Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Triggerhappypilot posted:

So is Amagi Brilliant Park going to be Roller Coaster Tycoon: The Anime, or will it be a bunch of harem/magic/assorted anime bullshit and there is also a park in the background>

i dont have very high hopes for it even though it is being directed by one of KyoAni's best directors. the actual light novel was written by the guy who wrote full metal panic so...

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

It sounded promising when it was first announced. But after seeing the trailer...

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Namtab posted:

Man, the gundam guy sounds like an arsehole imo.

You would too if you worked in the cesspit of an industry that is anime since the late 1960's.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Quirkk posted:

It sounded promising when it was first announced. But after seeing the trailer...

To be fair, the trailer for Nozaki was completely misleading and not terribly great as well, and it is the best show this season.

Note: I have not actually watched the Amagi Brilliant Park trailer or read anything about the series, just saying that trailers often aren't the best thing to judge by.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 3, 2014

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Is it just me, or does it seem like there's an awful lot of new Fightin' Shounens airing this Fall?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Parasyte - I might even watch the live action versions if they get subbed/aren't total poo poo, Mushishi Season 2 part 2, Psycho Pass S2 (even though the first was pretty drat underwhelming), the Gargantia special, and I'll give Sanzoku no Musume Ronja a chance.

Who the gently caress wanted a tenchi reboot

Relin fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 19, 2014

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
A "slapstick business comedy" sounds like it could be okay in theory at least. But I never watch trailers.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Fall 2014 anime: 2nd seasons, reboots, poo poo.

and that one obligatory comedy per season that manages to entertain. Probably the bathtub merman one.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

AnacondaHL posted:

Fall 2014 anime: 2nd seasons, reboots, poo poo.

and that one obligatory comedy per season that manages to entertain. Probably the bathtub merman one.

The bathtub merman manga is fairly entertaining

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

i dont have very high hopes for it even though it is being directed by one of KyoAni's best directors. the actual light novel was written by the guy who wrote full metal panic so...

KyoAni hasn;t done anything good in years and its getting more and more depressing every season that they announce another 3 months of boring sci-fi romance or just plain old boring romance.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

KyoAni hasn;t done anything good in years and its getting more and more depressing every season that they announce another 3 months of boring sci-fi romance or just plain old boring romance.

Huh? Hyouka was basically their best show ever, and that 2012. Not too long ago.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Redcrimson posted:

Is it just me, or does it seem like there's an awful lot of new Fightin' Shounens airing this Fall?

...Not really? Seven Deadly Sins is a big one, and then there's (I guess) World Trigger and the usual smattering of LN-esque fantasy themed harem/High School comedy shows that usually suck.

I think Nichijou was the last thing they did I really liked, though there's a few shows in there I skipped completely. Hope is eternal, I suppose.

madmac fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 3, 2014

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i will agree that everything after Hyouka has been decent at best. they will probably never have another show as good as K-On or Haruhi or Nichijou, but they are still putting out decent enough stuff.

except for that beyond the boundary show that was really bad

----------------

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
KyoAni is a weird studio; for being so drat small its hard to follow their show selection / direction. Do they have a board or is it just stakeholder driven or what?

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Zorak posted:

KyoAni is a weird studio; for being so drat small its hard to follow their show selection / direction. Do they have a board or is it just stakeholder driven or what?

they were used by Kadokawa, TBS, and Pony for a long time and most of their big shows, but now they are actually producing and financing a lot of their content themselves. they ran a competition asking for people to submit light novels, scenarios, and other stuff to them and have just been turning those into anime. forums poster ultimatemegax will definitely know more than me

----------------

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

they were used by Kadokawa, TBS, and Pony for a long time and most of their big shows, but now they are actually producing and financing a lot of their content themselves. they ran a competition asking for people to submit light novels, scenarios, and other stuff to them and have just been turning those into anime. forums poster ultimatemegax will definitely know more than me

So fishing for their own profitable IP, more or less, rather then being paid to adapt established series. I can't fault the motive, but I can't say it's been working out very well for them either.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Zorak posted:

Before 2010, they were at the mercy of whatever Kadokawa (though Producer Ito and Planner Wada) and TBS (through Producer Nakayama) wanted to do (thus the adaptations). Beginning in that year, they opened a contest for people to contribute novel, manga, and scenario ideas to the studio to publish through their novel division and to possible adapt into an anime. Since then, their decisions are based around what Yoko Hatta (planning head of KyoAni) wants to do. Amagi Brilliant Park is a project pushed by the director, Yasuhiro Takemoto, since he's great friends with the writer, Shoji Gatou. Takemoto had to get Hatta to build a committee including both TBS/Kadokawa to fund it (due to Kadokawa's own goals), so that's why it's different.

The goal of the Chuunibyou/Tamako/Free/Kyoukai shows was to appeal to many different groups so that the failure of one wouldn't be a financial disaster pending the other performances. That's why the decisions have been so different in tone.

(Also, they do have a board consisting of Yoko Hatta, Yoshiji Kigami, Tatsuya Ishihara, Yasuhiro Takemoto, Shoko Ikeda, and Board Director Hideaki Hatta.)

madmac posted:

So fishing for their own profitable IP, more or less, rather then being paid to adapt established series. I can't fault the motive, but I can't say it's been working out very well for them either.

This has been more profitable for them than people think. In addition to owning part of the IP, they also get the giant chunk of money from any BD due to planning the materials on them. (Generally, even if a studio owns the IP, the video distributor will take that chunk (or else the TV station funding it)). While it may not appeal to you personally, these shows have been popular enough to be successful for them. Even the least popular, Tamako, had a successful run in theatres.

ultimatemegax fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 3, 2014

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

ultimatemegax posted:

This has been more profitable for them than people think. In addition to owning part of the IP, they also get the giant chunk of money from any BD due to planning the materials on them. (Generally, even if a studio owns the IP, the video distributor will take that chunk (or else the TV station funding it)). While it may not appeal to you personally, these shows have been popular enough to be successful for them. Even the least popular, Tamako, had a successful run in theatres.

I mean don't get me wrong, doing whatever you want is pretty much the dream for a creative organization, so more power to them for that, especially it it's paying the bills.

A lot of their recent output has just been subpar though, not even a matter of taste (Like Free) but stuff like Chuun 2 and Beyond the Boundry were just bad bad.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

madmac posted:

I mean don't get me wrong, doing whatever you want is pretty much the dream for a creative organization, so more power to them for that, especially it it's paying the bills.

A lot of their recent output has just been subpar though, not even a matter of taste (Like Free) but stuff like Chuun 2 and Beyond the Boundry were just bad bad.
I'll give you Chu2koi Ren since it's the only work they've produced that I've ever dropped, but I found Boundary to be good outside the leads. It had some issues, but I've seen much worse from other productions. Free! ES has been a very solid production both in story/artwork so I'm inclined to say it's Jukki Hanada (series composer for both Chuunibyou and Boundary) that's more at fault than anyone else.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
They seem to be pulling back on the whole only producing shows based on stuff they own themselves thing, as Amagi Brilliant Park was published by Kadokawa.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

madmac posted:

I think Nichijou was the last thing they did I really liked, though there's a few shows in there I skipped completely. Hope is eternal, I suppose.

Talking of Nichijou, why is it gone from crunchyroll? I watched the whole thing there before.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Theres also a Terra Formars OVA thats a prequel of sorts.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

StandardVC10 posted:

Talking of Nichijou, why is it gone from crunchyroll? I watched the whole thing there before.

They lost the rights to a whole pile of shows just recently.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-864201/marathon-time

Combination of license rescues from other companies and just expired agreements, I'm guessing.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The wait for this season has been too long, considering Parasyte was announced last year.

Can't Air Soon Enough: Parasyte, G-Reco, GBF Try, Mushi-shi
Definitely Watching: Log Horizon, Chaika, Yowapeda, Merman Bathtub, April is Your Lie, Nanatsu no Taizai
Interested in: Garo, Bahamut, Magic Kaito, Cloudy Laugh, Electric District Bookstore, Inou Battle, Yuki Yuna
Obligatory shonen garbage: Terraformars

Terraformars will live or die depending on how well it's animated, that's the only real appeal I can see in a Gantz/Attack on Titan-alike.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

madmac posted:

Yeah, and I liked that one stretch of episodes in Hyouka during the culture festival but it's been 3+ years then of mediocre to lame, even though of all of the stuff they just do looks so stellar. I'm looking forward to next time I can enjoy one of their shows again.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Pity that cross ange is actually a vehicle for titties, titties and more titties. Just from the description it seemed potentially interesting. I guess the eternal anime hipster Dick Spacious CPA was actually helpful for once, so thanks I guess?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
He's a CPA, of course he's helpful!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i'm an eternal anime hipster, let me tell you about how serial experiments lain was the last good anime, ever

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
it was also the first good anime, as well

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
haibane renmei was better

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Geez guys, "Revolutionary Girl Utena" is not that hard to spell!

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
k-on was the first good anime

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Triggerhappypilot posted:

So is Amagi Brilliant Park going to be Roller Coaster Tycoon: The Anime, or will it be a bunch of harem/magic/assorted anime bullshit and there is also a park in the background>

Come on, Tomino, this may be your last shot to kill all the characters we care about in the last 5 episodes. Go out with a bang, you crazy dreamer.
For what it's worth, FMP fans will see a familiar face in Amagi

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Man, without Jojo's I just realised how not-hyped for the Fall season I am. At least Log Horizon'll be back to hopefully be decent again. At least until it hits what I can only presume is going to be an obligatory filler ending because I don't think there's enough LN content to last a full second season.

Second shot at a Kaito Kid adaptation hits my DC fan and catches my interest though. And, uh, Search For Lost Future as a "maybe." If only to see what an anime based on a manga based on a French VN would be like.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

And, uh, Search For Lost Future as a "maybe." If only to see what an anime based on a manga based on a French VN would be like.

Looks like it has The Devil is a Part-Timer's director. I have no idea if that would have any bearing on its quality.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

Looks like it has The Devil is a Part-Timer's director. I have no idea if that would have any bearing on its quality.

If it leads to more Katsu-DOOM, then it'll be amazing :swoon:

Rogue Lemon
Nov 15, 2012
Holy poo poo. I don't immediately see anything pandering to the pedophile OR sister-loving demographics. Are the people of Japan rioting in the streets yet?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Rogue Lemon posted:

Holy poo poo. I don't immediately see anything pandering to the pedophile OR sister-loving demographics. Are the people of Japan rioting in the streets yet?

http://www.ai-tenchi.jp

http://yuyuyu.tv

http://www.daito-anime.com

No sisters yet, but they have their pandering anime.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

madmac posted:

They lost the rights to a whole pile of shows just recently.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-864201/marathon-time

Combination of license rescues from other companies and just expired agreements, I'm guessing.

Aw man I was actually planning on watching Haruhi S2 at some point. That Eternal Eight stuff really put me off.

My anime knowledge basically ends in 2009 yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Dehry posted:

http://www.ai-tenchi.jp

http://yuyuyu.tv

http://www.daito-anime.com

No sisters yet, but they have their pandering anime.

It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure Tenchi is just one big old pile of incest and creepy mom lust.

Still, it's a fair point that there doesn't seem to be any obvious "My 10 year old sister can't be this hot" titles this time around.

madmac fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 4, 2014

• Locked thread