Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Let's go back to 1996, to WWF's In Your House: Beware of Dog. IYHs were a 2-hour Sunday night PPV at a "discount" price of $19.99.

Free-for-All Tag Team Titles Match (on the TV Guide/Preview channel, if I remember right): The Godwinns vs. The Smoking Gunns

Sunny fooled poor old Phineas into getting rolled up by her new crush Billy Gunn in a bullshit match.

WILDMAN Marc Mero vs. The Blueblood Hunter Hearst Helmsley

Good match, if I remember right, but Good LORD, the stupid loving gimmmicks.

Then the screen turns blue. The cable company is closed (Sunday night in 1996, remember), so I have no clue what's happening. But we're paying for it, so... I have no idea. We just left the TV on, and the show came back on about an hour or so later.

The hosts explain there was a power outage, and the card had continued for the crowd in the dark. But no mention of what would happen to those paying customers at home. On with the show!

WWF Title Match: Shawn Michaels vs. The British Bulldog, Davey Boy Smith

Decent match, but it was wayyyy overdone with the forced legal "drama" and stuff with Diana. So, after waiting through the blue-out, and not being sure if we'd get a refund or whatever, we get a bullshit double-pin finish. gently caress you.

Then, the next night on Raw, they explain they'd have a make-up PPV on Tuesday night, and explained the finishes to each of the matches that took place in the dark, effectively telegraphing the finishes. What the Christ?

I'm trying to remember how this went, but I think, on Tuesday, they start the make-up PPV with the taped matches again.

Then...

Caribbean Strap Match: Savio Vega vs. Steve Austin: If Austin loses, DiBiase quits!

This match was good for a strap match, but it's still a Savio Vega match with the finish given away.

Yokozuna vs. Vader

Bad, bad match featuring two giant fat guys, and you don't even get to see Cornette get his comeuppance.

Casket Match for the Intercontinental Title: Goldust vs. Undertaker

Meh match that ends with a "Mankind hiding in the casket" finish.

So, on tape, this might not be a bad show, but on live PPV, this was a loving disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Karmine posted:

Here is the episode of the pisscast where we talk about New Blood Rising featuring the best Ernest Miller promo ever and the Great Muta in TWO (2) MATCHES! http://www.mediafire.com/download/6qv3obgz3fhsh76/029+Wrestlehut+Pisscast.mp3

Royal Rumble 99 is a very bad show featuring the dumbest shittiest rumble match ever, tag champs Bossman and Ken Shamrock facing Billy Gunn and Road Dogg in separate singles matches, X-Pac vs. Gangrel which is just a weird rear end pairing, Sable vs. Luna in a strap match, and the Rock making sure Mick Foley never rides a roller coaster again.

But man that Rumble match. The whole premise of the match was basically "Austin vs. McMahon." We knew going in that Austin and Vince would be numbers 1 and 2, and that Vince had put out a bigass bounty for whoever eliminated Stone Cold from the match. So basically Austin kicks the poo poo out of Vince for a while and then Vince's corporate goons come in and beat up Austin, brawling their way to the bathrooms where the corporation leaves Austin to be picked up by EMTs. So no more Austin (for now), no more Vince (for now), and we are left with perhaps the most midcard geek heavy Rumble ever (and yeah it includes guys like Edge and HHH who would become big stars but they really weren't in 99). The Undertaker does not appear in this match but he "sacrifices" Mabel and turns him into Viscera by having the Acolytes beat him up. After a while Vince comes back and sits in on commentary with Cole and Lawler (this part was actually kinda awesome) while his goons (Bossman, Test, and Shamrock I think?) run poo poo in the ring. After a few minutes Austin has apparently hijacked his ambulance and returned to the arena where he lays waste to everyone until it's back down to just Austin and Vince again and then Rock runs in and eliminates Austin, giving Vince the win.

It's a really terrible show as is pretty much everything else from all three major companies in 1999.

The shame about this show was that the buildup was really great, and a lot of my friends who hated wrestling wanted to see the outcome.

(They never watched wrestling again after sitting through this crap.)

Red
Apr 15, 2003

LightsGameraAction posted:

Wait so JBL's entire time in the main event prior to facing Cena at Wrestlemania 21 was that one reign?

WWE was dead to me from 2002-2005/6 so I've only been filling in gaps since then but holy crap, really? By the time 21 rolls around they act like JBL has been on top for years.

Well.

It felt like it'd been years. :smith:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

What the gently caress

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Sprecherscrow posted:

As mentioned it was No Way Out '05, but you're incorrect about the whole point being you couldn't escape. In fact, for that cage match you couldn't win by pinfall or submission and could only win by escape. They padlocked the door, so the idea was the winner would have to go over the barbed wire to win.

I actually really enjoyed JBL's main event run. He basically learned a new style of working (cowardly heel when he was used to powerhouse babyface) in a couple of months and had several good matches. Yes he had Eddie to help him along, but it's not like that's a knock on him. The PPVs he mainevented sucked because Smackdown didn't have enough stuff in the midcard to fill out a whole show.

I think, over time, JBL won us over, and looking back, he was a fairly effective heel champ, even if his cronies were essentially useless.

It's just that his push from hell came out of nowhere, and despite the reactions (or lack thereof at the beginning), he was crammed down our throats really hard.

The real shame is that he lost the title to Cena in a pretty forgettable match - although their rematch at Judgment Day (a great 'I Quit' match) was tremendous.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Bret was actually more preferable to 2 or 3 falls occurring during the match if you believe him. But yeah, that match is not so great and the 60 minute draws that All Japan was doing around the same time blow it out of the water. The HHH/Rock ironman is way better, too.

I've always assumed that they didn't trade any falls during the whole hour because neither wanted to give the other any edge, so we got what we got.

As a match, I liked watching it live, but 20 minutes of rest holds in an hourlong match you've seen before isn't conducive to enjoyment. Still, the buildup and promos for the match were effective, and I liked Hebner's extended rules explanation beforehand.

Now, at the end of the match, Bret just leaves, but they ended up showing an interview and tape on Raw months later, showing Bret doing an interview from home, debating if/when he'd return to the WWF, bookended by footage of him storming straight to his car after the match. That was a nice sell of the fallout from the match, and led to Austin's "Stop whining, and come back so I can kick your rear end" angle.

So if you take all that into account, and watch Wrestling With Shadows afterwards, it's pretty neat. But as a standalone match, it's interesting on the first viewing only.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

coconono posted:

was Extreme Reunion worse/better than Hardcore Homecoming?

Also looks like I gotta watch Starrcade 94 now.

Holy poo poo.

I looked up the match listing, and I had no idea WCW used Mr. T in 1994. The worst part is that they had Savage sitting, doing nothing.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

Also Michaels was the guest referee and instead of reacting to the blatant HHH interference and calling the DQ right then, or even calling the DQ after he superkicks Bryan, he gives Orton the three count (did he even help drag Orton onto Bryan? I don't remember) and calls it a win. There's no way to view it as anything but a screwjob at that point.

Let's not forget that they let the fans vote on the special referee, with the options being:

Booker T: "I'll be a good ref, and do what's best for business." /holds up hall of fame ring
Fan reaction: /crickets

Bob Backlund: "I WILL PUT ANYONE AND EVERYONE! INTO! THE! CROSS! FACE! CHICKEN! WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINGGGGGG! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"
Fan reaction: holy poo poo

Shawn Michaels: "Shucks, I'll be ref I guess"
Fan reaction: Oh a guy we know, and he was introduced last, so ok

The forums went ape over Backlund's amazing promo, but Shawn won the vote.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

OldTennisCourt posted:

Man, were any of the Smackdown only PPVs good? Smackdown always seemed to be a second tier show and I can't recall a non garbage PPV they did.

Judgment Day 2005

Angle vs. Booker, London vs. Chavo, and Eddie vs. Rey are all good, while Cena vs. JBL is a fantastic bloody brawl that really should have been their WM match.

And the opener (MNM vs. Bob Holly/Haas) is actually decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

A fellow wrestlefan friend recently reminded me of how lovely Royal Rumble 2012 was as a whole. It's not embarrassingly bad like some of late era WCW, but it stands out as being incredibly boring and bland. The WHC triple threat cage match was a curtain jerker and despite Bryan being champion it was bogged down by Mark Henry and Big Show, there was an 8-diva tag with no build, Cena and Kane went to a double countout in the middle of the "embrace the hate" feud, Drew got squashed by Brodus Clay in an unannounced match, and Punk vs Ziggler for the WWE title was good but Dolph was an afterthought because Punk was feuding with Johnny Ace at the time. The Rumble match had zero storylines, nobody who had a legitimate chance to win entered before the early 20s, the entrants were full of comedy jobbers and one-shot 80s throwbacks, and nobody cared that Sheamus won, especially retrospectively since it only led to him beating DBry in 18 seconds at Wrestlemania. The runner-up was Jericho during his "Jericho cries" return angle, and The Dirtsheetz said he was supposed to win but they changed it at the last minute and the angle led to nothing. That's not even getting into the TON of filler segments they had throughout the show, like Kane slaughtering Ryder and lingering on the beatdown and loading him onto a stretcher yet again, long as hell hype packages for Rock/Cena at Wrestlemania, and everything else they threw in to fill up 3 hours. They easily could've cut out 15 minutes of bullshit and given Cody Rhodes an IC title defense. He was even having a mini-feud with Justin Gabriel at the time, which could've boosted both of them.

You know, I was just watching this, and you really do go from DBD vs. Show vs. Henry to Dolph vs. Punk to the Rumble. The Rumble match itself is pretty good, but like you said - ultimately meaningless. Odd, too, since the previous year's winner curtain-jerked at WM - and lost.

• Locked thread