Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Nevermind.

Boon fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
In other news, our friends over in the USAF continue to be the vanguard of the US' god-fearing crusaders of righteousness wing of the US armed forces

My favorite part is that the USAF PAO's have no idea why this happened.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Octopode posted:

It's actually not for no reason--the actual portion of US Law that governs enlistment and the enlistment oath does not have provisions for omitting the religious elements, but as of yet, no one has brought a legal case up about it to change it. The Air Force's new regulations are simply coming into alignment with the actual law. The option to affirm the oath rather than swearing it also, apparently, doesn't exist.

If you wanted to get super technical about it, anyone in the last several years that affirmed their oath or omitted the final portion may not actually be legally enlisted as the law requires. Good luck with that court case, though.

I actually went and looked up the relevant section in the USC. It's true. Interestingly enough, it was amended in 1962 to include the words, "So help me God" - likely in response to the evils of communism.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

buttplug posted:

De-couple yourself from your SWO mentality for just a second ("it will directly cost the Navy $0 to implement"). How many commands *actually* breathalyze people as they walk up the brow these days? - there's a program we've spent millions on doing exactly fuckall. This program *will* cost money in the big scheme of things. Just because there's no direct cost doesn't mean it won't have mission impact and overall cost the government money. You have to consider the secondary and tertiary effects, not only the immediate benefits (loving millenials! kidding, kidding).

This is rampant post-war good idea-fairyism at its best. If the Navy wants to force shape, then loving force shape via retention boards...don't take the passive-aggressive way out. It's almost like we have an eval/FITREP system for exactly that purpose...

This *will* cost the Navy time *and* money - in terms of both man-hours and productivity. Keep reading the draft instruction, they're requiring commands to up the minimum number of hours of mandatory PT per week which will be another time/workday suck, and they're making it and inspectable program as well. That poo poo will equate to actual, tangible dollars and will have a real impact on the fleet. It's ridiculous ideas ideas like these that get kicked around at some random OPNAV brainstorming session full of O5s desperate for their bird that are going to continue to cause us to hemorrhage good people who are tired of the bullshit. This is likely just a part of the post-war sinosodial ramp-down, but still, it's a silly, convoluted way of implementing a reduction in forces.

And sailorbob isn't just a bunch of random retired dudes. *Many* flags lurk those boards and several of them post regularly. A *lot* of the O5s/O6s on there are in command, major command, or immediate post-major command. Yea, there are a couple of old coots on there who get their panties in a wad and wax nostalgic but a lot of the folks on those boards have pretty good connections.

It's you man, you're the most SWO non-current SWO I've ever interacted with.

My personal opinion on it is that you shouldn't be able to earn an EP without at least an excellent on the PFA (or a waiver) and if you get an outstanding it's worth something (extra points for advancement?). Simply saying "don't you dare fail this or else!" while not incentivizing anything past the bare minimum is loving monumentally stupid.

Boon fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 9, 2014

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I was talking about buttplug though :confused:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Reminds me of the income inequality, wage gap, and education opportunity gaps.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Snowdens Secret posted:

Speaking as a cranky civilian with fading memory of sub life, I can assure you that a PFA excellent or outstanding mean gently caress all for the vast majority of technical and engineering jobs, and boosting promotion candidates based on their body fat or run speed instead of technical expertise or leadership merit is a recipe for disaster. We're not monkey Marines and our job isn't to haul 100 lbs of armor and SAW around all day, we need to be promoting based on who can track maintenance most effectively, gently caress it up the least, keep the plant running etc.

The focus on physical appearance is bizarre taken in combination with increased sea time and longer deployments that keep sailors inside the hatches all that much more of their enlistment, and the latter should be way, way more of a concern than the former.

It's all important though and physical fitness should be encouraged for a wide number of reasons. Further, rewarding fitness (as if an excellent is difficult to come by for a healthy individual) would do little to break an advancement system that is based on such stupid rules as "You are an outstanding sailor who has turned this Department/Division/Workcenter around but you're going to be ranked low because you just got here and you need to show growth"

Besides, some day we will actually take a hit where DC does matter and if I had to depend on someone to drag my rear end out of a space it sure wouldn't be FC3 McFatfuck no matter how good he is at keeping his system functioning.

Boon fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 9, 2014

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Doesn't the USMC have two tests? A general PFA and then a Combat Fitness Test or something like that? USN could do something similar for sea-duty sailors.

Again though, never going to happen. As someone mentioned today (about program offices and acquisitions) we have the blind, leading the blind, who are leading other blind.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Go to Norfolk.

(Don't go to Norfolk)

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Again, most SWO non-SWO ever

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DownByTheWooter posted:

I think it's a god drat shame that the Williams' trigraph isn't JEW instead of JSW. Missed opportunity for a good chuckle on various message traffic, imo

It was a deliberate decision, I assure you.

That didn't stop me from listing them as such on all internal items when we were discussing their TLAM cert though.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Schlabbalabba posted:

So after Tricare is deducted, I make $25? Haha

http://www.statisticbrain.com/health-insurance-cost-statistics/

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

KetTarma posted:

I don't really think joining the Reserves for healthcare is a great idea. I did it because it'd pay better than any part time job I'd be able to hold as a full time student taking heavy-duty classes and my wife's workplace insurance is utter poo poo.

As soon as my job's insurance kicks in once I go fulltime after graduation, I'm resigning from the Reserves, woo.

This.

GI Bill + Reserves will basically put you soooooooo far ahead of your peers.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
NSA HR drive time = no additional time :smuggo:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Just sat through the SWO detailer brief to humor my bossman. If I hadn't already made up my mind to get out, that brief pretty much sold it. It's like receiving an executive summary of everything wrong with the Navy.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
There Germany goes, starting poo poo again. I love the exultation when the collision happens.

Hey MML, were in the pipeline when they introduced the WTI course or are you familiar with it?

Boon fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Anytime a collision happens it's for a stupid reason and the explanation always seems like a ridiculous escapade.

That said, from what it seems like in the video, they tried to overtake and realized last moment that they were about to run into shoal and attempted to steer behind the other ship. There are just very few other explanations for turning right into a ship that is literally 300 yards on your beam.

• Locked thread