Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bhester posted:

Didn't the 2006 One Night Stand crowd boo Rey Mysterio when he went against Sabu for the World Championship?

They booed him at One Night Stand 2005 when he did a 619 against Psicosis to cap off an awful match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Surprised they haven't used Backlund since. Even though I can't stop laughing at the AE podcast likening him to Lemongrab. "A HUNDRED YEARS CHICKEN WING! A HUNDRED YEARS!"

Didn't they show Backlund at Wrestlemania or something and he was picking/cleaning his teeth? I lost it when I saw him doing that.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Surprised they haven't used Backlund since. Even though I can't stop laughing at the AE podcast likening him to Lemongrab. "A HUNDRED YEARS CHICKEN WING! A HUNDRED YEARS!"

Well now I want to see Backlund as GM of Raw and all the faces playing childish pranks on him all the time.

Bhester posted:

Didn't the 2006 One Night Stand crowd boo Rey Mysterio when he went against Sabu for the World Championship?

The only thing I remember about the crowd from ONS 2006 apart from how much they hated Cena was how much they hated Orton and cheered for his death at the hands of Kurt Angle.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Bhester posted:

that was, if anything a reaction to rey's needless pandering to the ECW crowd and doing the smart marks most hated wrestling maneuver, the 619.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

LightsGameraAction posted:

The only thing I remember about the crowd from ONS 2006 apart from how much they hated Cena was how much they hated Orton and cheered for his death at the hands of Kurt Angle.

At one point a "Go gently caress Cena!" chant broke out directed at Orton.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Justin Godscock posted:

At one point a "Go gently caress Cena!" chant broke out directed at Orton.

He should, Cena sucks.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

ayn rand hand job posted:

He should, Cena is sexy.

Fixed for :gay:

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

EugeneJ posted:

They booed him at One Night Stand 2005 when he did a 619 against Psicosis to cap off an awful match

that match wasn't awful? I mean it wasn't great but it was fine

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

Cardboard Box posted:

that match wasn't awful? I mean it wasn't great but it was fine

Benoit/Guerrero was worse imo

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

yeah I'm still amazed how boring that match was

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Cardboard Box posted:

yeah I'm still amazed how boring that match was

As I remember it Guerrero didn't even want to do the match to begin with and it didn't help that he broke his nose right at the beginning.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

The crowd couldn't give a gently caress either as they spent the entire match heckling Edge.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

ayn rand hand job posted:

He should, Cena sucks.

Actually, I think you'll find that let's go Cena.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
Yeah, it was a match between two guys who are on the same brand, have had a lot of matches there together recently and both were not in ECW for all that long.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i think that if they had had a really great wrestling match the fans would've taken to it but for several reasons i guess it just wasn't happening that night

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
The fans didn't like that Rey was wearing his WWE gear at ONS 2005. He switched it up the next year. That Sabu match was pretty good, actually.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

yeah rey vs sabu was actually real good, I remember loving that match

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Terrible finish though

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I don't remember how they were for the rest of the card but I seem to recall the crowd making GBS threads on Brock/Rock from Summerslam 2002 since they all heard Rock was leaving again to make another movie.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

The crowd was solely making GBS threads on Rock and was very into Brock in that match. The rest of that show is excellent and I don't recall the crowd being particularly obnoxious at any point.

Now Summerslam '04, that was a crowd that shat on everything.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
What show has had the absolute worst crowd? I'm talking just loving dead the whole show.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I think I've heard it commonly cited as some Great American Bash from early 90s but I don't remember. TNA has had some astoundingly silent crowds, I remember either the 2012 or 2013 Lockdown PPV being so silent you could hear a pin drop most of the night

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

D2D '06 has a has a really bad crowd to match the show's quality. People go from indifference to making GBS threads on the show to people just straight up leaving, and culminating with a huge fight outside the arena after the show.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I'm trying to remember which one but there was a show where the match was so loving boring that a couple of fans who were dressed as Hogan and Savage respectively started doing promos against each other and the crowd was more invested in that.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Fauxhawk Express posted:

D2D '06 has a has a really bad crowd to match the show's quality. People go from indifference to making GBS threads on the show to people just straight up leaving, and culminating with a huge fight outside the arena after the show.

Two points to expand on that: People started leaving before the first match was even over. They clearly saw the iceberg.

And a few reports stated that the fight outside the arena was better than any of the matches on the card.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
You can hear any energy left in the crowd on D2D die off as soon as they announce that Sabu won't be in the Elimination Chamber match.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

I had the hardest time figuring out which ppv D2D was. Acronyms are the devil.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

OldTennisCourt posted:

I'm trying to remember which one but there was a show where the match was so loving boring that a couple of fans who were dressed as Hogan and Savage respectively started doing promos against each other and the crowd was more invested in that.

Wasn't this during the infamous Lesnar/Goldberg match at Wrestlemania XX?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Wasn't this during the infamous Lesnar/Goldberg match at Wrestlemania XX?

There was a fair bit of noise then, the crowd were pretty invested in making GBS threads all over that match.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Memento posted:

There was a fair bit of noise then, the crowd were pretty invested in making GBS threads all over that match.

Well, yeah of course, but I remember hearing a story about fans dressed as Hulk Hogan and Macho Man starting poo poo during the match and security had to tell them to stop. That's why there's a small Randy Savage chant or something during the match to break up the merciless making GBS threads.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

OldTennisCourt posted:

What show has had the absolute worst crowd? I'm talking just loving dead the whole show.

2000 era WCW had some pretty flat crowds at PPVs.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Well, yeah of course, but I remember hearing a story about fans dressed as Hulk Hogan and Macho Man starting poo poo during the match and security had to tell them to stop. That's why there's a small Randy Savage chant or something during the match to break up the merciless making GBS threads.

Yeah, this sounds about right.The thing was that the guys weren't really starting poo poo, they were actually having fun and just shooting in character promos and the entire area around them just got super into it and ignored the match. The story goes that Vince got loving pissed off and wanted them to stop it which is why security got called. That seems like bullshit though.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I don't watch a lot of current wrestling but the crowds always seem dead now. Unless it's a smarky chant it's usually complete silence.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

P sure that was a raw

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

mkay0 posted:

P sure that was a raw

Yea it was a RAW from last year.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Eat My Fuc posted:

Yea it was a RAW from last year.

I think you're thinking of the RAW after Wrestlmania in 2013. There was a Savage chant, but the crowd were chanting like 50 different things during the Orton/Shemaus match including JBL, Michael Cole, Jerry, Cotton Candy, Randy Savage and RVD.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I miss Macho Fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76L9ZoEFfzA

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

OldTennisCourt posted:

That was WrestleMania 20 during the Goldberg/Lesnar match where, partway through the match, you can see almost everyone on the hard camera side turn to one direction then start chanting "HOGAN!". The guy who was Hogan talked to WrestleCrap and said he was sitting there when a guy dressed as Savage started to taunt him playfully, he responded by getting up on his chair and air-guitaring which got MSG's attention.

wizardstick
Apr 27, 2013

coconono posted:

2000 era WCW had some pretty flat crowds at PPVs.

Didn't WCW hit problems anytime they tried to run Sturgis Rally based PPVs? Bischoff and all being big marks for biker culture but not realising the audience would generally be racist and uninterested in fake fights?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The thing I always thought about WCW crowds was that it drew a lot of fans who were only interested in the nWo and were fans of the cool new fad more so than wrestling. Also, a lot more drunks in the WCW crowds.

• Locked thread