Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

OldTennisCourt posted:

As a thought experiment, could a brand split with NWO and WCW work? Like, perfect world, total control booking, could it have ever worked, or was it just a completely impossible idea?

Not impossible. Just really asking for problems. Look at Raw/Smackdown.

One show's going to get more viewers, leading to all the big stars wanting to be on the 'A' show, leading to the 'B' show being designated as the 'B' show, despite the fact that the little guys on the 'B' show are going to try hard and put on a hell of a show (I understand that at one point, Smackdown had the better wrestling show). Then the split gets muddied to try to bump ratings on the 'B' show, or to try to elevate the guy on the B show, he'll make 'A' show appearances.

As long as one company owns both the 'A' show and the 'B' show, the split ultimately fails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

sticklefifer posted:

That's what they get for not treating both like A-shows though. Smackdown had a legitimate shot, but Raw had the Monday night legacy and the benefit of being live. Had Smackdown gotten a reliable timeslot (like Tuesday primetime), shot live, and had a card with equal star power, quality matches and storylines, the split would still probably exist. The reason it didn't was because they started caring about it less. But if you look back to like 2008-2009, Smackdown was regularly the better show and regularly main evented PPVs. So it's really all on the shoulders of the company and how they treat it.

Smackdown may or may not have been the better show, I don't know. It seems the Internets were in agreement. (I never watched it, I couldn't tell you).

You can promote each show equally and they'll see the same level of success, if all nights are created equal. I don't have the answer to that one. I'm fairly sure Friday night is not equal to Monday night, but that's only judging from the social lives of people I know.

In fact, I'll throw out there that the best way to get both shows over equally would require them to actually compete against one another for viewers, like the Monday Night wars. which in this case would have meant finding another NBC/Universal channel to put Smackdown on, at 8 or 9PM on Monday nights. Smackdown Thursdays wouldn't work because of the stiff competition on the free networks, weekends generally bring lower viewership, esp in primetime. I don't know how SD would fare on Tuesday or Wednesday. I know TNA's been shedding viewers since Wednesday, but it's TNA so...

But I digress. It's a fairly weak argument, but honestly I think it's the only way to have both shows considered equal. And even that's ludicrous, because why the blue hell would you put one of your shows on opposite the other?

So it's all doomed.

Strawberry Panda posted:

Hell Triple H even started working Tuesdays.

In an attempt to bring up Smackdown's ratings, yes.

• Locked thread