Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ex24YXlj64

Pokemon was pretty good back in the day but for the past few iterations I've felt like I've already put my time in and don't want to level a team of pokemon again just to do the same thing I've done before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Unguided posted:

Pokemon was pretty good back in the day but for the past few iterations I've felt like I've already put my time in and don't want to level a team of pokemon again just to do the same thing I've done before.

yeah they should do a materia system with tms that level up and just have the pokemon add synergies and special properties without gaining experience directly.

That way you can swap pokemon whenever you want and still use good moves.

idk. most of my ideas are poo poo.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I like Pokemon.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Pocket Monsters, as it's called in Japan.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
i've got the pokemon blues

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
from my red and white cap to the bottom of my rollerblade shoes

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Unguided posted:

I can understand this, especially if you don't care for either doing more serious battles outside of the main story, or if you don't like going through the game with different Pokemon. I'm excited for the 3rd gen remakes because there will be a lot of content that isn't standard breeding and battling (contests and secret bases)

You can always just do challenge modes like Nuzlockes or whatever, but if you don't like playing the game itself then there's not much that can fix that.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah they should do a materia system with tms that level up and just have the pokemon add synergies and special properties without gaining experience directly.

That way you can swap pokemon whenever you want and still use good moves.

idk. most of my ideas are poo poo.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) something like this will never happen because then they probably wouldn't be able to do backwards compatibility with the old games so you couldn't hang on to your old pokemon. Also that idea makes no sense and is retarded.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I haven't played a Pokemon game since silver

how many of the fuckers are they up to now?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

Off the top of my head, somewhere around 700.

Edit: 721.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

this piece of poo poo right here is the final one so far:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Diancie_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Pokemon is good and fun

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

over the past year or two i've come to the realization that the only reason i like pokemon is because of the pokemon themselves. i hate the core gameplay because i hate turn based rpgs that aren't paper mario. they are boring and not fun. but i love monster raising simulators and seeing my creatures become stronger visually through evolution is especially a huge plus for me. pokemon-amie was a fantastic addition to the series in my opinion, and i hope they continue to flesh it out over the next few games.

i wish they would would change pokemon battles to be something more action-oriented instead of turn-based, but i know that will never happen, for the main series at least, because it is way too successful.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

in theory, pokemon battles are like chess but where some pieces do twice as much damage to other pieces, and sometimes pieces will randomly be able to kill your bishop or whatever that they had no business killing. an epic battle of the minds, and chance...

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Widestancer posted:

Pokemon is good and fun

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Widestancer posted:

Pokemon is good and fun

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
quote this if you still have the cartoon's original theme song memorized for some loving reason

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

The Sharmat posted:

quote this if you still have the cartoon's original theme song memorized for some loving reason

I wanna be the very best, motherfucker

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
pokemon is okay. im just not interested in the gattaca aspect of the game

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

Yo

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
pokemon's still good but man they need better matchmaking

Why yes I will take my team that just beat the elite four for the first time and fight some tricked out lvl99+ dude from japan.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
i collected every permutation of missingno that generated in my game, including one that started at lvl 126 and had one of those two-turn windup attacks that would one shot anything and everything but it had poo poo for defense so it was like the ultimate glass cannon that could also possibly pull the whole game into an annihilating vortex of corruption

somehow the only other glitches that manifested for me were weird ui sprite swaps though

i was the missingno master

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

The Sharmat posted:

Your summons has worked

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Axel Serenity posted:

pokemon's still good but man they need better matchmaking

Why yes I will take my team that just beat the elite four for the first time and fight some tricked out lvl99+ dude from japan.

The in-cart random online matches loving suck because their either not 6v6 singles, or allow just random stuff like mewtwo

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
I would like it if they removed hidden stats and the 8 gyms elite 4 thing.

And crank the difficulty up a bit.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

i have much more than just the first season theme memorized, my friend

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Lets not talk about the unholy abomination that is the anime, please

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
The first season was okay

Everything else, however

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i never got into pokemon

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

sharrrk posted:

i have much more than just the first season theme memorized, my friend

It's a whole new world we live in, motherfucker

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah well I've never played a single pokemon game even for a single nanosecond, except once when Best Buy had a demo unit N64 out running, I think, Pokemon Stadium? It was locked up though and there was just a dark smoke cloud pokemon with mean eyes floating in the arena so I picked up the controller and mashed all the buttons and nothing happened. Voted five, bigtime shoutouts to Snorlax, peace.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Ralp posted:

Yeah well I've never played a single pokemon game even for a single nanosecond, except once when Best Buy had a demo unit N64 out running, I think, Pokemon Stadium? It was locked up though and there was just a dark smoke cloud pokemon with mean eyes floating in the arena so I picked up the controller and mashed all the buttons and nothing happened. Voted five, bigtime shoutouts to Snorlax, peace.

And you call yourself a gamer?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
tbf stadium is the best pokemon game, behind hey you pikachu and pokemon snap

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
Shame there hasn't been a good pokemon game on a console since the n64. Pokemon conquest was my fave non rpg handheld pokemon game btdubs

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

qnqnx posted:

Lets not talk about the unholy abomination that is the anime, please

I still think Team Rocket is funny.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Ralp posted:

:bravo: 2 u for actively avoiding one of the most beloved and globally recognizable videogame franchises ever, you dumb dork.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

mabels big day posted:

I still think Team Rocket is funny.

i thought they were both girls for a really long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
what gets me is how dang difficult it is to get some of the pokemon. like, if you wanna go through the game and catch your party pokmeon yourself then cool, but if you want this REALLY COOL bat dragon thing then your gonna have to wait until the end of the game bitch.

there is trading though, which mitigates this some I guess.

• Locked thread