Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
The spork is an ingenious invention, its a spoon and fork essentially replacing two pieces of silveware with one multifunctional tool. There is literally no argument to why you shouldn't be using a spork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I prefer using Fpoons. They are superior to the Spork In every way.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I prefer to use a knifoon.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
The Knork!

Jetrock
Jul 26, 2005

This is the tower of murder... it's where I hang out!
I generally call a slotted spoon a "foon" since, really, it's just an anti-spork: tines in the middle, spoony on the front. Worst of both worlds for a consumption implement, but just right for fishing bits out of boiling water.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I'd actually like to try one of these.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It's a bullshit spoon that you can't eat soup with or stab meat properly.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

chaos rhames posted:

It's a bullshit spoon that you can't eat soup with or stab meat properly.

This is it. A spork is a good idea on paper. But it makes a lovely spoon and a lovely fork.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's useful for Panda Express or the KFC bowls.

ChuckHead
Jun 24, 2004

2000 years Assholes.

Mu Zeta posted:

It's useful for Panda Express or the KFC bowls.

Is it useful on food?

E: Actually that is two good reasons to hate the spork.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
the spork's fatal flaw i that it is not deep enough to be useful as a spoon, so you are really just getting an awkwardly shaped subpar fork.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
what if you made the spork's spoon bit deeper and made the fork tongs on the end of it better?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Moridin920 posted:

what if you made the spork's spoon bit deeper and made the fork tongs on the end of it better?

Then it wouldn't fit in your mouth.

Just get a spoon and a knife.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
What about a knife plus a spoon? Like if you put a razor sharp edge on a spoon, it would be perfect!

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

anakha posted:

I'd actually like to try one of these.

The fork part seems redundant with the chopstick part. However, if each chopstick had half of a spoon that came together to make one whole spoon? Now we're in business.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

What about a knife plus a spoon? Like if you put a razor sharp edge on a spoon, it would be perfect!

A grapefruit spoon is close to this.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

panzertape
Nov 5, 2014
Also there isnt a lot of meals you need to have a spoon and a fork. Except Spaghetti which means you still need two fpoons.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Sporks are the perfect tool for eating macaroni salad.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

contrapants posted:

A grapefruit spoon is close to this.

I'm trying to think of other utensils that are specifically made for one food item and I can't think of any. I want a spaghetti fork, dammit.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm trying to think of other utensils that are specifically made for one food item and I can't think of any. I want a spaghetti fork, dammit.

Escargot plate, tongs and fork
4 different knives for different cheeses
Caviar spoons

I've seen some other weird one-job utensils I can't recall off the top of my head

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Cake servers are pretty useless outside of light masonry work.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Most of those things are service utensils, not eating utensils.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
^^^
Oh, trongs then.

Steve Yun posted:

Caviar spoons

I've seen some other weird one-job utensils I can't recall off the top of my head

Nutcracker.
Olive fork.
Ortolan tongs.
Oyster server.
Marrow scoop.
Sardine fork.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Okay, someone explain this to me, it's a genuine mystery.

There are these things called a french sauce spoon. They're flatter and have a thin edge so you can scoop up sauce from your plate. Makes sense, even if it's finicky.

But I can't figure out why the gently caress they have a notch.

The best guess i can find online is so that you can drain fat off the top of a spoonful of sauce, but that sounds insane.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Tiny cocktail forks. Why are you so small?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Because 's not kosher.
's pork.

:downsrim:

PS.
Crab forks.
And why the gently caress is there a salad fork. Did someone really look at a regular fork and think, "I can eat most things with this just fine. But salad? No, salad would be so much easier to eat if this were 10% smaller."

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

The ear spoon, used by (if not actually invented by) the Romans. Yum!

http://metmuseum.org/collection/the-collection-online/search/251903?rndkey=20130129&ft=*&where=Roman+Empire&what=Spoons%7CMiniature

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Steve Yun posted:

There are these things called a french sauce spoon. They're flatter and have a thin edge so you can scoop up sauce from your plate. Makes sense, even if it's finicky.

The best guess i can find online is so that you can drain fat off the top of a spoonful of sauce, but that sounds insane.

I think I've seen Jacque Pepin use this on one of his shows. it's for tasting soups/sauces in a sanitary fashion without needing a new spoon every time. Scoop normally, and then tilt back so you drink from the handle. Or I totally made this up, but I'm pretty sure it's the truth.

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line
The only sporks I've ever used have been the lovely little folding plastic things you get in pasta salad and fruit bowls. They either break, don't fold properly, or worse don't fork as well as they spoon. If there were full size versions with slightly better forking ability, then that'd be swell. But as of yet I've not had the pleasure of such a culinary experience.

Spoon Man
Mar 15, 2003

The spork is the perfect tool to make your granita and eat it too. It's also the best way to eat rock-hard Italian ice using the same concept.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Steve Yun posted:

Caviar spoons

Oyster knife.

Butter knife.

Ice cream scoop?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Grapefruit spoons and absinthe spoons. Honestly, you could combine the two into one device, save us all a lot of drawer space.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I'm sorry, but good grapefruit spoons are indispensable. The ones that are pointed and toothed, not the pudgy round bastards. Don't eat soup with them though.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I don't know why but I especially like using my spork to eat pad thai. A friend bought me a titanium one and I've never looked back.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Suspect Bucket posted:

I'm sorry, but good grapefruit spoons are indispensable. The ones that are pointed and toothed, not the pudgy round bastards. Don't eat soup with them though.

I eat grapefruits the same way I eat any other citrus: one painstakingly peeled wedge at a time. I also peel my grapes before eating them. I might have a problem.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Who the gently caress peels grapes?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
My servants.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Doh004 posted:

Who the gently caress peels grapes?

I don't like the skin. I've always eaten grapes this way.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:
There is a good use for a spork.

Barbecue.

It doesn't have to be a good fork because you just need something to help flake meat off the bone. It doesn't have to be a great spoon because you should be dabbing up runny liquids with bread. If you need a knife, it's not barbecue.

Steve Yun posted:

Wikipedia says you're correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp

"I'll fix your bike after I finish these beans"

Rapman the Cook fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jan 2, 2015

• Locked thread