Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
People were debating weather or not to make the WoW private server Blizz-Like or with modified rule sets. We wound up going with custom rule sets for 100% drop rates of things, the MOBS and Bossses are all behaving properly. Stuff drops and achievements all work. One of the people helping me apparently wanted to do procedural patching so the switch to vanilla-> cata world would be possible while clearing all content. That seemed to work out fine, also the vendor who sells the TCG items sells the Blizzard store items for like 1g each so even the extra extra poo poo works.

We also dicked around with some custom maps I made in maya and not only do they work, this also means for the hell of you it you could recreate morrowind with WoW assets, but those won't be used for this. Same with giving the WoW characters diablo character abilities and smashing through packs of mobs just like in diablo, which worked very well if you changed the values of AOE abilities.

And we got the AQ event and quest chain working so everyone can be Scarab Lords. The values for cloth and poo poo is changed so each piece counts for more than it is and it doesn't take days to complete.

But we're having 20 people over this week, and everyone wants to do everything. The only thing that probably will be changed are the PVP ones and will be granted automatically after just entering the specified PVP arena(nobody really likes PVP).

Mind you nobody is making money off of this, and I really gotta wonder why Blizzard doesn't make a forge program like Bethesda did with Morrowind. Because it's a load of fun making your own areas and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

LaTex Fetish posted:

wow it was sounding cool and then all of a sudden it turned into a buncha human being casuals licking each other's balls.

I dunno 100 matches of each will take hours. That's why nobody likes PVP achievements.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Doctor Goat posted:

You can change the value of other stuff but not this?

I dunno there's stuff like Wintergrasp which is fun, but then you have stuff like Warsong gultch. People were really luke warm about doing PVP, like they just seemed to want to try each battle area once and then maybe go back to it after all the PVE content was cleared.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

LaTex Fetish posted:

arathi basin was my favorite battleground after pre-fuckup alterac valley

Yeah those were good ones. But the other issue is I'm pretty sure everyone is going to be on the same side. Last time we did Horde, so we may do alliance.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
We just finished a few minutes ago.

Server worked incredibly well and we did Vanilla, most of TBC, and parts of WoTLK. So tomorrow is rest of WOTLK, Cataclysm, and MOP. People got their Thunderfuries and Sulfurases. Naxx and Malygos took us the longest because some of their achievements didn't click the first time, not only that Maly drops two mounts so one run was just strictly a mount run and then we had to do him again on the 10man.

oh and we did firelands to break the cycle because someone had to be that one guy who didn't want to do everything in Chronological order.

oh and the script command so the entire party gets whatever mount/legendary piece drops is amazing.

It's a real shame that live servers will never be this fun. Seriously MOP kinda sucks despite being the Asian expansion there's hardly any epic samurai stuff.

the create-a-vendor script also owns, you can make them sell anything at whatever price you wish.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Sep 3, 2014

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So..........zombie event works.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Heh wow people wanted to go to pandaria to get those raids and 5 mans out of the way because of how terrible they were. They were right, poo poo just felt like "yeah here's some more content because....reasons", nothing felt like it had a creative spark, and everything looked more soulless than some of the cataclysm raids.

The Pterodactyl mount is cool, but all that other poo poo like the Isles was all terrible grinding for mounts. And the world bosses while fun in concept really become not fun when you realize they originally did not reward everyone who participated a vanity item. Granted the triceratops and raptor mounts look very cool but they're bogged down with a ton of awful gameplay designs.

I think we broke two guys of their wow addictions. They kept talking about WOD and how it might return the series to it's former glory. But Bam we did the World Boss/Rare spawn hunt from TBC to Pandaria and one of the guys was just sitting there going "I camped TLPD for a whole week and I just saw 19 other people get theirs in an instant" he was in disbelief and had that glazed over thousand yard stare.

We beefed up the TLPD so it would be a world boss so it wouldn't die so easily, we also made it huge as poo poo. Honestly the way they work on the servers now it's nigh impossible without exploits from what I understand. I mean the rare spawn thing works good in theory and is somewhat interesting from a single player perspective if you're into lifelike waiting simulators. But they should put a timer on the corpse with a clickable node so whoever passes by the body can get the mount as loot. That way nobody is fighting over it and it can be a server effort to bring it down and have everyone benefit.

Hunters got their spirit beasts and poo poo, but nobody bothered to make extra room in their stables for all 100+ hunter pets to fit. it was an oversight.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Silver Striker posted:

when i was briefly unemployed i looked into camping or farming some of the rarer mounts and it's poo poo. time lost proto and anything like it is awful now because cross realm zones mean youre competing against like 5x-10x as many people.

Yeah I heard about the cross servers. They did it so dead realms would not appear dead. However one of the people that's here played on some custom Dalaran server and said on average the private custom servers are more active than the individual live servers now.

Not sure what the WoW server cap was before cross realms, but funneling everyone into a single spot was probably less than ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Powercrazy posted:

MMO's are poo poo

Yes this is true.

• Locked thread