Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

-Jake the Snake coked up to heroic levels, giving the funniest most hosed up promo of all time (you wanna play 21, I got 22) then staggering and losing it during his match with Jim Neidhart so much that they had to book it to a tag match on the fly. Then the ending gets hosed up by Yokozuna setting Jake up to DDT the promoter and Jake just stands there swaying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzwIo5O99vc

This is really amazing, and with Jake's recovery going well these days I no longer feel guilty watching it.

It seems wrong to say that DtD destroyed ECW since it lasted another 3 years. It might have been what drove Heyman away, but you got a lot of awesome wrestling there in those next 3 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

OldTennisCourt posted:

Has there ever been a non garbage strap match ?

Vader vs. Sting is a legitimate classic. Probably the best singles match of Sting's career, and arguably up there in Vader's career.

flashy_mcflash posted:

1996 is The Alliance To End Hulkamania mess.

The main event was terrible, but that show had a must watch Regal/Finlay match.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

mkay0 posted:

Easily Sting's best match that did not have Flair in it.

I disagree. Wargames '92 was probably Sting's best match ever.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

Was it a GAB where they had that barbed wire cage match where the whole point was that you couldn't escape, and then JBL beat Big Show by escaping?

As mentioned it was No Way Out '05, but you're incorrect about the whole point being you couldn't escape. In fact, for that cage match you couldn't win by pinfall or submission and could only win by escape. They padlocked the door, so the idea was the winner would have to go over the barbed wire to win.

I actually really enjoyed JBL's main event run. He basically learned a new style of working (cowardly heel when he was used to powerhouse babyface) in a couple of months and had several good matches. Yes he had Eddie to help him along, but it's not like that's a knock on him. The PPVs he mainevented sucked because Smackdown didn't have enough stuff in the midcard to fill out a whole show.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

ayn rand hand job posted:

I just pulled it up, and Chimel states that the only way it can end would be "In the ring by pinfall or submission, or escaping the cage with both feet touching the floor".

poo poo guess I was wrong. Only thing I remember was the barbed wire not being used much due to it being banned from use in wrestling in Pennsylvania thanks to CZW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Red posted:

Let's not forget that they let the fans vote on the special referee, with the options being:

Booker T: "I'll be a good ref, and do what's best for business." /holds up hall of fame ring
Fan reaction: /crickets

Bob Backlund: "I WILL PUT ANYONE AND EVERYONE! INTO! THE! CROSS! FACE! CHICKEN! WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINGGGGGG! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"
Fan reaction: holy poo poo

Shawn Michaels: "Shucks, I'll be ref I guess"
Fan reaction: Oh a guy we know, and he was introduced last, so ok

The forums went ape over Backlund's amazing promo, but Shawn won the vote.

They most likely had the finish to the match written at that point. While it's likely Shawn won the vote anyway, if he didn't they could just work the results. Shawn made sense as part of the story since he had history with everyone involved.

• Locked thread