Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Kelfeftaf posted:

- I like how every man's income is publicly known. Were people just really open about how much they made during this time period?

Pretty sure that income being private is mostly an American thing, and I think a lot of companies encourage the idea that discussing your salary with your coworkers is illegal (it definitely isn't). I walked into the room where my French housemate was Skyping with her parents, and pretty much the first thing she said was "My parents want to know how much money you make!" I was caught off-balance because nobody has ever asked that before.

Great analysis, Hieronymous! There are so many lines that I've sort of glossed over in previous readings of the book, it's nice to learn the context behind them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread