Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

OldTennisCourt posted:

December to Dismember

The very first WWE-ECW show was an absolute disaster before it even began. With a horrendous buyrate the show didn’t even please the miniscule amount of viewers it had. The undercard matches consisted of boring, short matches that no one could have possibly cared about and which just cemented WWE-ECW’s terrible status. Then came the main event. An Elimination Chamber match between CM Punk, Big Show, Bobby Lashley, Hardcore Holly and RVD. Instead of having Punk win we were instead treated to him being eliminated first and Lashley winning, with the entire crowd booing the show so badly it went off the air 15 minutes early. This was the PPV that destroyed ECW.

A note on this event - The original listed card for the "EXTREME ELIMINATION CHAMBER" was Punk-Show-Lashley-RVD-Test-Sabu, with 2 ECW originals in the match. Apparently at the request of Vince, Sabu was written out halfway through the show and replaced with Hardcore Holly, who nobody was excited to see ever. I think that was one of the biggest reasons the crowd poo poo all over that match. Watching the entire event, especially in hindsight, it's very hard to believe that Vince wasn't trying to intentionally sabotage the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

LordPants posted:

Paul flipped out and quit or got fired after that event due to Vince's meddling if I remember.

From what I've read it was a little bit of both. When the show was over and everyone was aptly making GBS threads all over it Heyman tried to use it as justification why he should have been able to book the show on his own without Vince's input, and Vince spun it as "this is what happens when I don't have total creative control". So Vince definitely scapegoated Heyman and probably used it as justification to either fire him or get him off of booking, but Heyman was furious and done at that point anyway by the sound of it.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Sprecherscrow posted:

It seems wrong to say that DtD destroyed ECW since it lasted another 3 years.

Yes and no. Following the success of the original One Night Stand there was an actual effort on WWE's part to revive ECW as it's own proper brand with it's own roster, rival programming, and PPV events that all ran concurrently to WWE. The idea was to try and re-capture the interest from the Monday Night Wars by creating "competition" that couldn't fail because it was ultimately bankrolled by WWE. Vince put Heyman in charge at first, but of course the idea was so insane that no network would touch it. They tried throughout 06-07 to repeatedly drum up interest in the concept but according to basically everyone who worked there at the time, since Vince ultimately signed the paychecks he never got comfortable with letting a "rival" brand exist without his input. As a result he wound up undercutting just about every idea to promote the show with an idea that he could use to promote his other shows (ECW Champ Big Show, Lashley, ECW champ McMahon) and ran Heyman out of the company in the process.

So yes ECW did last for another 3 years, but DtD was basically the last nail in the coffin of the best shot ECW ever had of being a legitimate brand name again. Every One Night Stand post-DtD was a WWE promoted event, not ECW exclusive.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Great White Hope posted:

"Passion of the Cena" was Orton/Cena I Quit, and I think Miz's special strategy was to use a tape recorder with Cena saying "I Quit" on it, which worked until Riley dropped it right in front of the ref.

It was still a really bad match though.

Nonono. Miz specifically announces before the match that his secret strategy was to have Alex Riley help him "since the match is no DQ" essentially making it a handicap match. The tape recorder thing came in as a last result after 20 minutes of relentlessly beating on Cena. All of this combined to make Miz losing especially humiliating.

Another highlight of OtL'11 was that Ezekiel Jackson would not stop body slamming Wade Barrett in their match, as his programming was skipping and it was the only thing he could do on repeat.

As bad as 2011 was, 2010 was pretty bad too Over the Limit 2010 had:

- CM Punk losing the rubber match of his Mysterio feud in what was probably the best match of the night. This led to Rey shaving his head and somehow managing to slice him wide open with an electric razor. This led to Punk's head being covered in an obviously blood-soaked towel until he could make it backstage and Punk wearing the lucha mask for a period of a few months(which granted was pretty great).

- Swagger vs. Big Show for the WHC, the build of which had Big Show no-selling Swagger as a legitimate threat. The match didn't help Swagger look any better as he ended it in DQ to keep the title.

- Edge vs. Orton goes to a double count-out when Orton dislocates his own arm doing his taunt and the end of the match has to be changed on a fly, and the best they come up with is "Both guys knock each other out on the outside".

- Cena vs. Batista in an "I Quit" match, which ends with Batista running Cena over with a car, Cena no-selling it and AA'ing Batista off the top of the car through the stage.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

I nominate Great American Bash 2006.

I always get the main event of this one and 2004 mixed up because every time I remind myself that the main event of 2004 was Undertaker vs. The Dudley Boys I can only imagine that happened because half the roster was sick or injured.

I can't speak for the rest of the card though.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Justin Godscock posted:

Great American Bash 2004 also had Eddie dropping the belt to JBL who was getting a mega-stupid heel push because it was one of those Creative deals where Vince loved the idea. This was back when JBL was a midcarder and got this Lesnar or Hogan-style mega-push out of nowhere at Eddie's expense.

The first few WWE Great American Bash PPVs were all terrible to the point where people thought it was going to be WWE's Uncensored PPV where it was just cursed.

Wait so JBL's entire time in the main event prior to facing Cena at Wrestlemania 21 was that one reign?

WWE was dead to me from 2002-2005/6 so I've only been filling in gaps since then but holy crap, really? By the time 21 rolls around they act like JBL has been on top for years.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
How have I read so many comments about Wrestlemania XI being the worst and not read a single one mentioning the main event being LT vs. Bam Bam Bigelow?

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
Post-Summerslam 2013 was really only bad because of the incredibly stupid booking of the main event scene and the fact that that was where they were exerting so much of their energy. Looking back though between the Rhodes brothers, Shield, Wyatts, and Punk there was almost always something of notable quality going on.

It was at the very least leaps and bounds ahead of post-Summerslam 2010-2012.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Not long after Danielson got fired there was a WWE PPV that ended with I think John Cena face down while the crowd very vocally chanted "Daniel Bryan".

Fatal 4-way. The Nexus came down to the ring to tear apart the competitors in the Raw F4W (Cena, Edge, Orton, and Sheamus), Sheamus picks up the victory and the Nexus chase him off backstage. Cena, Orton, and Edge were left totally a mess in the ring and the crowd were chanting for Daniel Bryan. There had been smaller chants breaking out throughout the night for him but once the Nexus came out and nobody saw D-Bry the crowd got way, way louder.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Surprised they haven't used Backlund since. Even though I can't stop laughing at the AE podcast likening him to Lemongrab. "A HUNDRED YEARS CHICKEN WING! A HUNDRED YEARS!"

Well now I want to see Backlund as GM of Raw and all the faces playing childish pranks on him all the time.

Bhester posted:

Didn't the 2006 One Night Stand crowd boo Rey Mysterio when he went against Sabu for the World Championship?

The only thing I remember about the crowd from ONS 2006 apart from how much they hated Cena was how much they hated Orton and cheered for his death at the hands of Kurt Angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

A fellow wrestlefan friend recently reminded me of how lovely Royal Rumble 2012 was as a whole. It's not embarrassingly bad like some of late era WCW, but it stands out as being incredibly boring and bland. The WHC triple threat cage match was a curtain jerker and despite Bryan being champion it was bogged down by Mark Henry and Big Show, there was an 8-diva tag with no build, Cena and Kane went to a double countout in the middle of the "embrace the hate" feud, Drew got squashed by Brodus Clay in an unannounced match, and Punk vs Ziggler for the WWE title was good but Dolph was an afterthought because Punk was feuding with Johnny Ace at the time. The Rumble match had zero storylines, nobody who had a legitimate chance to win entered before the early 20s, the entrants were full of comedy jobbers and one-shot 80s throwbacks, and nobody cared that Sheamus won, especially retrospectively since it only led to him beating DBry in 18 seconds at Wrestlemania. The runner-up was Jericho during his "Jericho cries" return angle, and The Dirtsheetz said he was supposed to win but they changed it at the last minute and the angle led to nothing. That's not even getting into the TON of filler segments they had throughout the show, like Kane slaughtering Ryder and lingering on the beatdown and loading him onto a stretcher yet again, long as hell hype packages for Rock/Cena at Wrestlemania, and everything else they threw in to fill up 3 hours. They easily could've cut out 15 minutes of bullshit and given Cody Rhodes an IC title defense. He was even having a mini-feud with Justin Gabriel at the time, which could've boosted both of them.

It was incredibly obvious Jericho was supposed to win considering how much they hyped his return. They had Sheamus win in one of those "poo poo the crowd figured out where we were going with this, time to SWERVE" moments that always falls flat on it's face.

What sucks is that I honestly like Sheamus and wish him success, but that title reign that began with the 18 second victory was both the most prolific accomplishment of his career to date and also the most dreadful part of his career(the 6-month Del Rio feud with the amazing one-night Ziggler interlude) at the same time.

• Locked thread