Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Yeah, I definitely agree with that. Emma, I feel that the main character is simply too unlikeable, and in Sense and Sensibility the whole "sense" part just feels too sterile to me. Pride and Prejudice hits this beautiful middle ground.

Also, Hieronymous, your write-ups are great and I'm really enjoying them. One thing I feel is odd is how outré the younger girls are and why this is the case - I get that this family is pretty eccentric, but the younger girls are all just gently caress-ups. I feel as though there must be some reason for this that I'm not getting, some irony that's contingent on knowledge I just don't have. Any thoughts on that? Basically, a commentary on how loving annoying younger siblings are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

I really enjoy the development of Elizabeth and Wickham - especially Elizabeth, being the narrative focus. They act against their words and thoughts - Wickham, especially, is a magnificent hypocrite. Elizabeth is the very typically "smartest person I know" - she gets this role by people, and she genuinely is very clever. The problem is, being smarter than everyone else in your narrow circle of acquaintance means that you're designated "smart person", and so it's easy to get stuck in your prejudices. I'm sure we've all seen this in our circles' "smart persons", and it's a very interesting observation to make of a hero(ine), I think.

It also works well with both titular motifs - other people's prejudices feed into Elizabeth's own pride, and gives her her greatest character flaw.

• Locked thread