Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
The choices can be from WWE, TNA, WCW or hell, even UFC if you feel like it.

To get us started:

December to Dismember

The very first WWE-ECW show was an absolute disaster before it even began. With a horrendous buyrate the show didn’t even please the miniscule amount of viewers it had. The undercard matches consisted of boring, short matches that no one could have possibly cared about and which just cemented WWE-ECW’s terrible status. Then came the main event. An Elimination Chamber match between CM Punk, Big Show, Bobby Lashley, Hardcore Holly and RVD. Instead of having Punk win we were instead treated to him being eliminated first and Lashley winning, with the entire crowd booing the show so badly it went off the air 15 minutes early. This was the PPV that destroyed ECW.

Bash at the Beach 2000

A generally boring as gently caress show that gets its claim to fame for being the event where Russo messed up a shoot so bad he managed to not only get sued but gently caress up the big storyline for the next year AND have Hogan leave WCW. Debatably worth watching if only to see Russo call Hogan a ‘bald son of a bitch’. Also a graveyard match featuring the KISS demon and a Wedding Gown match just in case you gave a poo poo about the undercard.

Victory Road 11

The biggest match of the night between the two biggest stars of the show is over in 88 seconds because Jeff Hardy is stoned out of his gourd. Bischoff and Sting are clearly pissed off and the entire crowd boos the living gently caress out of the show. Really, this is the show that sums up how terrible TNA could be. I felt legitimately embarrassed for everyone in the ring during the main event. The match is so short you can clearly hear the commentary team scramble for anything possible to say and they simply decided to sum up the entire show.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

The answer is Heroes of Wrestling.

-Shiek/Volkoff vs the Bushwackers: the worst tag match of all time.

-production qualities straight out of a middle school AV club

-Jake the Snake coked up to heroic levels, giving the funniest promo of all time then staggering and losing it during his match with Jim Neidhart so much that they had to book it to a tag match on the fly. Then the ending gets hosed up by Yokozuna setting Jake up to DDT the promoter and Jake just stands there swaying.

I feel like Heroes of Wrestling is almost cheating in a way. It's bad in a way no other PPV is, it's honestly a truly depressing experience watching it.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Has there ever been a non garbage strap match ?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
If I recall right This Tuesday in Texas also ended up being terrible as well so I guess that retroactively makes SS 1991 even worse.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I really hope we get more UFC shows in the thread. I can see how WWE shows can go to poo poo due to planning, storylines being garbage, the backstage bullshit and all, but UFC seems like it should be more straightforward and at worst you get a short underwhelming match. I honestly can't believe a UFC show was straight up cancelled.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I was in attendance at Survivor Series 2006 and it was my first and only PPV so far. Maybe it was just me but the whole show was boring as sin. The matches felt bland and uninteresting and it also had the incredibly uncomfortable and lovely ending of Lita's WWE career where Cryme Time sold her personal belongings (I'm almost certain they implied they were selling her sex toys too but I could be remembering wrong) and she's mocked out of the building.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Didn't UFC 1 have a match where a blackbelt came out in a full on white gi and got completely demolished in seconds?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Madtrixr posted:

Oh my god. I am so sorry. They didn't explain the whole Goldberg thing to the crowd at the show? What in the flying hell.

In all fairness, how could you explain to a live crowd something like that? It's why those "OH GOD, HE'S GOING OFF SCRIPT" things are so rarely done well. It's either clearly a work or you have no clue what the hell is happening or why.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

jpmeyer posted:

Like for example, if the "script" is "Goldberg wrestles Nash and then loses", and Goldberg "doesn't want to go along with the script", why would he go into the ring, wrestle with him a few minutes, and then storm out rather than not show up in the first place or "act" like he's wrestling Nash and then suddenly "shoot" on him or something?

Maybe I'm wrong so someone please educate me, but I feel like the only worked shoot stuff that could work would be a promo or something of that nature. Actual mid-match poo poo just comes off as weird. Does the fingerpoke of doom count as a worked shoot?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
What would be considered the worst Wrestlemania? 9 seems to be a common choice if only because of the horrendous ending with Hogan crushing Yokozuna in 22 seconds to essentially make the entire preceding match a waste of everyone's time.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
This is stretching but the Wrestlemania 15 rage party is hilariously embarrassing. Includes Isaac Hayes performing Chocolate Salty Balls while having no loving idea what the hell is going on or why he's there, Shane McMahon being insane, and crowd shots of the most disinterested people ever. There's an amazing cut where you see Sable dancing in the most unsexy way ever and then a quick pan to a group of people who look like they'd rather be anywhere else. The whole thing is on youtube and it's loving horrendous.

Oh and tickets cost around $80.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
On the topic of bad shows, Wrestlemania 2000 has a nonsensical finish with Vince turning on Rock for....some reason, one of the worst botched finishes in WWE history and perhaps the worst in Wrestlemania history where the ref fucks up a 3 count and Hardcore win by accident (after the match Hardcore Holly calls Michael Cole a shithead for some reason), and one of the worst Wrestlemania matches ever with Terri and The Kat with special referee Val Venis.

Though the Dudleys, Edge and Christian and Hardy Boyz ladder match is outstanding and the Angle, Benoit and Jericho match is pretty awesome too

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

projecthalaxy posted:

I liked 1997 a lot, though it would have been better if Hogan would have allowed himself to just lose.

To elaborate: Hogan was meant to pin Sting and a super fast count was to occur so Bret could pop in, go "NO ONE SHALL BE SCREWED AS I WAS SCREWED!" and restart the match with Sting then winning. What happened instead was Hogan pinned Sting for a very clear and almost slow 3 count so the subsequent stuff made no sense.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Royal Rumble 2014 is, in itself a really fascinating event. Are there any WWE events where the crowd completely revolted in that manner? The only one I can think of is One Night Stand 06 where the crowd loving DESPISED nearly half the roster.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
What show has had the absolute worst crowd? I'm talking just loving dead the whole show.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I'm trying to remember which one but there was a show where the match was so loving boring that a couple of fans who were dressed as Hogan and Savage respectively started doing promos against each other and the crowd was more invested in that.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Well, yeah of course, but I remember hearing a story about fans dressed as Hulk Hogan and Macho Man starting poo poo during the match and security had to tell them to stop. That's why there's a small Randy Savage chant or something during the match to break up the merciless making GBS threads.

Yeah, this sounds about right.The thing was that the guys weren't really starting poo poo, they were actually having fun and just shooting in character promos and the entire area around them just got super into it and ignored the match. The story goes that Vince got loving pissed off and wanted them to stop it which is why security got called. That seems like bullshit though.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Eat My Fuc posted:

Yea it was a RAW from last year.

I think you're thinking of the RAW after Wrestlmania in 2013. There was a Savage chant, but the crowd were chanting like 50 different things during the Orton/Shemaus match including JBL, Michael Cole, Jerry, Cotton Candy, Randy Savage and RVD.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Spikeguy posted:

The thing I always thought about WCW crowds was that it drew a lot of fans who were only interested in the nWo and were fans of the cool new fad more so than wrestling. Also, a lot more drunks in the WCW crowds.

I've heard reports that they gave away cheap/free beer to people pre-gaming.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Going back to Rumble 2014. It's pretty interesting going back to the thread and seeing a heated argument between people behind the crowd making GBS threads on the event and people ripping on the crowd for being smarky and ruining the show.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

coconono posted:

Road Wild had a bunch of drunk dudes sitting on their bikes and the camera jerking away from women flashing. Plus that raised ring stage about killed Stevie Ray.

Wasen't Road Wild in general a huge debacle because it never made money at the gate since it was a free show? So not only are you getting people who give no fucks about it, are rowdy in all the worst ways but you're not even getting money for it.

Okay here's a question: We went over worst Wrestlemanias, what are the worst Starrcades?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

ayn rand hand job posted:

I think it was a decision that in retrospect was so incredibly stupid that makes it really clear how bad at WCW was at being financially responsible, even when they were improving buyrates and TV ratings. That and Lanny Poffo.

Pretty sure it was only done because Biscoff was a huge bike fan.

Man, were any of the Smackdown only PPVs good? Smackdown always seemed to be a second tier show and I can't recall a non garbage PPV they did.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I've read Death of WCW but the idea of Souled Out being an all NWO PPV is still the most baffling wrestling decision I've seen in a long time. How did no one realize that the stable was being overexposed to gently caress and an entire PPV show devoted to them would literally never work? The very idea that they would split WCW and NWO into two shows is absolutely insane. NWO is such a fascinating topic, it simultaneously helped skyrocket WCW and help completely destroy the company.

Also, it can't be overstated how boring and pointless the Wrestling Classic is, though This Tuesday in Texas may give it a run for it's money, I should check it out and see.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Justin Godscock posted:

To be fair, the nWo was only six months old by the time of Souled Out 1997 and honestly still very, very popular because of the slow burn to Hogan/Sting. Though you can see the cracks in WCW's handling of it by the time. The idea of doing a brand extension with the nWo (the heels) and WCW (the faces) being on separate shows makes no loving sense and even WCW had the foresight to test the waters with a PPV (and then a Nitro at year's end). As well that the WCW guys were always jobbing and treated as jokes even during Souled Out.

That entire PPV is seriously a must-watch for wrestling fans because of how bizarre an experiment it really was.

As a thought experiment, could a brand split with NWO and WCW work? Like, perfect world, total control booking, could it have ever worked, or was it just a completely impossible idea?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
What's the generally accepted truth of the whole "Ultimate Warrior holding Summerslam 91 up for more money" thing? Is it true or just a hatchet job done after Warrior left?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
So after the Rumble, which is widely being panned, I'm curious about choices for the worst Rumbles of all time?

It seems like Rumbles are generally well recieved, fun events, after this year it's kind of depressing to see how boring a Rumble can be when it just goes to hell around the middle.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Now that we have some time since the show, does anyone agree with me that, while Fastlane is not terrible to the level of WCW at it's worst, it still deserves a spot here? I'm of the opinion that were it not for the Network this show would honestly be viewed a lot worse than it is now. I think in general the Network has sort have caused reviews to be a little...softer I guess? I think it comes down to not really paying for the show so you tend to be a little nicer to it.

Fastlane really commits the sin of just being boring and nothing. It's a nothing show.

You have the really weirdly done, and possibly botched, finish to the Dust brothers match, a terrible Diva's match, and finally the desperate main event. It wasn't a TERRIBLE main, but the crowd really blasted it and it felt like Vince's desperate attempt to sell Roman by using Bryan.

Overall, it's the most forgettable PPV in a long while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Alain Post posted:

It was the opposite of a terrible main.

I wouldn't go that far honestly. Again, it wasn't a terrible main by any stretch, but I think when you combine what came before as well as the general understanding that there was really no way it wasn't going to be Roman winning and the crowd reaction it just sucked any joy I could have gotten out of it away.

• Locked thread