Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Old Boot posted:

Very, unfortunately. I was honestly debating posting what I did, but it's vague enough to be all right.

Are you allowed to talk about stuff after episodes have aired?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm not sure. I'll have to check with the folks I work with. I'm more of a contractor, though, so I'm going to guess 'probably not.'

EDIT: What I can say is, out of the total of 280 or so minutes of interviews I transcribed for season 4, only 3 minutes (give or take) actually got used. I'd imagine it'll be the same for the 400+ minutes I - and others - have transcribed for season 5.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 15, 2014

dumbhand
Nov 5, 2004

WATCH OUT!
Lol I wonder how many of my interviews you transcribed, we had a lot of fun in that chair.

Unfortunately our NDA's are very tight, basically all we can say about the show is that it was a blast to shoot and there is a lot of great stuff that happens this season.

Say hi to Aaron for me, he was one of my favorite artists.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

dumbhand posted:

Say hi to Aaron for me, he was one of my favorite artists.

I had been talking to him most of the night, he says hi and wonders who the gently caress you are I think.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
What's the purpose of those hundreds of hours of transcribing things?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Probably a combination of busy work to justify budgets for the show and never really knowing what the directors/writers will end up wanting to use.

My cousin is referring to Emily as Post-Op Tim Curry and I don't know if I'm going to Hell for laughing at it.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Hey, dumbhand. What is the deal with meth and dick sucking? The masses want to know!

e: Longpecker says hi! Apparently the Tampa convention went insanely well.

e2: In Portland Or. at the moment and will be visiting Josh Hibard soon to get some work done.

Throwdown fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 15, 2014

dumbhand
Nov 5, 2004

WATCH OUT!
Lol, we were just talking about our checkered pasts. Say hi to Josh for me as well. I still text Mark regularly. All in all it was a great group of artists this season.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

dumbhand posted:

Lol, we were just talking about our checkered pasts. Say hi to Josh for me as well. I still text Mark regularly. All in all it was a great group of artists this season.

Wait wait wait wait... This just opens up more questions.

dumbhand
Nov 5, 2004

WATCH OUT!
I used to be hardcore yo

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

dumbhand posted:

I used to be hardcore yo

Gnarly.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I guess I should watch this season. Still hope to be a guest judge one year haha

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Obviously I don't know their history, but most of the drama seems to come from Robbie, who flips flops between wanting to be better acquainted and getting flustered that his brother is sabotaging him. Jayvo just seems to sit there and observe it.

Edit: Methinks Emily is gonna lose her match against Julia, she's been pretty good so far. And Tim complaining about his canvas again.

OmegaBR fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 17, 2014

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I did like that the artists' reaction to the armpit tattoo made her change the location, and Tim's still gonna gently caress it up.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Seems like Tim should have been down there based on that wonky symmetry.

I'd argue Emily doesn't play the game better than Joshua, because, while he totally was a flip-flopper and everyone saw right through it, Emily's bitch act is quickly going to catch up with her once the scrubs are gone and she's on the line.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I don't think Emily's good enough to survive the poo poo that will inevitably be thrown her way. Granted, Josh probably should have gone home a couple weeks before he did, but he was good enough that he was on-par with at least the worst of the lot until there were only about five others there.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

CVagts posted:

I don't think Emily's good enough to survive the poo poo that will inevitably be thrown her way. Granted, Josh probably should have gone home a couple weeks before he did, but he was good enough that he was on-par with at least the worst of the lot until there were only about five others there.

Josh definitely should have gone home before Craig, as should've Baby.

But, to his credit, his tattoos are really standing out as some of the best this time. I think his biggest flaw is going to be his design decision making, like with the flash challenge.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I said this last week but if Josh performs as well as he did in S3, he's a strong bet to win this time. There really are no heavy hitters in the cast overall this season. That's what the results of the pinup challenge revealed.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Generally, no. A lot of the stuff that goes on in these interviews is highly private, whether that be related to the people actually speaking or to the behind-the-scenes ongoings of the show (For instance, I have a pretty good idea who's going to still be on this show 10 or however many episodes from now, and I already know who wins the grand prize on several other shows that don't even begin airing for months, so we can be trusted with some heavy poo poo here). On average, the files I dealt with for Ink Master were between 60 and 90 minutes of a person talking, and a lot of that wasn't even related to the show. Since we've got a producer in here, I won't even mention, without names, who did what because they very likely know who I'd be talking about if I did. I will say that two people told the same exact joke, which made me smile because it was a dumb joke. I can also tell you that I thank the people behind Ink Master for putting their studio in an airport, because airplanes taking off every 2 minutes is a welcome break sometimes.

Sound engineers and producers are lazy fuckers and don't want to run through their 8+ hours of daily footage to pick out those 30 seconds of lines that were said well enough to actually use, so myself and others get paid cash money (I've personally made between $800 and $900 from Ink Master alone across over 1,000 minutes of footage for this season) to listen to this poo poo for them and then they, later on, go through it both to know A: where to cut those lines and poo poo, since we also do timing, and B: what they asked in the last interview segment, since these things can be days or weeks apart.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 17, 2014

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Erik's lotus was bad. Also I think most good artist are going to try and avoid the show.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Gaunab posted:

Erik's lotus was bad. Also I think most good artist are going to try and avoid the show.

It looked like the coloring was done with colored pencils. His design was seriously the ugliest thing ever.

That one guy who was complaining about having a hard time doing lines because of a car accident; that seriously seems like a career breaker, why is he still tattooing people if he has a problem with steady hands?

Anyway, here's an image of all the tattoos done this week. Who are you going to vote for?

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I guess I should watch this season. Still hope to be a guest judge one year haha

I want to see you as a guest judge!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

It's interesting to actually see these, because while the producer and the interviewee have a book of pictures for the tats and other projects to reference, they don't show those on camera during the interviews so I've only heard some of these described via interview.

Dumbhand, from now on have your interviewees hold up the book for us!

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

ah salesmanship challenge.

Kinda surprised they haven't really done this before.

There are some clear poor performers, but they gotta get rid of Cris. He's admitted more than once to giving up, and that's going to produce a bad tattoo no matter what.

OmegaBR fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 24, 2014

Overweight Shark
Mar 18, 2009
I've never really put much stock in the concept of the human canvas jury but something about the way Navarro was talking in his little spiel made it seem really transparent that the bottom 3 are preselected and the jury just confirms something already decided.

I did like the salesman challenge though, hope they reuse that going forward.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Here's this week's challenge break down.

Some clear winners and some very obvious losers.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Did Aaron just make random squiggly lines on that fan instead of researching some actual kana/kanji writing? :psyduck:

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Did Aaron just make random squiggly lines on that fan instead of researching some actual kana/kanji writing? :psyduck:

It looks like he researched them but then just sort of squiggled them into the fan.

Overweight Shark posted:

I've never really put much stock in the concept of the human canvas jury but something about the way Navarro was talking in his little spiel made it seem really transparent that the bottom 3 are preselected and the jury just confirms something already decided.

I did like the salesman challenge though, hope they reuse that going forward.

Clearly they're going bring down and eliminate who they want, regardless of what the canvas jury or America vote on. But there have been a few times already this season where they had some clear losers but not a clear worst, and the jury vote seemingly pushed that person out the door.

Not the case this time, probably because Tim has done such a shoddy job numerous times. Cris' attitude has to change or he'll be next, although Mark's performance has been pretty poor overall.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

I gotta remember to PM for a sticky.

Did they say what Julia's eye thing was? Came in a bit late.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
They didn't say. Just that something happened to her eye.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
They glossed over it completely! "Oh yeah and this one can't see whatever back to Emily yelling at people".

That Ryan horse :stare:

E: according to twitter she got glue in her eye. That...explains very little.

I highly recommend the overly dramatic twitter feeds of the contestants. Don especially gets really defensive after the show ends. The way Emily deals with the horrific things people say to her makes me like her a little, too.

defectivemonkey fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 1, 2014

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

That horse by Ryan has some serious derp face going on.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

I'm an animal illustrator, it's what I have done for the past 10 years. Needless to say this episode was loving painful. Ryan's tattoo was utterly hilarious though.

Why did they not announce a winning tattoo? I thought Ty'esha's should definitely have taken it.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Am I the only one getting the impression that Aaron/Emily don't even dislike each other? It seems like they throw a passing "She's a bitch" "He's an awful person" to each other every once in a while but seem pretty friendly outside of that.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Power of Pecota posted:

Am I the only one getting the impression that Aaron/Emily don't even dislike each other? It seems like they throw a passing "She's a bitch" "He's an awful person" to each other every once in a while but seem pretty friendly outside of that.

Most reality is fairly scripted and I'll leave it at that.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

moerketid posted:

I'm an animal illustrator, it's what I have done for the past 10 years. Needless to say this episode was loving painful. Ryan's tattoo was utterly hilarious though.

Why did they not announce a winning tattoo? I thought Ty'esha's should definitely have taken it.

I think what's going on is, when they have an even number of contestants, they split them up into pairs and declare a winner of each pair, and when it's an odd number, they give them a general theme and announce the best of the bunch.

Power of Pecota posted:

I just got the impression that she puts that bitchy act to everyone, so she doesn't necessarily find Aaron as annoying as anybody who's challenging her in the moment.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Shima Honnou posted:

Most reality is fairly scripted and I'll leave it at that.

Ink Master is way more scripted than most by the looks of it, especially this season. So many eye rolls.

Hoopaloops
Oct 21, 2005
Ink Master has always been extra-heavy on the scripting. There was a story floating around from season 2, around mid-to-late point in the competition, so not a lot of competitors left. The off-site flash challenge had been a bit of a trek away, and the elimination challenge was seemingly more draining than usual, which combined into no one having the energy much to say to each other as they all sat around waiting to get called back for the judges verdicts. Queue the producers coming in, saying that they needed footage of more barbs being thrown around, and that the contestants couldn't leave until it happened. As you can imagine the heat turned up pretty quick.

That's what I always imagine watching the show now - the perceived gripes and insults getting hurled around aren't anyone's true opinion, or even their first, second, or third off-the-cuff reaction in the heat of the moment, but rather the result of a group of people stuck somewhere and not allowed to leave until they dial the edginess up 10 notches or so.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Instead of useless bugs or tweets it would be way funnier to see a color coded label in a corner classifying the chronology of each talking head/couch yelling segment one after another so you could see exactly how manufactured it all was.

Power of Pecota posted:

Have you really not yet considered that the entire "rivals" conceit is an absolute contrivance staged as a framing device shortcut? How would a viewer know anything about these contestants except the pair from S3? It's meaningless and ginned up.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 2, 2014

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
I will say that Emily is a bitch irl but that doesn't necessarily mean that Aaron and her are not friends, I have a lot of rear end in a top hat, dick and bitch friends, including Aaron himself and that is part of their charm. If you take reality shows at face value than good for you, but you are generally wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Have you really not yet considered that the entire "rivals" conceit is an absolute contrivance staged as a framing device shortcut? How would a viewer know anything about these contestants except the pair from S3? It's meaningless and ginned up.

The funniest one was the two brothers who had to be held back from attacking each other for 3 weeks and then suddenly reconciled and became bestest friends 30 seconds before one got eliminated. :v:

• Locked thread