Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
WrestleMania 27 deserves a mention while we are going over terrible WrestleManias.

-Sheamus/Daniel Bryan gets bumped to the pre-show with NO warning prior to the show pissing off pretty everyone who wanted to see Bryan Danielson in his first WrestleMania match. Why? So Rock could get an extra 20 minutes for his promo because he was the host of the event.
-The World Heavyweight Title match is the curtain jerker (the gently caress?) and instead of ADR (WWE was in the middle of pushing him HARD as a top heel) naturally winning the title Edge retains it then retires like the following week.
-Cody Rhodes defeated Rey Mysterio in the best match of the night and it was your typical PPV filler match
-The big 6-Man Tag Team match which actually had legit build lasted like 90 seconds for no good reason
-Randy Orton and CM Punk had a decent match
-Michael Cole had a match with Austin as ref during his obnoxious COLE MINE heel phase that only Vince loved, we didn't even get to see him eat a Stunner
-Undertaker had his WrestleMania match which was liked at the time but got surpassed by their rematch the following year. Personally, I didn't like it because it just felt like two big dudes kicking out of finishers over and over again.
-Snooki (yes, from Jersey Shore) had a match
-Finally, the main event was between The Miz and John Cena which ended in a double countout then restarted by The Rock who then interferred to set up NEXT YEAR's WrestleMania. Screw you people who spent $80 (or whatever it is in your area) that year!

Basically, the show was a total mess with The Rock taking priority over wrestling and every single match was either alright, got match time cut or was dreadful. I usually put this one in my bottom 5 WrestleManias.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Memento posted:

New Years Revolution 2005. I vaguely remember the main event being alright, but the rest of the matches were utterly terrible.

It had an Elimination Chamber match which saw Triple H win the World Heavyweight Championship...which he vacated a month before only to win the thing again. This was during the Triple H reign of terror which gained another milestone with this main event. Yeah, that PPV belongs here.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Great American Bash 2004 also had Eddie dropping the belt to JBL who was getting a mega-stupid heel push because it was one of those Creative deals where Vince loved the idea. This was back when JBL was a midcarder and got this Lesnar or Hogan-style mega-push out of nowhere at Eddie's expense.

The first few WWE Great American Bash PPVs were all terrible to the point where people thought it was going to be WWE's Uncensored PPV where it was just cursed.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

ayn rand hand job posted:

Relatively speaking? It was.

He had been champion for 10 consecutive months at that point.

I think it was the longest reign since Diesel.

It also lead to Paul Heyman saying, at One Night Stand 2005, "The only reason you were champion for almost a year is because Triple H didn't want to work Tuesdays".

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only one let-down by WM29 aside from Punk/Taker which was really good. They were running really short on time which is why Jack Swagger didn't even get an entrance despite WWE paying for a huge-rear end ATV to cart him and Zeb Coulter to the ring (this is like WCW-level to pay for something and get no real use out of it). Then you had the dumb payoff to an even dumber storyline in "Cena had his worst year ever in 2012" by giving him the title for the millionth time and having The Rock raise THE CHAMPS hand ruining the amazing heat between the two that had everyone questioning if it was real because of how venomous Rock was to Cena.

Oh, and WWE didn't learn their lesson from last year and had big-rear end skyscrapers blocking the view of the ring for the crowd.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Endorph posted:

No, people forget that because HHH/Jericho was a poo poo match and everyone was buying it for Rock/Hogan.

I wouldn't call it a poo poo match but it was a dumb mistake to have Rock/Hogan NOT as the main event because the crowd was so drained for the main event (even with a Women's Title match being the cooldown match in between). The same thing happened with HHH/Orton at WM25 (though that match had other problems as well) with the crowd being drained after Taker/HBK. People crap on Cena/Rock main-eventing WM28 and 29 but it made sense to just have those as the main events given what happened when WWE had their title in the main event.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

81sidewinder posted:

maybe I am wrong, but didn't Canada have limited access to WCW in the 90s? As in, the last time many Canadians saw Hogan regularly was when he was the Hulkster, and they were not fatigued of him the way many Americans were?

Nah, we had Nitro and Thunder on TBS up here for regular watching along with the Americans. It was RAW on TSN that was screwy because the CRTC (our FCC) censored the gently caress out of RAW taking out man-on-woman violence and anything too raunchy. I can't really explain why Canada goes nuts for Hogan.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Blasmeister posted:

Summerslam 2013 to mania 30 is, looking back, a fascinating period of booking, in-ring wrestling, fan anger and backstage politics. It deserves a book or a documentary or something.

It also felt like an Attitude Era-style booking where WWE was just organically building to something, feeding off of fan's responses, keeping focus even when people were pissed off and going with the flow a lot of the time. It's probably my favorite period of wrestling since the 2011 Summer of Punk.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

OldTennisCourt posted:

Royal Rumble 2014 is, in itself a really fascinating event. Are there any WWE events where the crowd completely revolted in that manner? The only one I can think of is One Night Stand 06 where the crowd loving DESPISED nearly half the roster.

SummerSlam 2004 had the entire Toronto crowd go full-smark on the entire roster. During the terrible JBL/Taker match the crowd started doing the wave as well.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

LightsGameraAction posted:

The only thing I remember about the crowd from ONS 2006 apart from how much they hated Cena was how much they hated Orton and cheered for his death at the hands of Kurt Angle.

At one point a "Go gently caress Cena!" chant broke out directed at Orton.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

OldTennisCourt posted:

I'm trying to remember which one but there was a show where the match was so loving boring that a couple of fans who were dressed as Hogan and Savage respectively started doing promos against each other and the crowd was more invested in that.

That was WrestleMania 20 during the Goldberg/Lesnar match where, partway through the match, you can see almost everyone on the hard camera side turn to one direction then start chanting "HOGAN!". The guy who was Hogan talked to WrestleCrap and said he was sitting there when a guy dressed as Savage started to taunt him playfully, he responded by getting up on his chair and air-guitaring which got MSG's attention.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

wizardstick posted:

Didn't WCW hit problems anytime they tried to run Sturgis Rally based PPVs? Bischoff and all being big marks for biker culture but not realising the audience would generally be racist and uninterested in fake fights?

Yeah, the audience were not wrestling fans at all (just bikers there it's a big biker rally and convention of sorts) so they just cheered whoever looked cool. Oh, and they were all likely drunk/stoned off of their asses so that probably didn't help. It's just such a bizarre concept for a show that only WCW could get away with at the time.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
The roster was also bone-dry by early 2012 (thanks to Johnny Ace's "Creative has nothing for you" approach to developing talent) so you had a lot of guys that hadn't been on TV in forever get thrown into the ring because they had no one. The entire commentating team even got a go it was that bad.

Then Triple H reorgnized the NXT developmental system, called-up more dudes and experimented with more gimmicks and the 2013 Rumble was better by leaps and bounds.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

OldTennisCourt posted:

I've read Death of WCW but the idea of Souled Out being an all NWO PPV is still the most baffling wrestling decision I've seen in a long time. How did no one realize that the stable was being overexposed to gently caress and an entire PPV show devoted to them would literally never work? The very idea that they would split WCW and NWO into two shows is absolutely insane. NWO is such a fascinating topic, it simultaneously helped skyrocket WCW and help completely destroy the company.

Also, it can't be overstated how boring and pointless the Wrestling Classic is, though This Tuesday in Texas may give it a run for it's money, I should check it out and see.

To be fair, the nWo was only six months old by the time of Souled Out 1997 and honestly still very, very popular because of the slow burn to Hogan/Sting. Though you can see the cracks in WCW's handling of it by the time. The idea of doing a brand extension with the nWo (the heels) and WCW (the faces) being on separate shows makes no loving sense and even WCW had the foresight to test the waters with a PPV (and then a Nitro at year's end). As well that the WCW guys were always jobbing and treated as jokes even during Souled Out.

That entire PPV is seriously a must-watch for wrestling fans because of how bizarre an experiment it really was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I think the 2015 Rumble would be better received if Big Show and Kane didn't squash and eliminate Dean Ambrose, Dolph Ziggler and Bray Wyatt the way they did. Brass ring, my rear end Vince, die already.

• Locked thread