Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
she's the dumpy, frumpy 3 who they keep giving prefabricated, shade-throwing B-roll cutaways to, because A SEASON WITH STAKES THIS LOW NEEDS A VILLAIN RIGHT OUT OF THE GATE

That "You Choose" special was loving comedic in its narrowness of scope. The only lipservice Craig got (aside from the only footage of him at all being when he was eliminated) was a corner feedtweet of support from Kyle. This only further bolsters the notion producers did not hesitate to remove him for being "too boring" for a proper clownshow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

lmao I always cackle throughout the pinup challenge episode because it objectively confirms everyone who is not good. This roster has literally no standouts.

If JOSHUA OF THE USED CAR DYNASTY performs anywhere near as well as he did in S3 he's going to win by default

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Sep 10, 2014

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

What's the purpose of those hundreds of hours of transcribing things?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I said this last week but if Josh performs as well as he did in S3, he's a strong bet to win this time. There really are no heavy hitters in the cast overall this season. That's what the results of the pinup challenge revealed.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Instead of useless bugs or tweets it would be way funnier to see a color coded label in a corner classifying the chronology of each talking head/couch yelling segment one after another so you could see exactly how manufactured it all was.

Power of Pecota posted:

Am I the only one getting the impression that Aaron/Emily don't even dislike each other? It seems like they throw a passing "She's a bitch" "He's an awful person" to each other every once in a while but seem pretty friendly outside of that.
Have you really not yet considered that the entire "rivals" conceit is an absolute contrivance staged as a framing device shortcut? How would a viewer know anything about these contestants except the pair from S3? It's meaningless and ginned up.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 2, 2014

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Shima Honnou posted:

I can't speak for exactly how long after principle photography the talking heads in Ink Master were (I got then sense it was a while afterwards, though), but for most reality TV the entire episode, sometimes even the whole season, is recorded before the talking head parts are.
That's what I suspected, and it still makes me laugh a lot! Thanks.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

lmao a suicide sob story preview for next week's episode from emily. you can set your watch to all the dyed-in-wool stereotypes that end up in the roster season after season!

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

jason quietly backing down on his (editing) manufactured resolve to sacrifice himself was really, really funny

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I think Josh is more likely to win than Cleen but they're basically both at the top of the heap.

dumbhand posted:

That was absolutely not editing btw. If an artist decides to change their strategy mid-stream we aren't telling them to do that. They decide how they are going to play the game and we follow that.
I do not mean manufactured in the absolutely literal sense, but that that whole "talk him out of it with Cleen & Eric" scene was pumped with dramatic music and emphasis to make it look like he was swearing himself to it, when in in fact it was probably a fleeting moment of passing consideration that he thought better of within minutes in off camera footage.

OmegaBR posted:

I figured it was because they asked each artist individually who should be up. Since Julia and Mark had already voted for each other, Jason would just look silly voting for himself. If they had asked the team as a whole, he might have stepped up.
I don't think so, he loves giving unprompted speeches so it seemed he thought better of his previous brash proclamation, which was really itself most likely a cowardly way to avoid personal face-to-face conflict with whoever he voted down. And thrusting one's self into an OPTIONAL exhausting 4 hour elimination scenario is quite possibly the worst thing anyone in the game could do by choice.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 17, 2014

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

It's a safe bet in saying they kept Julia because she provided them with a the storyline of an entire episode which they will flash back to incessantly during the "greatest hits" montages to come, as well as the fact her tattoo wasn't dogshit. I realized the driving reason Craig got criminally voted off in his season is because he gave the producers virtually nothing dramatic/wacky to work with whatsoever. What self-respecting reality company needs a soft spoken black guy they can't rely on for campy reaction shots or INCENDIARY TALKING HEADS

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

There isn't even a need to haughtily single out spikeTV in that regard, all reality television production companies want their shows to revel in screaming, crying and bickering. Douches yelling swears in kitchens is its own cottage television sub-genre.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

SyFy's Face Off is mostly a nice show about nice people helping each other out and offering positive encouragement even though they're in direct competition every week. :colbert:
in what world do you live in where "syfy" isn't an insane outlier, lol

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Does Aaron have some kind of concentric circle scarification on his cheek or did he just come out on the wrong end of a barfight once?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

What sacred about it? Is it the MacDonalds logo?!

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Honestly I don't think the "Ink Master Sample" could be too egregiously far off in its representation of proportionate skill strata of tattooists the world over. Like any artform there's going to be an extremely small crust of truly talented stand-outs and and endless number of well-meaning/jerkass scrubs. That's life

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

My favorite part of the rampant unapologetic "live mas'ing" was how every single critique for the flash challenge was over the top in its unconditional positivity so as not to associate doritos and beef substrate with bad, unchill feelings. They never do this about anything, so you knew the segment was basically commissioned. The "GOLDEN GORDITA AWARD" went to a lousy watch tattoo with flowers that looks bad!

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I laughed at that too because obese middle aged NY/NJ sounding dudes who probably don't care much for gays yet obliviously consider "300" their favorite film are a hilarious shame.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Ahahaha, that was the most embarrassing, limp-dick attempt to force a "DRAMABOMB" in the history of the show. They ended up portraying half the remaining cast as shrill, emasculated clucks & part-time D.A.R.E snitches, and as a result the competition is now just running out the clock until Cleen wins, making it somehow even less interesting of a season. :downsbravo:

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

he did a lot better this season, but it's impossible to say if he shut his mouth drastically more because of the countless hours of unseen footage they can't fabricate exchanges out of.

I did not stop laughing at the recurring "CHEATER!" jibes by the simpering, pissy-eyed dopes who couldn't have been happier to see a weakness in the frontrunning artist. " 'reefer madness' was a documentary, furthermore the only thing we're more interested in that winning are upholding the proud principles & sanctity of a reality production company's stringent contract law"

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

savinhill posted:

Also, we got another flash challenge where the judges wouldn't say anything negative about the tattoos.
I noticed that again immediately, they clearly had another network mandate memo to not hurt feelings of this episode's themed outlier group. Huge laughs at how everyone was twisting themselves into excruciating knots while saying "RESIDUAL LIMB" at all costs, one of the coldest most antiseptic PC-catchwords I've ever heard. And then to make it even funnier, pretty much every canvas referred to their own "stumps" with completely casual cadence, making everyone else look like a fool again. Outstanding schadenfreude

Wallet posted:

I could be wrong, but I can only imagine that the reason they threw him off for it, and the reason it's covered in the rules at all, is because of the liability of having someone tattooing on the show who is stoned.
It seems unlikely that anyone would spark a doob before putting themselves into a challenge scenario. it was probably during the outdoor smokebreaks that I would wager nearly the entire cast take daily.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 12, 2014

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Binary Logic posted:

There are many sports in which a steady hand is an asset and therefore having cannabis in your bloodstream is grounds for elimination, even though some might think pot is always something that will impair performance.

I'm amazed this isn't more widely known.
http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2012-08/fyi-why-cannabis-olympic-banned-substances-list
The factors are known, you're exclusively listing potential positives and overlooking the fact that marijauna often doesn't cancel out as much anxiety as it incites even more easily. I don't even think it's likely he smoked before challenges but in offhours when everyone would be smoking their cigs

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

OmegaBR posted:

Not that Cleen's design wasn't better, but they ragged on Cris for giving them wings and a ribbon, and then Cleen gives them a bird and a ribbon and gets praised.
Don't forget the tasteful parallel between disingenuous shilling of pink ribbon corporate interests unfront, paired with an unrelated back-half where every single canvas is totally bald, rofl

The show is often at its worst when their weekly guest is an egocentric dolt who sticks around the entire episode with no merit-based justification for doing so.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Mark has been a non-factor nearly the entire season, benefiting repeatedly from Nunez's unsubtle friendship & favortism, but no other competitor has shown any personality at all compared to when he got the skull picks 2 episodes ago. It was actually amusing on purpose, for all 70 seconds it lasted.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

savinhill posted:

There's not many easier ways to get me to hate someone than saying that they're responsible for the NFL's pink october merchandising opportunism. I did agree with him about Erik's tattoo being better than Clean's though. I thought Clean's was just a bad design that looked like Eddie in old-lady drag, while Erik gave his dude the badass, evil design he wanted, plus he pulled it off on the dude's back head & neck area that looked like it had nasty pockmarks and fatrolls.
Laughed out loud at that nincompoop actively trying to glean noble glory and accolades from his family's genetic predisposition for cancer as well as assuming he was somehow the one directing his profit-hungry corporate overlords.

I also thought Cleen's skull looked like some 'Priscilla Queen of the Desert' cornball poo poo

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Wade Wilson posted:

Yeah, no poo poo. Speaking as a cancer survivor, you don't fight cancer, you simply survive it if it's caught in time.

So many charities talk like if you try hard enough you can survive cancer. You literally don't have to do a loving thing (other than follow your doctor's instructions) and you're totally at the mercy of your doctors picking the correct treatment.
Yeah I recently saw that documentary "Pink Ribbons Inc." on netflix and the enormity of corporate greed, corruption and media-promoted narrative of lies and fallacies that singlehandedly puppetmaster the "awareness" racket are profoundly revolting and allowed to run rampant without critical analysis by the public due to the moronic blanket of reductiveness our culture wallows in. They've collaborated to create a status quo notion that anyone who has succumbed to one civilization's most dreaded incurable diseases "didn't 'fight' hard enough". What a grotesque sham, and this doesn't even cover just how little of charity proceed funding goes toward meaningful, targeted academically useful research

This is...not the thread for this, but I sincerely detest seeing this fraudulent profiteering being shoehorned into every possible media avenue without ever being questioned for its evident corruptness.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 21, 2014

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Ahaha. Well alright then.

For the month of October, this program will be known as "Pink Master". Give (Susan G Komen Executives) Mas!

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

"...ruthless mercenary PR firms have arbitrarily fused it to a color that produces intrinsic feelings of warmth, friendliness and safety in the collective public consciousness, allowing us to broach the idea of cancer without compromising a housewife's desire to buy Dove Soap and Doritos Locos Home Taco Kits"

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Power of Pecota posted:

What was DeAngelo Williams' answer to that question at the end? Something like "If you ride the middle you just end up mediocre, if you have highs and lows you want to have more highs than lows and then you're in the top"

Christ
the power of a free ride through college courtesy of footballs

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Chris May from S3, the beardo with the hat who cried a lot on camera. He seemed alright but he disappeared for good after posting like 3 times.

Before that Sarah "Stinkface" Miller from S2 was reputedly some goon's girlfriend, which is still funny in retrospect. He probably died after having his balls gnawed off during a likely breakup. :roflolmao: She's probably been the best performing female artist in the show's run, though.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Nov 24, 2014

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

This season has consistently been showing that Dave Navarro is the most sensible person on the judging panels, which is hilarious for so many reasons

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

it's no surprise by now that the judges frequently invent/overstate flaws and then tunnel vision on these imaginary foibles on an inexplicable arbitrary basis.

Don't know if anyone else noticed this, but tonight's DORITOS "LIVE" "MAS" "MOMENT" explicitly spoiled the top 3 in the very first commercial of the very first commercial break, lmao

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Hey, what do you know. That was probably the most entertaining finale yet, despite the glaring omission of drawing any attention of Josh's troubles during the awkward, clipped competitor segments. It was somehow steeped with actual suspense despite how foregone the conclusion has seemed the entire back half of the season. Jason's win was actually really energizing to see, and his piece was drat good considering he's probably had next to no new school prowess. I enjoyed watching Cleen's entire reserve of assured confidence instantly evaporate out of his body language the moment he didn't win AMERICA'S "LIVE MAS" VOTE. This one actually came down to the wire for once, and for all the wasted time it did what it intended better than ever before.

Also weird was the unspoken omission of Scott Marshall (though one of those pointless tweets at the beginning was his), and the silent ignorance of other past INK MASTERS in the background. But hey, have the coronation of Sausage as officially sanctioned LIVE MAS "fan favorite", drawing a cute anime Xmas elf any canvas will almost certainly regret by the time June rolls around and it's shorts weather. It's interesting that he's teaming up with Joey Hamilton to open their own shop, whatever that means.

Above all, big shoutout to Dave Navarro for being "most improved" and "least buffoonish staff member". There's a handful of times this season where he's called out inexplicable nonsense from Peck and Nunez, actually playing the voice of reason. And he's finally got this "live hosting" thing down pat after 5 whole attempts. The only truly embarrassing thing he was embroiled in was that stretch of episodes where he wouldn't stop wearing a fat black grandma's church hats to work. Gotta give credit where it's due after justifiably beating up on him for so long!

detectivemonkey posted:

This fake live deliberation is just embarrassing for everyone..
The final call wasn't fake, there's absolutely no way Navarro is good enough of an actor to summon uncertain body language and nervous cold sweats on demand. Also, it was cool and good to watch.

KingsPawn posted:

Also did anyone catch the snickering as Dave talked about the furniture competition? I couldn't stop laughing about it.
Yes. I've been laughing my rear end off about that since the commercial premiered the other week. Common: On Endtables

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 17, 2014

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

detectivemonkey posted:

Seriously? You watched that and thought "this is very realistic and certainly genuine"? Besides the fact that I don't buy for a second the idea that they knew what the tattoos looked like before they went on stage but didn't figure out who won.

Maybe I'm just way too cynical?

I totally agree about Josh that was weird as poo poo. I wish they'd talked more to the loser panel. They definitely did it less than in previous finales and relied on clips more.
Nothing about Ink Master is ever "very realistic and certainly genuine". However, I do believe the final decision was in fact determined in those closing moments. Jason actually winning was a big surprise, and I have no problem believing those three judges were prepared to punch the 'cleen button' and hit the afterparty ASAP before the special had even begun. I mean, they voted WITH AMERICA. That never happens! LIVE MAS

Also, was it weird how desaturated Cleen and Eric's tats appeared to be? Is a side-effect of color realism looking kind of faded a months or two after completion? Odd that they singled out Jason for a critique on background saturation when his was the only one that was vivid while pleasingly contrasting (new school style or not).

I figure they dodged around Josh because it's a litigious matter, but notice also that they reinvited him for one of the specials which shows just how much the producers care about rule violations defying the SPIRIT OF INK MASTER (it was probably more of a spike tv/viacom legal concern)

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 17, 2014

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Josh definitely would been in the final showdown, which is what makes them willfully ignoring his situation all the more silly. Still, nothing is ever going to be as memorably heinous as them booting Craig, who I doubt has attended any Ink Master event after that season since it's reasonable to assume his shop is actually quite successful.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Probably, and it's even funnier because I have a feeling a flighty flake would actually be bothered by the revelation that their prospective tattoo won the competition and they missed out on a ton of attention and an icebreaker anecdote for life, while being left with something too big to feasibly cover up.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Ahahaha, the NYE special was one of the funniest things they've ever aired. Awkward trash talk across the board, CJ revealing her mental unwellness, and almost every single human canvas was a mournful trainwreck.

I don't think I've laughed harder at a single moment than when Oliver called the face on gentle jay's final tattoo "freakish & scary", when it was an eerie resemblance to the repulsive spraytan white trash beefjerky mummy it was inked on :roflolmao:

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Mystical Mike's appearance made that whole snooze of a clipshow worth it. But it was indeed pleasantly surprising that Navarro was busting on that headcase with her eyes way too far apart. And that brief but hilarious clip of her getting sandblasted with the laser, which she needs to go and have 18 appointments for, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

HE'S JUST LIKE REAL PEOPLE except with the earrings of your outspoken single aunt!

• Locked thread