Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Sombrerotron posted:

yeah i figured that out by now and lmao at having to go through all that just to get started on raiding

tbf though i've got gently caress all experience with mmo endgame content so maybe this isn't out of the ordinary, but still

wildstar has made the conscious decision to cater to the type of people who look at that picture and think it looks appealing. you will then have to find 39 other people to spend roughly 12 hours each week fighting the same 8 or so bosses in the hope of getting enough loot to enable you to go to the next raid. this is more or less exactly how WoW was designed 2005.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Sombrerotron posted:

so what happens when you finally finish doing all this crap

stop the masochism by killing yourself

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
You've got to throw your body upon the wheels, upon the gears, upon the levers and you've got to make it stop

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Extra posted:

I thought Onyxia's attunement was a PITA but drat son

What the gently caress do half of those actually teach you about how to not suck at raids anyway

well the getting silver medals or better in the vet adventures and dungeons require you to be pretty good at the game and just by earning the silver medals you will have geared up. i'm fine with those steps, and a few of the earlier steps are trivial enough (get 150 elder gems and beloved with your faction).

the rest of it is pretty much unrepentant busywork, though.

and the main problem with wildstar, as i said before, is that the content just isn't very interesting. it's challenging and everything, which is nice, but it's not really that fun to do even with friends because it's just pretty boring. the loot isn't bad or anything, no idea what taint reaper is going on about there or the "you lose your progress" thing, but i wouldn't recommend anyone play wildstar.

Grakdesh
Jul 21, 2005

High-functioning otaku.

Tujague posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

http://www.everjane.com/

quote:

Instead of dungeons, we will have dinner parties.

Holding out for an MMO that gives me both.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

read the title. all I gotta say is:

good.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Silver Striker posted:

no idea what taint reaper is going on about there or the "you lose your progress" thing, but i wouldn't recommend anyone play wildstar.

there was a bug where guild leaders who had completed the attunement chain would lose their attunement, carbine's response was to reroll

also at least twice during patches world boss kill progress has been reset

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

sword_man.gif posted:

there was a bug where guild leaders who had completed the attunement chain would lose their attunement, carbine's response was to reroll

also at least twice during patches world boss kill progress has been reset

that's absolutely amazing

carbine is such an awful company

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
there was a bug during raids where the server would crash (server crashes are common probably because they're running on city of heroes ancient-rear end hardware) and it would reset the raid's progress for the night

not sure if you got loot from killing the first boss over again but knowing carbine probably not

and that 75-minute silver clear is "fine" (an hour and fifteen minutes being a speed clear of a dungeon, what) until one of the server crashes happen when you're 60 minutes in. lol start over.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

but hardcore raiders love eating poo poo so this should enhance the experience :confused:

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
also if you want to get past technical problems the game can't decide if it wants to entertain 8 year old kids or adults so you get a mixture of CoMpLeTlEy WaCkY aNd RaNdOm LoL poo poo like the entirety of the chua and then it mixes in swear words, so overall you get a game that's trying way too loving hard to be wacky and funny and just falls flat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSWnp8BPCy4

"double kill" is part of the default ui as well

also calling the player "cupcake" at every turn because, lmao, cupcake, hehehehehehehehehehehehehe

also the questing is the same boring crap you've done in every wow clone to date: kill 100 thingys and collect 50 thingers, except they explicitly punish grouping by making the thingers not shared loot and if you're in a group it's kill more than 100 thingys because you get less progress per kill in a group

sword_man.gif fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 4, 2014

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Silver Striker posted:

carbine is such an awful company

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

i want someone to realize that runescape did something right for once and utilize runescape's quest layout. instead of having 10,000 quests all the same collect 50 worm sphincters, there's only like 200 but they're full of puzzles, combat, and at least have a cool story.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

sword_man.gif posted:

also the questing is the same boring crap you've done in every wow clone to date: kill 100 thingys and collect 50 thingers, except they explicitly punish grouping by making the thingers not shared loot and if you're in a group it's kill more than 100 thingys because you get less progress per kill in a group

lmao

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

sword_man.gif posted:

there was a bug during raids where the server would crash (server crashes are common probably because they're running on city of heroes ancient-rear end hardware) and it would reset the raid's progress for the night

not sure if you got loot from killing the first boss over again but knowing carbine probably not

and that 75-minute silver clear is "fine" (an hour and fifteen minutes being a speed clear of a dungeon, what) until one of the server crashes happen when you're 60 minutes in. lol start over.

yeah that dungeon is loving awful i have no idea what they were thinking

otherwise it's incredible to me that the game was so much worse than i believed

sword_man.gif posted:

also if you want to get past technical problems the game can't decide if it wants to entertain 8 year old kids or adults so you get a mixture of CoMpLeTlEy WaCkY aNd RaNdOm LoL poo poo like the entirety of the chua and then it mixes in swear words, so overall you get a game that's trying way too loving hard to be wacky and funny and just falls flat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSWnp8BPCy4

"double kill" is part of the default ui as well

also calling the player "cupcake" at every turn because, lmao, cupcake, hehehehehehehehehehehehehe

that was really what i was trying to get at. the game is very dry - pretty much everything you do is traditional mmo busywork - but they tried to add personality in these weird ways like the announcer guy (i turned off all sound basically immediately so i never heard him but i watched a youtube video with all the level ups cut together and its really bad), the chua, the art style (which at times works and is cool and cartoony but usually ends up being more like the picture mr. pumroy posted), and other various awful """humor""" things. i really think the combat was pretty cool though and it deserves to be in a much better game.

theres also a main story that is about you fighting something called The Strain (basically the zerg) which is ruled by something called The Entity. at least i think thats it, it was so loving boring i barely remember.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
honestly wildstar really looks like a game that was pushed out to claim a ton of money off box sales from the nostalgia wow idiots and then just not be sustained because completely gamebreaking bugs in ptr just get pushed to live without a fix (such as a stun that's supposed to be a cone instead being an aoe, something about a cooldown that i don't know enough about the game to go into) and the promise of monthly content updates (already reigned back in on) combined with a tiny production team of apparently 20 people

basically if you bought wildstar, you're a s-u-c-k-e-r

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
the chua are the absolute worst thing about wildstar imo and of course the mmo homo thread ate them up as the Well, I know why I'm buying the game :colbert: because holy loving poo poo, this tiny animal man is a violent psychopath and says "For Science"! you certainly turned that expectation on it's head wildstar devs, l to the motherfucking mao!

it has been really funny to watch though

quote:

spend roughly 12 hours each week

it's more than that, according to wildstar players will defend raiding five nights a week as perfectly normal

sword_man.gif fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 4, 2014

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

fyi the wildstar thread is a pretty good place to see goons explode at each other about how they predicted the death of the game or everyone is just being very negative and should say nice things. right now people are kind of resigned but i went back some pages and it's a good chuckle. i derive pleasure from people watching a game they care about shrivel up and die, i guess

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

sword_man.gif posted:

the chua are the absolute worst thing about wildstar imo and of course the mmo homo thread ate them up as the Well, I know why I'm buying the game :colbert: because holy loving poo poo, this tiny animal man is a violent psychopath and says "For Science"! you certainly turned that expectation on it's head wildstar devs, l to the motherfucking mao!

i have incredible tolerance for that kind of thing and the chua wore out their welcome for me in approximately a few minutes. theyre the most one note thing ever and while i think they look alright i have no idea why goons latched onto them so much

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
because as much as goons claim to hate reddit 4chan and memes they love them just as much if not more than those websites do

quote:

the wildstar thread

the wildstar thread has been a good source of laffs since the game came out

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Mr. Pumroy posted:

fyi the wildstar thread is a pretty good place to see goons explode at each other about how they predicted the death of the game or everyone is just being very negative and should say nice things. right now people are kind of resigned but i went back some pages and it's a good chuckle. i derive pleasure from people watching a game they care about shrivel up and die, i guess
It's strangely satisfying to watch anyone who buys into hype flail all over and desperately try to make other people excited about a dying game. It happened, for example, in the Titanfall and TESO (lol) threads as well.

edit loving lol @

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

it still loving floors me that there was ever a teso thread

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

the secret world was fun and i liked the puzzles + modern setting

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Foxhound posted:

It's strangely satisfying to watch anyone who buys into hype flail all over and desperately try to make other people excited about a dying game.

if blizzard wants me to start defending their dumb design decisions in wow they need to start writing me a paycheck

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Budget Cop posted:

i tried it since some friends told me the puzzle's were good. they were, so i thought i could play it like a single-player game, but i thought the fun parts were spread thin compared to the combat grind so i stopped. a year later i realize they had been billing me the whole time. i guess the lesson is that i am dumb and so are mmos

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

secret world is free to play now so it's cool to check out when it goes on steam sale. i like the premise and stuff, but i don't like how the first leveling zone is a zombie/new england coastal town setting. one because zombies and two because i misspent my childhood on stephen king books and i kind of feel like i don't need to go back to see some video gameist's retelling of that setting.

still the writing is nice, but yeah the combat is real repetitive but that's a common mmo complaint. i think mmos should have more cool things, and less repetitive things.

Dec 26, 2012

Budget Cop posted:

i liked everything about the secret world except playing the actual game

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Mr. Pumroy posted:

secret world is free to play now so it's cool to check out when it goes on steam sale. i like the premise and stuff, but i don't like how the first leveling zone is a zombie/new england coastal town setting. one because zombies and two because i misspent my childhood on stephen king books and i kind of feel like i don't need to go back to see some video gameist's retelling of that setting.

still the writing is nice, but yeah the combat is real repetitive but that's a common mmo complaint. i think mmos should have more cool things, and less repetitive things.

as a horrible armchair game developer i believe that the repetitive poo poo is necessary since creative content such as puzzles are non-repeatable and require more effort, and mmos require tons of content to keep players playing. so i think fundamental flaw in mmos are due to them being mmos with PvE focus. as a single player game i think the secret world could be really cool

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

pahahaha

also lol @

quote:

the crafting in guild wars 2 and everquest 2 was actually kinda interesting

no it wasn't, it was literally grinding and then navigating a menu. the only game that's done crafting well is bg2, because it's basically a side-quest. during the course of your adventures you find a bits and pieces of legendary artifacts, you take it to some fat dwarf because you're an adventurer who (rightly) knows gently caress-all about making stuff, and you get a sweet bow that shoots lightning bolts

VVV OK morrowind gets a pass but only because i can eat huge jagged shards of raw glass

Buck Turgidson fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 4, 2014

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

alchemy in morrowind was kind of a good direction since you find alchemical ingredients and combine them for other effects or a more potent singular effect.

but since every herb basically said everything about it like the loving Tribunal had slaves go and label every loving plant on vvardenfell, it ruined the illusion of crafting. should've been that you found local pothers and learned about cool local herbs and maybe secret/rare herbs and then used them.

Dec 26, 2012

Azraelle posted:

as a single player game i think the secret world could be really cool

yeah this is all i could think playing it, if this were the successor to bloodlines or something it oculd be dope as poo poo

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

im just glad MMOs continue their proud tradition of poo poo gameplay throughout the years

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Buck Turgidson posted:

pahahaha

also lol @

no it wasn't, it was literally grinding and then navigating a menu. the only game that's done crafting well is bg2, because it's basically a side-quest. during the course of your adventures you find a bits and pieces of legendary artifacts, you take it to some fat dwarf because you're an adventurer who (rightly) knows gently caress-all about making stuff, and you get a sweet bow that shoots lightning bolts

VVV OK morrowind gets a pass but only because i can eat huge jagged shards of raw glass

To be somewhat fair to GW2, its crafting had some potential with the whole discovery thing. They just didn't use that potential at all and instead made it a tedious extra step in a menu because they launched with an unfinished game. And it's still pretty much unfinished and rather than do something interesting with those systems they've more or less said gently caress it, put everything in the cash shop.

Basically MMOs are a garbage genre.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

matrix ripoff posted:

can anyone figure out why ffxi and ffxiv and wow are still drawing dinero?

FFXIV has a pretty pleasant leveling experience your first class, painless leveling of your alt classes, endgame content geared both towards people who want a challenge that will kill them at the tiniest mistake, content geared towards uber-spergs who enjoy grinding for dozens of hours for a bragging rights sword, and content geared toward people who just wanna kill some neat bosses and get their loot. All of this content is almost completely painless to get into, only requiring you do some braindead easy story quests. There's even some new puzzle-type quests that have you solve riddles for people who liked Runescape quests (people who are right)

This is before even going into how the world and story has at least a modicum of care put into it for people who care about that sort of thing, it's the best pretty princess dress up simulator on the market, and the new content they put out actually gets better every patch. It's actually fun to resub for a new patch and kill some neato new bosses to some rad new music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCcbKY7d0dc

Pomp fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 4, 2014

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
i enjoyed my time with ff14 but i had absolutely no compulsion to resub after the first month. i already had a billion other games to play. if there's a game that i actually, really want to fail enough to go f2p, it'd be that one

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Axel Serenity posted:

archeage was pretty fun in beta.

Also lol if you claim you're not buying Warlords of Draenor you lying bastards

e: none of that has anything to do with wildstar but I bring only truths

I'm not buying it because WoW is bad, actually.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

ff14 is actually pretty good for an MMO. they do a good job worldbuilding and there's always a good amount of stuff to do. i haven't really played much recently but they do a good job of keeping to a 3 month content release cycle so new content comes out at a good pace. i just got tired of it because i played it a ton for a while. i still log in everyone now and then to check on all my friends who are still playing and it's a very pleasant experience.

i've talked to a decent number of people who seem to be convinced that the game should be free to play with a ton of pay 2 play dlc but that would be an awful idea that would fracture to the community and really destroy a lot of what makes the game great.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
why anyone would ever pay a monthly fee for an mmo when theres guildwars2 which is actually decent, gets updated regularly and doesnt cost you a dime after buying the game i will never underrstand

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Das Butterbrot posted:

why anyone would ever pay a monthly fee for an mmo when theres guildwars2 which is actually decent, gets updated regularly and doesnt cost you a dime after buying the game i will never underrstand

your premise fails in that guild wars 2 is not actually decent and living story is really bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
RE:FF11 - It has exactly 3 things going for it these days.

It's the last of the ubersperg grinding games to not only still be up and running, but still getting content. They've got the market locked down by default.

It's got atmosphere, and a sense of being lived in world and not just a loose collection of leveling and raiding zones.

It's got some really creative class designs, that you aren't going to find in other games, let alone other MMOs. There's one support class that revolves around playing blackjack with your buffs, for example.

It's definitely still an old, lovely game, but it was good enough for its time that it continues to draw back in old players and chug along. I hold that FFXI would be legitimately really good game if it wasn't a ancient, lovely MMO.

• Locked thread