Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Lid posted:

UFC 159 is relatively infamous for it featured the aforementioned Jones v Sonnen fight that Sonnen had no right to be in and somehow would've been champion if he could have survived a round... however it is forgotten that this card was rotten to the core. In last years thread for worst fights three separate fights from this card were nominated for worst fight of the year.
I was at this event as well as this year's return to New Jersey at UFC 169 which featured a new record UFC record for a card by having 10 fights go to decision, ranging from awful (Overeem vs Mir) to completely forgettable (pretty much all the others). The only saving grace for the night was the incredible fight between Abel Trujillo and Jamie Varner which is probably still my pick for fight of the year, and thankfully Renan Barao ended Urijah Faber's night very quickly in the main event which left half the crowd complaining about an early stoppage and the rest just being happy that the card was finally over.

However, as far back as I can remember I don't think I have ever seen a PPV that I hated more than UFC 61: Bitter Rivals

The event featured Frank Mir at his absolute peak of not giving a poo poo when he went to a horrible tepid decision over lovely fighter Dan Christison after he came to the fight looking like this:

This was followed by Tito Ortiz vs Frank Shamrock II, by far the most hyped match of the night after their stint as coaches of The Ultimate Fighter in which Tito was actually a pretty good coach, while Ken Shamrock still probably holds the title for worst coach in the history of the series after he didn't even bring in a bjj coach and generally didn't give a poo poo about anyone on his team. The match ended in 78 seconds after Tito landed a few elbows and the fight was stopped at which point Ken Shamrock immediately got up and started bitching. This led to an almost immediate rematch on free TV to quell all the complaints from fans who felt cheated of a match that literally anyone who was paying attention knew could only end one way. Spoilers: Ken Shamrock got TKO'd in the first round again in the rematch

Then came the main event, Tim Sylvia vs Andrei Arlovski III. Probably the worst title match of all time, other than maybe Tim Sylvia's follow up defense against Jeff Monson. I'd post details but really almost nothing happened for 25 minutes as both fighters tepidly circled eachother. This and the Monson fight basically drove Randy Couture out of retirement since Tim Sylvia was such a loving embarrassment. I forget which fight it was but one of the defenses Randy Couture was on the announce team and was audibly annoyed throughout the whole thing.

Fentry fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread