Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

mabels big day posted:

i hope pokemon contests in the new game becomes the new standard of competition between pocket monsters.

you're a goddamn monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

sword_man.gif posted:

the only people that even give a huge poo poo about them also dont' even play the games and just use a fukkin sim program so that everything has max hidden stats and also has in it's "legal moveset" a move that only appeared once in a promotion in 3rd gen in a toys r us in new mexico at 9pm on thursday

basically if someone cares about teh hidden stats then that's not a person worth knowing

don't people win tournaments with "bad" pokemon all the time?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

SeXReX posted:

the first time I played pokemon red I skipped the booklet (of course) and just went to figure it out on my own. I tried to catch the little flowers in town thinking they were bellsprouts.

This is a good decision though because the manual is full of lies like implying that you should save the master ball for a "rare pokemon" like zubat.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Slur posted:

Don't forget to run around in circles for 30139013059 minutes to get the perfect Pokemon! If it doesn't have perfect hidden stats across the board, then it's worthless!

420 grind zubats for speed evs everyday

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Saw a Raticate card abandoned in a parking lot the other day. Left it alone because I don't play the CCG and it wasn't something good like a foil Charizard.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Unguided posted:

Saw a Raticate card abandoned in a parking lot the other day. Left it alone because I don't play the CCG and it wasn't something good like a foil Charizard.

with that kind of mentality you're never going to catch 'em all, son

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

sword_man.gif posted:

basically if someone cares about teh hidden stats then that's not a person worth knowing

It's the gateway drug for stuff like loot grinding in MMOs and I don't really think it's a big deal. The only issue is that the game never lets you know the numbers exactly, so you need to look everything up online. It's like, deliberately there so that hardcore players can do the thing they want, without making little kids confused with all these strange numbers.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

qnqnx posted:

you're a goddamn monster

Contests take just as much thought as battles do. In fact there's less random elements so even more so its a better test of skill.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Mach2 posted:

It's the gateway drug for stuff like loot grinding in MMOs and I don't really think it's a big deal. The only issue is that the game never lets you know the numbers exactly, so you need to look everything up online. It's like, deliberately there so that hardcore players can do the thing they want, without making little kids confused with all these strange numbers.

phantasy star online taught me the "value" of grinding for loot way before pokemon started doing evs. a lavis cannon is cooler than a level 100 pokemon with ev-grinded stats anywho

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

lol if you dont skip the grind and just save edit in the pokemons you need

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I've never played past Gold/Silver since I ended up being a Dragon warrior monsters fanboy as a child. Are the newer ones even worth getting?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah they should do a materia system with tms that level up and just have the pokemon add synergies and special properties without gaining experience directly.

That way you can swap pokemon whenever you want and still use good moves.

idk. most of my ideas are poo poo.

no but you see you can't fix something that's not broken, pokemon has survived this long because of its awesome gameplay mechanics and not because spergs don't mind doing the same grind every iteration

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Pokemon survives because it's become a culture. Also the cartoon sells the games to kids.

I personally still wonder what level Ash's Pikachu is.
I believe he gets a new one each generation and has Oak using his older ones as breeding studs. This is how he affords travel expenses.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Nasgate posted:

Pokemon survives because it's become a culture. Also the cartoon sells the games to kids.

I believe he gets a new one each generation and has Oak using his older ones as breeding studs. This is how he affords travel expenses.

what travel expenses he forces his slaves(pokems) to transport him everywhere.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Nasgate posted:

level 88. mystery is ruined.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

SeXReX posted:

what travel expenses he forces his slaves(pokems) to transport him everywhere.

Food is a travel expense, as are hotels when in cities.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Nasgate posted:

Food is a travel expense, as are hotels when in cities.

What hotels I see these twelve year old kids standing in roughly the same spot twenty four hours a day.

They probably just crash in the lobby of pokemon centers.

I'm sure all the people who, on sight, battle him with no option to deny and then reward money cover the cost of food they don't forage.

Being a pokekid is like being a street kid except less heroin and more X-speed

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Pokemon is epic.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

if I could be in any video game I'd be a non Pokemon trainer. Imagine all those hot moms/wifes to cuck with their lovely kids off to god knows where

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Actually, didn't that happen for real in the anime with ash's mom?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

DrManiac posted:

if I could be in any video game I'd be a non Pokemon trainer. Imagine all those hot moms/wifes to cuck with their lovely kids off to god knows where

There is NEVER a father

(Again: Japan)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

JethroMcB posted:

There is NEVER a father

ahem, according to maury, there is ALWAYS a father somewhere

Soral
May 30, 2009

JethroMcB posted:

There is NEVER a father

in one of the pokemon games your dad is a gym leader. pretty hosed up.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Soral posted:

in one of the pokemon games your dad is a gym leader. pretty hosed up.

the salaryman of pretend fighting monsters. the 8 hours a day he's not in the gym are spent getting drunk with his coworkers and riding the train.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

JethroMcB posted:

the salaryman of pretend fighting monsters. the 8 hours a day he's not in the gym are spent getting drunk with his coworkers and riding the train.

Actually i'm pretty sure he's just a deadbeat who sends home a check every month for child wife support (since children are kicked out at 10 and forced to make their own way in the world fighting with powerful monsters like even a loving rattata can gently caress a dude up)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

DrManiac posted:

Actually, didn't that happen for real in the anime with ash's mom?

Oak is totally bangin her.

• Locked thread