Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DJExile posted:

When did New Blood Rising happen in reference to the infamous Nitro where the new guys were clearly heel as gently caress but they were trying to push them as faces? I always get the PPV and that episode merged in my head.

New Blood started mid-April. They stopped being a unit in July after Russo's shoot at Bash at the Beach. New Blood Rising was the August PPV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
What TNA show had Silent Night, Bloody Night

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Uncensored '96 was a pretty bad PPV.

Eddie/Konnan was a good match to start the night with, but the matches get worse as the night goes on.

Finlay/Regal was second on the card and good.

After that it's Colonel Parker vs. Madusa. That went as well as expected.

Booty Man vs. DDP spent about 90% of the match playing to the crowd and not you know, wrestling.

Sting and Booker T wrestled the Road Warriors in a half hour street foght, which ran way too long.

Oh and the ME had a few cages in it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Endless Mike posted:

So a standard Ed Leslie match?

With the addition DDP hamming it up because it was a match for the services of Kimberly.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

sticklefifer posted:

Was it a GAB where they had that barbed wire cage match where the whole point was that you couldn't escape, and then JBL beat Big Show by escaping?

No.

That was No Way Out, where there was in fact a way out.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Big Show should get involved in cage matches. His own feats of strength work against him.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

LightsGameraAction posted:

Wait so JBL's entire time in the main event prior to facing Cena at Wrestlemania 21 was that one reign?

WWE was dead to me from 2002-2005/6 so I've only been filling in gaps since then but holy crap, really? By the time 21 rolls around they act like JBL has been on top for years.

Relatively speaking? It was.

He had been champion for 10 consecutive months at that point.

I think it was the longest reign since Diesel.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

sticklefifer posted:

Weird, I don't remember the no pins/submissions thing at all. I specifically remember being pissed off at the ending for being a copout to the stipulation.

I just pulled it up, and Chimel states that the only way it can end would be "In the ring by pinfall or submission, or escaping the cage with both feet touching the floor".

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Red posted:

Holy poo poo.

I looked up the match listing, and I had no idea WCW used Mr. T in 1994. The worst part is that they had Savage sitting, doing nothing.

I don't think there really was any time for a build for a Savage match. This was still pre-Nitro, and WCW was still taping all its stuff well in advance.

Seriously, Savage had only been in WCW for like a month before Starrcade.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Danny LaFever posted:

The first legit ppv I remember being shown in a bar here in Canada was Halloween Havoc that ended with the Hogan Piper match in the cage. (I think) My friend and I were the only ones who showed up there and then I recall shortly thereafter Bret Hart came over to WCW and that same bar was packed for WCW PPV.

Apart from that I remember having to watch Nitro's on my friends grey market satellite. Then again, maybe I didn't have TBS or something.

Age in a Cage was Halloween Havoc '97. Good show, and yeah Bret jumped ship a month later.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Justin Godscock posted:

At one point a "Go gently caress Cena!" chant broke out directed at Orton.

He should, Cena sucks.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I'm never really a fan of running an entire tournament on a PPV, so I'm not really big on Starrcades '90 thru '92.

'97 also really sucks as a whole. It has DDP pinning Hennig clean and a great Eddie/Dean match which are about the highest points. The six man tag is forgettable, nothing really good about Mongo/Goldberg. Saturn/Benoit is good but the finish kills it. Bagwell/Luger sucked even before the cheap finish. Hennig and DDP also mostly sucks as a match, but it was the only singles match where an nWo run in really didn't occur. Zybysko/Bischoff is utter crap, and features a great part where Bischoff maybe gets DQ'd because Hall stuck something in his shoe when he was in a Tree of Woe and doesn't actually hit Zybysko with it because it goes flying out of his shoe and probably killed a fan. Sting/Hogan was not a good match despite the hype, and the double Dusty finish was just a complete gently caress up.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 6, 2014

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

OldTennisCourt posted:

Wasen't Road Wild in general a huge debacle because it never made money at the gate since it was a free show? So not only are you getting people who give no fucks about it, are rowdy in all the worst ways but you're not even getting money for it.

I think it was a decision that in retrospect was so incredibly stupid that makes it really clear how bad at WCW was at being financially responsible, even when they were improving buyrates and TV ratings. That and Lanny Poffo.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

OldTennisCourt posted:

Pretty sure it was only done because Biscoff was a huge bike fan.

Bischoff used the WCW for his self masturbatory indulgences? I am shocked.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

El Estrago Bonito posted:

They should have structured it as an NWO focused PPV and had the announcers/ads play up that since these were badass biker dudes they were going to cheer for the bad guys (which is what happened anyways) and then they should have presented it much like Souled Out or the WWE ECW where it was an event with a loose shootfight theme and the idea that it was no holds barred and that ANYTHING COULD HAPPEN. It would have been easy to manipulate the crowd if they had tried and stacked the face side of it with a bunch of guys they knew the spectators would hate but instead they ran what ended up being a really expensive house show in the middle of a field with terrible heat that was confusing.

I don't really disagree with most of your post.

This was impossible given the build. Hogg Wild was a month after the Hogan turn and nWo formation. At least by the time Souled Out rolled around, Bischoff was associated with the group, and they were more of an actual faction kind of.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

sticklefifer posted:

Smackdown was originally aired Thursdays, up until 2005. They also had Edge/Taker for Smackdown's WHC title main event Wrestlemania in 2008, so they at least had some faith in its quality over Raw for quite a while.

Had it ever really been revealed why that move happened? From what I can remember, it was just before EB and UPN meeged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Fish Of Doom posted:

2002-2005 HHH was pretty bad. He lost it to Benoit for about 4 months in the summer of 04, and Goldberg had it for 2 months in 03, but other than that, he pretty much had it for the most part during those years until losing to Batista in 05.

The worst HHH era is his 06-08 babyface run, starting with the DX reunion, which Bryan and Vinny referred to as his "Huntor the Barbarian" run. He would have terrible one sided feuds against guys like Carlito, Umaga, and Chris Masters, and do things that were supposed to make him look cool, but ended up just making him look like a dick like hitting Kendrick and London with the sledgehammer after they helped him out against the heels. There was the HHH spectacular No Mercy 07 where he had 3 matches on the same night, the last being a 2/3 falls.

I'd really say mostly '02 to early '04. After he won at Armageddon the story shifted to HHH's decline. He tapped out and lost the title at WMXX. At Summerslam Evolution fractures, and Orton breaks away. After that, he's got 2 short reigns before he loses it to Batista at WMXXI.

That was the last time he won a title until No Mercy '07 and that was panic booking. (They lost their Main Event because Cena was injured in the final moments of the go home show).

Also it was a Last Man Standing match against Orton at No Mercy '07, who had also had wrestled earlier that night.

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

As bad as Triple H's run has been since... 2002, this was an awesome story and I will always defend this PPV. Cena gets injured the Raw right before and since his opponent was going to be Randy Orton in a last man standing match, Vince awards him the belt. Triple H comes down and challenges him to a match, which is understandable even if you can't shake the hypocrisy of Triple H being awarded the belt in 2002. Triple H wins, but he was already booked in a match against Umaga. So he defends, and Randy Orton asks Vince to use his rematch clause that night since he was technically the champion, and it is granted as the last man standing match they had been advertising. Randy Orton wins this one and runs with the belt for months, even successfully defending it at Wrestlemania. I may just be a sucker for a storyline that runs through a full PPV but I really liked that.

I agree. I can't really get mad at WWE for attempting to make good by the fans who had already bought the tickets and PPV on Orton being in a Last Man Standing match.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 16, 2014

• Locked thread