Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I nominate the '91 Great American Bash. The Bash 2 years prior to this is considered one of the all-time great PPVs, but Flair recently bailed on the company and this show is just awful chaos, culminating in an enormous "WE WANT FLAIR!" chant during the Luger/Windham match for the vacant Western States WCW title.

It also opens with a scaffold match. I said a goddamn SCAFFOLD MATCH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Bushmeister posted:

And if I recall correctly Bas at one point lets it slip that the commentary is not live at all. PRIDE took some time getting a PPV contract in the United States, and when they aired their earlier events they tried to maintain an illusion of the commentary having been recorded live at the events. During the fight in question, Bas at some point bemoans the fact that that nothing has happened for the last 15 minutes and nothing will continue to happen for the next 15 minutes, to which his co-commentator Stephen Quadros goes in for some half-assed save. They let it air regardless.

A better example of the announcer fuckery was when Bas in-studio suddenly noticed himself getting up into the ring for some post-fight brouhaha with a teammate and had to "excuse himself", leaving the Fight Professor to handle post-fight commentary all by himself.

This makes me sad. I was hoping that both of them immediately catching on to Coleman taking a dive against Takada was live.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Russo tried a worked shoot promo with Hogan at the prior PPV, Bash at the Beach. This did not work because Hogan took so much legit offense to being called a bald SOB that he tried to take it to court, and also because 2000 WCW.

On the other side, the Owen/HBK concussion angle from '95 is a good example of a worked shoot during a match.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

As far as recent 'Manias go, I watched WM27 on the Network recently and thought it pretty much sucked. Taker/HHH wasn't my cup of tea, the main event is atrocious, and the entire show in general felt like a glorified episode of RAW hyping the next year's WM.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Bret was actually more preferable to 2 or 3 falls occurring during the match if you believe him. But yeah, that match is not so great and the 60 minute draws that All Japan was doing around the same time blow it out of the water. The HHH/Rock ironman is way better, too.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

WWE ran quite a few stadium shows before WM3 (the Shea supercards, The Big Event at Exhibition Stadium)

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

The Backlash show a month later is what WM should have been in 2000. That show rules so much.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

The crowd couldn't give a gently caress either as they spent the entire match heckling Edge.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

The crowd was solely making GBS threads on Rock and was very into Brock in that match. The rest of that show is excellent and I don't recall the crowd being particularly obnoxious at any point.

Now Summerslam '04, that was a crowd that shat on everything.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

D2D '06 has a has a really bad crowd to match the show's quality. People go from indifference to making GBS threads on the show to people just straight up leaving, and culminating with a huge fight outside the arena after the show.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Their first one, Vengeance '03, is a very good show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Tuesday in Texas is completely justified by the Jake/Savage match and aftermath. loving incredible stuff.

• Locked thread