who don't know any better. It's like Ensigns talking down to other more junior Ensigns, it's like every time I go anywhere and some dependa pulls out her dependa ID card and asks for a military discount. It irks the ever-loving gently caress out of me. Dunno why.

buttplug fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 11, 2014

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Sir Lucius posted:

I would drink budweiser before I drank Sam Adams. But then again I'm also gay for blue moon.

Da fuq is wrong witchu boi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
FFGs are useless, which is why you would have been so tight-knit MML. With no real mission to speak of (save for being a bullet sponge), you all have to be BFFs to pass the time.

• Locked thread