Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I'm willing to excuse the bizarre sexual poo poo as just being Japan's Peculiar Institution. That doesn't mean I'll watch it though, I just won't think ill of the creators

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

When does jojo come back

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

I'm willing to excuse the bizarre sexual poo poo as just being Japan's Peculiar Institution. That doesn't mean I'll watch it though, I just won't think ill of the creators

teach me more about japan, forums poster icantfindaname

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cake Attack posted:

teach me more about japan, forums poster icantfindaname

Well first of all it's the only country in the world that sexualizes teenagers. No one else thinks about that kind of sick crap, or celebrates it in every visual form of media available. No one.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

icantfindaname posted:

I just won't think ill of the creators

I will

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

*looks at thing with an incredibly niche audience*

Yes, this must be a statement on Japan as a whole.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

i mean, i guess, but at the same time you could ask why this stuff is apparently nowhere to be seen in the US, and why even things approaching mainstream in japan also have varying levels of bizarre sexual poo poo.

i think japan might possibly be described as more tolerant to bizarre sexual poo poo than the US to a greater or lesser degree. maybe. i've never been there and the japanese people i know don't live there and don't talk about anime. well that's my point anyways

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Phobophilia posted:

I find Katanagatari the most enjoyable because it actually has some meat to its shaggy dog story.
I keep forgetting that Katanagatari is by the same author as the other ones, because Katanagatari owns and I didn't even bother finishing Bakemonogatari.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

icantfindaname posted:

i mean, i guess, but at the same time you could ask why this stuff is apparently nowhere to be seen in the US, and why even things approaching mainstream in japan also have varying levels of bizarre sexual poo poo.
Not to excuse Japan in any way, but, uh, are you aware of child beauty pageants?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Mordja posted:

Not to excuse Japan in any way, but, uh, are you aware of child beauty pageants?

i wish i wasn't

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Please remember that most people in Japan aren't aware of this poo poo, and if they do they think Otaku are weirder than we do.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

i think japan might possibly be described as more tolerant to bizarre sexual poo poo than the US to a greater or lesser degree. maybe. i've never been there and the japanese people i know don't live there and don't talk about anime. well that's my point anyways

There are messed up fanservicey comics made by Americans as well.

Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If there is a difference between Japan and America on this subject, it's that Japan is more willing to ignore it and not make it their problem. I think we could all take a lesson from Japan.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Regarding all of this hate the forum seems to have for one of my favorite shows: Even if you hate the show, you've got to admit that episode 12 was one of the most beautifully crafted episodes in fictional history.

I DARE any anime to try and top that scene!!

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

When does jojo come back
It shall return around the first week of next month!

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 10, 2014

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Regarding all of this hate the forum seems to have for one of my favorite shows: Even if you hate the show, you've got to admit that episode 12 was one of the most beautifully crafted episodes in fictional history.

I DARE any anime to try and top that scene!!

It was p.good but wouldn't get anywhere near a theoretical list of my favorite anime scenes to be honest.
It did however make for a nice series ending so I wisely didn't watch any of the next arc that was released way later, or the sequels.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Apparently Crunchyroll has secretly added a "launch calendar" page: http://www.crunchyroll.com/launchcalendar

Really just a page of what episodes become available when. It looks like an okay overview of what they're currently showing. (Plan your anime watching in full detail!)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

When does jojo come back

Jojo is never coming back. We have not proven ourselves worthy.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Idea for next adtrw simulwatch: Stanley Kubrick's Lolita

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

The Devil Tesla posted:

Please remember that most people in Japan aren't aware of this poo poo, and if they do they think Otaku are weirder than we do.

Yes, all of teenage Japan is unaware of that.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Someone posted in another thread that some Japanese middle schools was literally using Sword Art Online as an example of popular literature

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Light novels are basically YA fiction anyway, so yeah. I can see that.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

Someone posted in another thread that some Japanese middle schools was literally using Sword Art Online as an example of popular literature

Not any different from American middle schools using Twilight or Hunger Games, really.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

Light novels are basically YA fiction anyway, so yeah. I can see that.

Unless it's called Durarara.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Unless it's called Durarara.

Fate/zero would probably be a better example (and even that would be arguable).

aers
Feb 15, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

Its sold millions of copies and is a written work I'm not sure what definition of popular literature you have a problem with here

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Durarara is really good and everyone should talk about it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

aers posted:

Its sold millions of copies and is a written work I'm not sure what definition of popular literature you have a problem with here

i think it was meant as a counter argument to someone saying that anime stuff is all niche, im guessing

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
This thread sure is poo poo. But so is the current season of anime, Fall 2014.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Parasyte and Shirobako are good, as is Cross Ange.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Re-open the Cross Ange thread. And the sexy boat thread that got closed too I think.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
RIP sexy boats.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cool thread you losers have here

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

nielsm posted:

Apparently Crunchyroll has secretly added a "launch calendar" page: http://www.crunchyroll.com/launchcalendar

Really just a page of what episodes become available when. It looks like an okay overview of what they're currently showing. (Plan your anime watching in full detail!)
Why is everything listed twice

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

K. Flaps posted:

Re-open the Cross Ange thread. And the sexy boat thread that got closed too I think.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Why is everything listed twice

The yellow ones are the new episodes for premium members and the blue ones are last week's episodes that are available to everyone now.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
the words 'sexy boat thread' have been said and I am completely baffled

someone give me a link so i may understand these words.

or is it indeed like the cross ange thread where the op made a good post and the rest of it was poo poo

also WHY DO THE WORDS 'CROSS ANGE' KEEP COMING UP I THOUGHT WE WERE GOING TO IGNORE IT

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

They are referring to Kantai Collection or Kancolle. It's a popular game with anthropomorphized warships.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

this is the one that just got gassed, i don't have a link to the first thread but it lasted about as long

E: the fact that it was posted on dec 7 alone justifies its existence though

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Gils posted:

this is the one that just got gassed, i don't have a link to the first thread but it lasted about as long

E: the fact that it was posted on dec 7 alone justifies its existence though

The warcrimes post is absolutely my favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I'm getting kind of tired of the way everyone seems to be copying Dick Spacious CPA's gimmick lately. The joke got stale a long time ago.

• Locked thread