Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Q7kid posted:

There were two: the Chamber match and Hardys vs. MNM, which was billed as the Hardys' one-night-only reunion as I recall.

And the Hardys vs. MNM match was only advertised online.

The show took place a mere two weeks after the last PPV.

I recall reading about how Vince actually thought he did a great job and the PPV was very good after it happened. Then he slept on it and realized it was terrible.

CaptainYesterday posted:

Rodman Down Under should get a mention.

I believe Wrestlecrap covered that one and it looked seriously bad. If it's the one I'm thinking of, like six out of the eight matches featured pretend rape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

CopywrightMMXI posted:

When you order a ppv are you looking for:
- A Savio Vega match
- Shawn Michaela going 15 minutes with Kama?
- another Savio Vega match?
- a kiss my foot math with Jerry Lawler and Bret Hart, complete with terrible foot makeup?
- The Undertaker jobbing to...Mabel?
- Another loving Savio match?
- a tag match main event, with nothing on the line?

Well if you're looking for this, then the 1995 King if the Ring is for you! And if that's not enough track down the pre-game show where you can get another Savio match absolutely free! Order now on the WWE network for only $9.99!

How did you not mention the most infamous part of that whole show, the commentary?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Isn't it 1994 that gets poo poo on for that? I haven't watched 95 in ages and don't recall anything worse than the norm for that era.

Whoops, you're right. For years, I've merged those two in my head as the ultimate terrible King of the Ring show.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

While not the worst of the worst, Survivor Series 1991 deserves dishonorable mention. The in-ring stuff is mostly pretty decent, but it fails in various other ways.

One of the big matches is originally Sid Justice/Big Boss Man/LOD vs. Jake Roberts/IRS/Natural Disasters. Sid busted up his arm in the weeks leading up to the show, taking him out of the match, so he started a campaign to get Randy Savage reinstated. Savage/Jake was a hot angle, so this was going to be a perfect way to bring Savage back into the fold. Savage was reinstated and on the last Superstars before the PPV, Jake attacked him with a snake, having it bite Savage's arm.

At the beginning of the PPV, Jack Tunney announced that Savage was in no condition to perform, so he and Jake would be removed from their match. Coincidentally, Savage would be in perfect shape to compete against Jake six days later at the new PPV Tuesday in Texas. So they just cheated you out of one of the two big main events of the show for the sake of getting you to buy another PPV. Savage and Jake each got promos through the night, which included Jake wearing the silliest Christmas sweater while trying to be a sinister heel.

The first match was Piper/Bret/Virgil/Bulldog vs. Flair/Dibiase/Mountie/Warlord. Tons of great workers and a good enough match with really iffy booking. It went on forever with only two eliminations. Then everyone started brawling in the ring and everyone was disqualified, except for Flair, who got knocked out of the ring before the referee's decision.

Next was a midcarder match where the face team did a clean sweep. Nothing special, but nothing offensive.

Hogan fought Undertaker, which gave us the infamous Tombstone-on-a-chair finish that shows why Hogan's a piece of poo poo. It had an acceptable ending where Undertaker won via cheating and interference, but Jack Tunney immediately said that there would be a rematch This Tuesday in Texas! The commentators keep trying to push this sudden PPV that was only announced an hour and a half ago.

Now it's Rockers/Bushwackers vs. Nasty Boys/Beverly Brothers. This is the last PPV before the Rockers split and they do a spot to build on that. Michaels picks up one of the Nastys for a bodyslam, accidentally hits Jannetty while doing it, then gets rolled up for a pin. They have an argument and Michaels leaves in a huff. A great spot to hint the breakup, except it somehow completely went over the commentators' heads. They don't notice the bodyslam spot or the fact that Michaels got pinned. They just made a big deal about how Michaels was angry at his partner for no reason and is now getting himself counted out.

That brings us to the main event. After various 4-on-4 matches and the very first title match at a Survivor Series, we end the show with a 3-on-3 match filled with midcarders because the two important dudes were pulled for a lovely PPV nobody cares about. It ends with LOD kicking the poo poo out of IRS.

Then to end the show, we get a promo from the new WWF Champion as the Undertaker tells us to go order Tuesday at Texas because it will be awesome.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The Wrestling Classic is like the Pete Best of 80's WWF PPVs. Coming out in-between Wrestlemanias 1 and 2, the idea was for a one-night, 16-man tournament plus a Hogan vs. Piper title match. Considering there's a bye in the tournament due to a double count out, that means 15 matches throughout the show. The matches are so short (Hogan/Piper is 7 minutes and the finals is the longest at 9 minutes) that when you add them together, you get about an hour of in-ring action. For fifteen matches.

In the quarterfinals, Junkyard Dog beats Moondog Spot within a minute. There's no referee out there. JYD counts the pin himself and it counts just because.

The finals makes no sense in terms of storytelling. Despite Wrestlemania 4's problems, the main event worked. Savage was up against Dibiase, who got a bye. Savage was the face against overwhelming odds and won because that's a good story. At the Wrestling Classic, Savage is once again in the finals, having gone through three opponents. His opponent, Junkyard Dog, got a bye. Savage is the heel with Junkyard Dog as the face. Junkyard Dog wins via count out to end the show. What the gently caress?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I agree that Wrestlemania 12 is probably the worst, mainly because it's so dedicated to the Iron Man Match. Literally half the PPV is about that match. It's over an hour in itself, you have lengthy entrances, Michaels' celebration, multiple promos and even a segment where the ref goes over the rules far longer than normal in an attempt to give it a bigger feel. If you don't like the match, which I don't, that kills the show.

The rest of the show doesn't make up for it. Undertaker/Diesel is miraculously one of the best Undertaker matches in his early days in the company, Austin/Savio isn't bad, and the six-man at least has an interesting dynamic where each face is shown to be completely out of their league to the point that hot-tagging is worthless. Other than that, it's a lovely show leading up to a match where nothing happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Let's not forget about Wrestlemania 2 with its three venue gimmick, which ripped off the people in attendance, especially the people who attended the first third.

The matches got somewhat better as the show continued, but the stuff in New York was a total mess.

- Started with Paul Orndorff vs. Don Muraco in what was a really enjoyable match until a nonsense double count-out four minutes in. Also has Orndorff, the face, stretching his eye lids to make fun of Mr. Fuji. Holy poo poo.

- Randy Savage vs. George "The Animal" Steele in one of the worst matches of Savage's career. Steele kicked out of the elbow drop just because.

- Jake Roberts vs. George Wells. Squash match. At least Wells sold Damien better than anyone in wrestling history by foaming at the mouth.

- Mr. T vs. Roddy Piper in a boxing match. Downright unwatchable and ended in a DQ.

Those fans got to see less than 26 minutes of in-ring action. Fans at home got to hear Susan St. James on commentary.

• Locked thread