Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I nominate Great American Bash 2006. First off it's a Smackdown exclusive, during an era when Smackdown wasn't that good. Second, this was the "elevated enzymes in the liver" PPV where like half the card got Wellnessed. This was likely the catalyst where they decided to hold off on wellness punishments until it was convenient - especially considering they immediately took the WWE and ECW titles off Rob Van Dam for his Wellness violation about a month before.

Londrick vs Pitbulls (Noble/Kash) was pretty good tag action, but nobody cared since neither team had characters or feuds, and the Pitbulls were always booked as a lower tier tag team.

Lashley/Finlay for the US was supposed to happen, but Lashley was wellnessed. Instead they had Regal, a heel, take on Finlay, also a heel, on the fly. The crowd went mild.

Gregory Helms vs Matt Hardy was an alright midcard match in a tepid feud, and Helms was really not catching on as a heel.

Khali/Undertaker was the debut of the Punjabi Prison match, which took forever to explain the rules and was unnecessarily complicated. Khali was wellnessed, despite having the match stipulation debut FOR him, and replaced with Big Show. So, Show/Taker in a Punjabi Prison for no reason. The match was terrible and dumb and I can't believe they ever did it again.

Fatal Fourway Bra & Panties match was next, which Ashley Massaro won. Yep.

Henry/Batista was supposed to happen, but Mark Henry got injured the week before, so they threw in Mr. Kennedy instead. gently caress finish with Batista being DQ'd for a chokehold, and Kennedy needed like 20 stitches for an accidental cut.

The main event was Booker/Mysterio, which was good, but again had a gently caress finish with Chavo turning on Mysterio to cost him the title, so Booker's WHC reign starts with Chavo hitting Rey with a chair. Nobody cared about Chavo ever, and I think the show closed with Sharmell saying "All Hail Keeeng Bookaaah" like a zillion times.

Overall just disappointing, full of bait and switch booking, and poor decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Was it a GAB where they had that barbed wire cage match where the whole point was that you couldn't escape, and then JBL beat Big Show by escaping?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

ayn rand hand job posted:

No.

That was No Way Out, where there was in fact a way out.

I think it was the aforementioned JR spouting the titular phrase at No Mercy '99 that spawned the IWC meme "At [PPV] there will be [PPV name]". At Backlash there will be backlash. At Armageddon there will be armageddon. Etc.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Sprecherscrow posted:

As mentioned it was No Way Out '05, but you're incorrect about the whole point being you couldn't escape. In fact, for that cage match you couldn't win by pinfall or submission and could only win by escape. They padlocked the door, so the idea was the winner would have to go over the barbed wire to win.

Weird, I don't remember the no pins/submissions thing at all. I specifically remember being pissed off at the ending for being a copout to the stipulation.

Memento posted:

New Years Revolution 2005. I vaguely remember the main event being alright, but the rest of the matches were utterly terrible.

I was looking back at cards and I remembered how lovely that show was. The whole card was literally just an excuse to have an Elimination Chamber match in January, pre-Rumble. And probably because they were able to book a venue in Puerto Rico so they decided to wedge in an extra show.

-The finish for Eugene/Regal vs Christian/Tomko had to be reworked when Eugene blew out a knee (and retained the tag belts anyway).
-The finish for Trish/Lita had to be reworked when Lita also blew out a knee.
-Shelton Benjamin beat an incredibly unconvincing heel Maven in 5 seconds after a bunch of stalling, then beat him again in 5 seconds after a demanded rematch.
-Muhammad Hassan vs Jerry Lawler, without commentary because JR was in Lawler's corner. As bad as you think.
-Kane vs Snitsky, the culmination of the "it wasn't my fault" feud. Long as hell, boring as hell.
-The ONE saving grace of the PPV was that the EC main event was really, really good. HHH, Jericho, Benoit, Edge, Batista, Orton, all in or around their primes, and HBK as guest referee. Of course HHH Wins Lol, and everyone was sick of it at that point, but the match itself was great. Otherwise it was easily the worst show of the year.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 5, 2014

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

ayn rand hand job posted:

I just pulled it up, and Chimel states that the only way it can end would be "In the ring by pinfall or submission, or escaping the cage with both feet touching the floor".

I looked back at the build a little bit too, and apparently the escape stip was added VERY late into the build. Like, they casually mentioned it on the go-home Smackdown. :lol:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

CapnAndy posted:

I really think Hell In A Cell 2013 deserves a place on this list.
I've really grown to hate HIAC. First off, it used to be the stip people challenged each other to as a big surprise when they wanted to murder each other, not just when it's that time of year. Second, nothing really happens that's particularly violent - I remember a few matches since the gimmick went annual where they barely touched the cage (Punk/Taker was shockingly awful), and post-PG they remade the cage so it's taller and stronger and has clinky chains on it to make noises when you hit it. Third, they've historically only given the HIAC PPV two weeks of build, three if we're lucky, because they've so densely packed the end of the year. It's no longer a cool stipulation with finality, and nothing interesting ever happens in it. I really wish they'd retire the PPV and bring it back to being a giant grudge match stip, because it's not even fun anymore. Unfortunately the PPV name is marketable, and buyrates usually hover around 200,000. Sadly that usually means Survivor Series, one of their former "big four", is no longer "big" anymore.

quote:

AJ Lee vs. Brie Bella in a pointless piss-break of a match. Remember that the "story" here, such as it was, was that AJ had poo poo-talked the entire division, calling them unworthy wannabe reality stars. Turns out she was totally right, and would continue to steamroll every last one of them until a newcomer who could actually wrestle on her level showed up. Way to make your entire divas division look good, WWE! (Not that anyone would have believed any of them could beat AJ, but still.)
:byodame: Say it to our FAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
My favorite example during the Rumble wasn't the Rumble itself, it was the Orton/Cena match. God, the crowd just completely poo poo on them both. They very lamely tried to cover it too, by saying the fans were doing it to throw off Orton, when Cena was getting booed and chanted at just as much. "They're havin' FUN, Maggle!"

OldTennisCourt posted:

Royal Rumble 2014 is, in itself a really fascinating event. Are there any WWE events where the crowd completely revolted in that manner? The only one I can think of is One Night Stand 06 where the crowd loving DESPISED nearly half the roster.

There was a minor string of PPVs in late 2011 where Cena was clearly treated like a heel even though he was still pushed as the mega-face, most likely because the main focus was still on him when Punk became champion after the pipebomb. People hated that Cena was still the main event just because he was fighting The Rock at a different PPV next year, and when he was in the title scene they hated him because they didn't want him threatening Punk's championship. When it was just guys like Miz and Del Rio, Punk going over them wasn't really in question.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Or they would've had some quick angle on the next Raw where Backlund couldn't do it because reasons.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
A fellow wrestlefan friend recently reminded me of how lovely Royal Rumble 2012 was as a whole. It's not embarrassingly bad like some of late era WCW, but it stands out as being incredibly boring and bland. The WHC triple threat cage match was a curtain jerker and despite Bryan being champion it was bogged down by Mark Henry and Big Show, there was an 8-diva tag with no build, Cena and Kane went to a double countout in the middle of the "embrace the hate" feud, Drew got squashed by Brodus Clay in an unannounced match, and Punk vs Ziggler for the WWE title was good but Dolph was an afterthought because Punk was feuding with Johnny Ace at the time. The Rumble match had zero storylines, nobody who had a legitimate chance to win entered before the early 20s, the entrants were full of comedy jobbers and one-shot 80s throwbacks, and nobody cared that Sheamus won, especially retrospectively since it only led to him beating DBry in 18 seconds at Wrestlemania. The runner-up was Jericho during his "Jericho cries" return angle, and The Dirtsheetz said he was supposed to win but they changed it at the last minute and the angle led to nothing. That's not even getting into the TON of filler segments they had throughout the show, like Kane slaughtering Ryder and lingering on the beatdown and loading him onto a stretcher yet again, long as hell hype packages for Rock/Cena at Wrestlemania, and everything else they threw in to fill up 3 hours. They easily could've cut out 15 minutes of bullshit and given Cody Rhodes an IC title defense. He was even having a mini-feud with Justin Gabriel at the time, which could've boosted both of them.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
That's what they get for not treating both like A-shows though. Smackdown had a legitimate shot, but Raw had the Monday night legacy and the benefit of being live. Had Smackdown gotten a reliable timeslot (like Tuesday primetime), shot live, and had a card with equal star power, quality matches and storylines, the split would still probably exist. The reason it didn't was because they started caring about it less. But if you look back to like 2008-2009, Smackdown was regularly the better show and regularly main evented PPVs. So it's really all on the shoulders of the company and how they treat it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

IronCladBurrito posted:

Smackdown Thursdays wouldn't work because of the stiff competition on the free networks, weekends generally bring lower viewership, esp in primetime.

Smackdown was originally aired Thursdays, up until 2005. They also had Edge/Taker for Smackdown's WHC title main event Wrestlemania in 2008, so they at least had some faith in its quality over Raw for quite a while.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
When was peak "HHH winz lol"? I want to say by 2004 he started passing the torch bit by bit, but by that point I was as sick of him being champion as I am of Cena being Cena now.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

No it's fine he was really just talking about "past criminals" so its totally not racist at all yep.

Yes, and Bog How called Funaki a "goof", not a gook! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
There were a couple from the mid 90s where the roster was clearly paper thin, so you have stuff like 1996 where Doug Gilbert from USWA showed up, and the Headhunters came in as the Squat Team, and were never mentioned again. As lovely as this year's booking was, at least there were people I wanted to see in it. '96 was jobber central.

• Locked thread