Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

HoratioRash posted:

Dowries were banned, forced marriages were banned, men were allowed to shave bears and women were prohibited from wearing burkas.

I know it's an innocent typo but I love the mental picture of a bunch of Afghani men joyfully exercising their newfound right to shave bears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?

Gabriel Pope posted:

I know it's an innocent typo but I love the mental picture of a bunch of Afghani men joyfully exercising their newfound right to shave bears.

Afghan men, Afghani is the currency! :eng101:
Sorry, it's a thing that was really hammered home when I was there.

What are some of the cultural differences and stereotypes across Russia itself? Like comparing people from Moscow to people living in Siberia? I guess Soviet-era and modern if there is any difference.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Dirt5o8 posted:

What are some of the cultural differences and stereotypes across Russia itself? Like comparing people from Moscow to people living in Siberia? I guess Soviet-era and modern if there is any difference.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_jokes#Ethnic_stereotypes

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

Is there anything actually wrong with the bolded? I mean, we do nuclear powered submarines okay. I'm guessing there's some unique engineering challenges that make it not be a good idea.

I Am Not An Engineer, but I dunno how you'd run a jet or rocket engine off of a nuclear reactor. I think you're stuck with using the nuclear reactor to generate electricity or steam and drive a propeller, in combination with the added weight from shielding those are pretty serious constraints on what you can do with a nuke-powered plane, safety aside.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Pellisworth posted:

I Am Not An Engineer, but I dunno how you'd run a jet or rocket engine off of a nuclear reactor. I think you're stuck with using the nuclear reactor to generate electricity or steam and drive a propeller, in combination with the added weight from shielding those are pretty serious constraints on what you can do with a nuke-powered plane, safety aside.

I think the idea was that it would be a ramjet and the reactor would be unshielded and air-cooled. They'd fly around at mach 5 at low altitude, drop the 50-bomb payload onesie-twosies on Russian cities, then cruise around spraying fallout everywhere until the plane fell apart.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

Jet turbine engines work by using heated fluids (air, in most cases), to drive a set of fancy fan blades. How the air gets heated is not important. If you're ever in Idaho, you can see the prototypes.

Also:

feedmegin posted:

With the added caveat that America has actually nuked a country in real life, unlike the Soviet Union...

You seem to be under the illusion that using two nuclear weapons on Japan was the worst thing we did to them during WWII.

It wasn't. Please do some reading on the 20th Air Force's incendiary campaign against Japanese cities.

As far as horrible ways to die goes, being vaporized by an atomic bomb is way better than a full-scale fire raid.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

MRC48B posted:

You seem to be under the illusion that using two nuclear weapons on Japan was the worst thing we did to them during WWII.

It wasn't. Please do some reading on the 20th Air Force's incendiary campaign against Japanese cities.

As far as horrible ways to die goes, being vaporized by an atomic bomb is way better than a full-scale fire raid.

Don't wanna turn this into nukechat but it was quite a bit worse than being vaporized, actually. Americans from their part obviously censored the aftermath as much as they could.
Here's a recent documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8QY5gt1weE

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

blugu64 posted:

Radioactive exhaust that irradiates the land below the flight path. Also NIMBY spoil sports.

Project Pluto I think.

Under 15 posted:

I think the idea was that it would be a ramjet and the reactor would be unshielded and air-cooled. They'd fly around at mach 5 at low altitude, drop the 50-bomb payload onesie-twosies on Russian cities, then cruise around spraying fallout everywhere until the plane fell apart.

Project Pluto was a missile using an unshielded nuclear reactor to power a ramjet. It wouldn't be crewed and it wouldn't drop a bomb.

There were also plans for nuclear-powered planes, on both sides, but none were ever produced. If you look up back issues of Scientific American, sometimes you can find 1-page job advertisements requesting scientists and engineers for projects like this. They wouldn't have suffered from the radioactive exhaust issue that you allude to, since it would be very difficult to vent nuclear exhaust without inadvertently poisoning the crew. The idea was that you'd put a small nuclear reactor on a bomber with propeller engines so that you could have better endurance, which serves as a better deterrent than bombers with gas-powered propellers. The issue of shielding the crew from the reactor was apparently never quite solved, and then ICBMs came along and obsoleted the whole idea.

FilthyImp posted:

I'd consider "flying an atomic bomb around" a pretty significant engineering challenge.

Nuclear reactors are not nuclear bombs. But in any case, we never had an issue with flying around bombers that carried nuclear bombs

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Sep 22, 2014

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MRC48B posted:

His point was that Soviets feared that the only country who had ever used atomic weapons might use atomic weapons again, which probably helped to make the threat feel even more real and imminent. I don't think that he was implying anything about the morality or devastation of such weapons

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Rhymenoserous posted:

Back to this: If a nuke sub goes bad you can scuttle it and all that open ocean water would do a decent job of keeping things from becoming a complete disaster. Meanwhile a military pilot in control of a nuclear aircraft pulls a "Hey guys watch this" and crashes in a residential area.

And if you don't think pilots are irresponsible idiots when flying military aircraft watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjFIB1L3BPU

B52 pilot hotdogging kills 4 people, including a guy who was on it as his last flight before retirement.

Getting off topic for this thread, but the guy who was on his last pre-retirement flight is a hero. He had long said that the pilot was dangerous, and didn't need to be on this flight, but he in good conscience wouldn't risk anyone else's life.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

Getting off topic for this thread, but the guy who was on his last pre-retirement flight is a hero. He had long said that the pilot was dangerous, and didn't need to be on this flight, but he in good conscience wouldn't risk anyone else's life.

So was the pilot messing around or was he just incompetent?

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Dirt5o8 posted:

There's significant overlap between A and B there when you're flying a 100-ton aircraft.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Dirt5o8 posted:

I guess it depends on what your definition of incompetent is, but the pilot had a long history of breaking safety rules and doing really unsafe poo poo in the air. He had previously almost crashed a B-52 on his daughter's softball game by doing dumb maneuvers, but managed to save it at the last second.

So to answer your question, I'd say he was messing around due to his own incompetence.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

QuarkJets posted:

But in any case, we never had an issue with flying around bombers that carried nuclear bombs

Goodness knows what happened in Russia when military nuclear accidents occurred (I'd love to know and that would be relevant to the thread), but the US had their fair share, with 32 officially recognised Broken Arrow incidents (Not limited to aircraft incidents), including:

1950: A bomber with engine trouble jettisons a nuclear weapon that detonates and spreads enriched uranium over Canada, where it was secretly deployed.
1956: A B-47 bomber carrying material for 2 nuclear weapons disappears between Florida and Morocco, never to be seen again.
1958: An B-47 airman pulls the wrong lever and drops a nuke onto a kids playhouse.
1961: A B-52 breaks up in midair and drops an armed nuke or two near Goldsboro, NC.
1965: A plane with a nuke falls off of an aircraft carrier, plane pilot and payload all lost.
1966: A B-52 collides with a tanker, two of it's nukes explode and spreads radioactive material across part of Spain.
1968: A B-52 catches fire and it's four nukes explode, irradiating Greenland.

Perhaps the 1961 incident involved an armed nuke, but the others apparently could not have resulted in a nuclear detonation. Of course if "A nuclear detonation accidentally occurring" is your definition of an issue, then no, we never had an issue with nukes getting scenic flights all over the place.

This list of military nuclear accidents really drives home what McNamara mentioned in The Fog of War about the combination of nuclear weapons and human fallibility (though he spoke in reference to offensive use). Actually, that doco would be kind of relevant to the thread, at least the parts when he mentions talking to his commie counterparts after the facts, at least Castro and some Vietnamese dude. What are the chances of a Russian Documentary of similar scope being produced?

The Sausages fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 23, 2014

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011

Dirt5o8 posted:

What were people's reactions during some of the big confrontations? Like the Cuban Missile crisis?

Fortuitously, Khrushchev's son, Sergei Khrushchev, emigrated to the US in the 90s and answers this exact question in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phpe0DsisbY. You might find more videos where he speaks online.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Senor Tron posted:

Not to say that anyone was not a hero, but I think that you may be conflating Col. Wolff (the officer on his last flight) with Lt. Col. McGeehan (the officer who knew Lt. Col. Holland was a menace and prevented anyone from flying with him unless McGeehan was co-pilot).

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Cuntpunch posted:

Here's another:

There's the classic, possibly untrue, story of Yeltsin visiting a supermarket in Houston and being blown away by the experience, in contrast to its parallel in Russia at the time.

This totally happened, for the record.

http://blog.chron.com/thetexican/2014/04/when-boris-yeltsin-went-grocery-shopping-in-clear-lake/#22200101=0

Houston Chronicle posted:

Yeltsin asked customers about what they were buying and how much it cost, later asking the store manager if one needed a special education to manage a store. In the Chronicle photos, you can see him marveling at the produce section, the fresh fish market, and the checkout counter. He looked especially excited about frozen pudding pops.

MothraAttack fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 3, 2014

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
To be fair I've lived in the US my whole life and sometimes I marvel at the ice cream section. Klondike Bars with mint chocolate chip ice cream? Genius.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

this is really depressing. poor old communist man. :(

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
The father of a former school friend of mine is a journalist, and she told me a story about how he was riding in the car with Yeltsin once, who was noticably drunk as usual, and had the car stop in order to take a dump in the woods by the road.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

Hannibal Rex posted:

The father of a former school friend of mine is a journalist, and she told me a story about how he was riding in the car with Yeltsin once, who was noticably drunk as usual, and had the car stop in order to take a dump in the woods by the road.

I saw this a couple times in Europe by old people. Just pulling over on the side of the road and unloading real fast. One was actually stopped by a cop but it didn't seem to phase her too much.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

QuarkJets posted:

There were also plans for nuclear-powered planes, on both sides, but none were ever produced. If you look up back issues of Scientific American, sometimes you can find 1-page job advertisements requesting scientists and engineers for projects like this. They wouldn't have suffered from the radioactive exhaust issue that you allude to, since it would be very difficult to vent nuclear exhaust without inadvertently poisoning the crew. The idea was that you'd put a small nuclear reactor on a bomber with propeller engines so that you could have better endurance, which serves as a better deterrent than bombers with gas-powered propellers. The issue of shielding the crew from the reactor was apparently never quite solved, and then ICBMs came along and obsoleted the whole idea.

Both the USAF and Soviet Air Forces worked with Convair and Tupolev to test putting reactors in aircraft though, ending up with the NB-36H and Tu95-LAL respectively. The reactors in both never powered anything and were just used to test the effectiveness of the shielding. Turns out it does work but you can't put any bombs in your nuclear bomber because it's too heavy now it's full of lead and other stuff.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Turns out it does work but you can't put any bombs in your nuclear bomber because it's too heavy now it's full of lead and other stuff.

Could something like this work with today's nuclear/aerospace tech, or is it still too heavy to work? Also, how much shielding could you get rid of if you did this to an RPV? Combine it with Groverlasers and a nuclear powered drone could have a pretty long loiter time.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

bitcoin bastard posted:

Could something like this work with today's nuclear/aerospace tech, or is it still too heavy to work? Also, how much shielding could you get rid of if you did this to an RPV? Combine it with Groverlasers and a nuclear powered drone could have a pretty long loiter time.

We'd probably put it in AWACS if we could.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

bitcoin bastard posted:

It "worked" with 60s tech. We just didn't want to throw enough money at the problem to get a production aircraft.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
One thing to keep in mind is that the USSR spent a lot of time playing catchup to the US arsenal, with the US arsenal being expanded far beyond necessity due to internal military politics, politicans appearing hawkish, and bad information about how many weapons the USSR had.

At one military display the Soviets flew the same few bombers over the stands multiple times, tricking the American observers into thinking they had 400 nuclear capable bombers and not just like 14. So the Americans flip their poo poo about a 'bomber gap' and build 800 bombers. This creates an actual bomber gap that the Soviets then have to match, lest the Americans get actually good intelligence and realize that a suprise nuclear attack would be very one-sided.

This pattern plays out quite a lot during the Cold War, and there's an argument that the Soviet economy simply couldn't keep up with American military spending. If I remember correctly, the American arsenal peaked in the late 1960's, and as our bombs got better we gradually got rid of the old ones. The Soviet arsenal didn't peak until the 1980s, as they tried to match Reagan's massive military expansion with a similarly large deployment of nuclear weapons just to prevent that lunatic from starting a war.

I think of the Cold War as two beefy drunk guys on the street daring each other to throw the first punch but both being scared to get in a fight.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Popular Thug Drink posted:

I think of the Cold War as two beefy drunk guys on the street daring each other to throw the first punch but both being scared to get in a fight.

More like two beefy drunk guys holding whirring chainsaws at each others' necks and threatening to push but hoping to gently caress neither does because if they do they both die. Part of the reason the Cold War never got hot was because if one side picked a big fight neither side would win.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

ToxicSlurpee posted:

More like two beefy drunk guys holding whirring chainsaws at each others' necks and threatening to push but hoping to gently caress neither does because if they do they both die. Part of the reason the Cold War never got hot was because if one side picked a big fight neither side would win.

Also they've got everybody else on the streets neck on the sawblade as well and if one goes they all go.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

eigenstate posted:

Fortuitously, Khrushchev's son, Sergei Khrushchev, emigrated to the US in the 90s and answers this exact question in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phpe0DsisbY. You might find more videos where he speaks online.

Interesting, I wonder how many other senior Soviet officials have descendants that now live in the US? I know that Stalin's daughter defected to the US. Also makes me wonder what their Soviet predecessors would have thought of their defection/emigration, Khrushchev in particular.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Frostwerks posted:

Also they've got everybody else on the streets neck on the sawblade as well and if one goes they all go.

"The nuclear arms race is like two sworn enemies standing waist deep in gasoline, one with three matches, the other with five." Carl Sagan

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

bitcoin bastard posted:

Pointless with the new hypersonic missiles and drones in development. Loitering ability doesn't matter when you can have something like that anywhere in the world in a matter of minutes.

Plus having a nuclear powered aircraft REALLY rubs people the wrong way; you think the NIMBYism is bad when they try to build a new power reactor somewhere? Imagine the uproar when politicians find out the military wants to fly reactors over people's houses.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Pointless with the new hypersonic missiles and drones in development. Loitering ability doesn't matter when you can have something like that anywhere in the world in a matter of minutes.

Plus having a nuclear powered aircraft REALLY rubs people the wrong way; you think the NIMBYism is bad when they try to build a new power reactor somewhere? Imagine the uproar when politicians find out the military wants to fly reactors over people's houses.

There are a lot more problems with a nuclear powered aircraft than just flying it. Simple version: What happens if it crashes? Cleanup sounds fun.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

bitcoin bastard posted:

There's no point. The point in the 50s was to have nuclear bomb capability anywhere at any time by having planes in the air forever. We have ICBMs now, so that's irrelevant

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Shooting Blanks posted:

There are a lot more problems with a nuclear powered aircraft than just flying it. Simple version: What happens if it crashes? Cleanup sounds fun.

Yeah that was my point. Flying something like that over anything other than open international waters is a recipe for large scale contamination when something goes wrong, hence my comment about it never being allowed. NIMBYs won't allow safe civilian power reactors anywhere near their homes, so a nuclear plane that is admittedly much much less safe would never get off the ground in the 21st century.

This is the same issue with nuclear rockets BTW, which have been developed and may well propel us to other planets at some point - but they will have to be launched with conventional means and only activate the nuclear engine once clear of earth because blasting off atop a column of fallout is kinda looked down upon.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Those NIMBYs, they just couldn't make a rational decision *looks at upside down chart of military plane crashes in the 60s*

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel
From the academic side of things there is a great book that deals with the foreign policy of the early Cold War from a Soviet perspective, "Inside the Kremlin's Cold War: From Stalin to Krushchev" by Vladislav Zubok and Constantine Pleshakov. It's a bit old now, but it was an informative read.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Best Friends posted:

Those NIMBYs, they just couldn't make a rational decision *looks at upside down chart of military plane crashes in the 60s*

Yeah, uh, if you heard a wooshing sound, it was probably the point flying over your head.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Hey don't forget France and the UK holding butter knives saying 'come at me and I'll give you such a nasty cut on the wrist before you chop my head off!'

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
What was the reaction of Soviet elites (and also Soviet citizens) to the chilling of Sino-USSR relations and Nixon/Kissinger's overtures to China?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

This is the same issue with nuclear rockets BTW, which have been developed and may well propel us to other planets at some point - but they will have to be launched with conventional means and only activate the nuclear engine once clear of earth because blasting off atop a column of fallout is kinda looked down upon.

It's worse, once the Nimby crowd understands that we want to send a nuclear rocket up even on conventional thrust expect videos of challenger to abound and people saying "Just launching them is too dangerous".

Until we can mine the heavy metals in space and do the launch from there, it's going to be hell.

• Locked thread