Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
Obama blamed them for it and said there was evidence.

EDIT: I reread his statements. He said there was evidence it came from rebel controlled territory and blamed the seperatists, who were being armed by the Russians. I guess that's not quite the same as saying Russia did it.

Flocons de Jambon fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Feb 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Flocons de Jambon posted:

Obama blamed them for it and said there was evidence.

EDIT: I reread his statements. He said there was evidence it came from rebel controlled territory and blamed the seperatists, who were being armed by the Russians. I guess that's not quite the same as saying Russia did it.

Obama thinks that he can hold that out on Putin to get concessions from him over... Something. I don't know, Obama is a bit of an idiot when it comes to realpolitiks.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Friendly Humour posted:

Obama thinks that he can hold that out on Putin to get concessions from him over... Something. I don't know, Obama is a bit of an idiot when it comes to realpolitiks.

In the end Russia can deny it no matter how much evidence is brought up. Russian civil society isn't free or robust enough to hold their government accountable and there aren't any international institutions that can do it either. Obama can blame Russia directly and constantly bring it up - but there wouldn't actually be anywhere to go with it. Assigning blame only works if people accept the concept of responsibility and there's civil institutions that can do something about it. If your goal was to antagonize Russia then that's a thing you could do but that's all it would do so it's not really constructive.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

The Russian social media propaganda/troll comment army/online psyops effort is really quite successful, isn't it? I marvel at how often I see people willing to swallow the Kremlin's story hook, line, and sinker because they're AMERIKKKA leftists or Obama-hating right wingers. It serves so many people's deranged purposes.
Pages like reddit, 9gag etc. still have that obsession with strong, badass Putin going despite the Ukrainian war that started in the meantime - he's a great example for all world leaders apparently so nothing here is new to me.

Also really people shouldn't focus on internet comments about the case. These communities are all dumb and there's no value in searching through them unless you're on a mission to find people you want to get mad about. It's more interesting to see Russian reactions to this honestly and also how actual governments/journalists/forces see it, the rest is white noise.

I appreciate your work Brown Moses.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's a case of "everyone knows they did it but there's no profit in acknowledging it".

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

I accidentally went on reddit and read the comments for Brown Moses's latest report. Hollllly poo poo. Not a single person actually had any criticism of the report, it was just pages and pages of "lol unemployed something awful moderator" "doesn't have needed credentials, didn't read lol." Out of hundreds of comments not a single one mentioned any of the content of the report, nothing attacked the evidence or methods. Just "not real journalist" over and over and over with the occasional dash of "paid nato propagandist"

I'd like to think all of them are paid trolls but I'm sure many of them were just convenient idiots.

Well, it's Reddit. Of course it's full of idiots. In fact, I would be surprised if they actually did something not idiotic.

Also, the German media likes your new report, Brown Moses.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Work is closed today due to the blizzard currently raging outside. I have time to work on a new thread. Suggestions to add to the OP and thread names?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Eastern Europe: You'll end up like Hitler

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Eastern Europe: In Nazi Russia, Threads Post You

e: On second thought, that sounds a bit too meme-happy. Fake Witnesses, Fake Missiles, Fake Victims?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Feb 25, 2016

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Libluini posted:

Well, it's Reddit. Of course it's full of idiots. In fact, I would be surprised if they actually did something not idiotic.

Also, the German media likes your new report, Brown Moses.

We had really good coverage in Germany and Holland plus loads of Russian language press.

https://twitter.com/bellingcat/status/702799695639416832

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

The way I see it, any country that produces the solid evidence Russian was responsible is basically going to poison diplomatic relations with Russia for years. How could the EU work with Russia while they still deny they killed 298 people despite solid evidence being presented by their allies, or even a member of the EU. Which Dutch leader would allow themselves to be seen to let the EU move on from MH17 if that sort of evidence was made public by a government? You just have to look at Syria to see how Obama treats foreign policy, he's not the sort of leader who is going to drop bombshells like that.

The state of the world is rather depressing innit?

Keep up the good work BM.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So the Russians are bitching on RT about Ukraine's choice of song for the Eurovision, which is about the plight of the Tartars during the soviet era. Copious amounts of all the usual rhetorical devices used thought the piece, especially lots of good old whataboutism. Normally I wouldn't consider this newsworthy, but the sheer volume of whining over hurt feelings is just too delicious to ignore.

https://www.rt.com/op-edge/333580-ukraines-song-europe-jamala/

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

quote:

It's not homonazi if the spheres don't touch

Old underappreciated joke for a brand new thread.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Stuff happening in Minsk today:

"Putin, Medvedev, Matvienko in Minsk, Naryshkin - in Vienna. Who's left to lead the country?

https://twitter.com/dimsmirnov175/status/702857976378482689

Just noticed Lukashenko has two flags, but Putin only got one.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 25, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

steinrokkan posted:

So the Russians are bitching on RT about Ukraine's choice of song for the Eurovision, which is about the plight of the Tartars during the soviet era. Copious amounts of all the usual rhetorical devices used thought the piece, especially lots of good old whataboutism. Normally I wouldn't consider this newsworthy, but the sheer volume of whining over hurt feelings is just too delicious to ignore.

https://www.rt.com/op-edge/333580-ukraines-song-europe-jamala/

I agree it's a bad choice, it should be about the plight of the Tartars during the Putin era.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Brown Moses posted:

Which Dutch leader would allow themselves to be seen to let the EU move on from MH17 if that sort of evidence was made public by a government?

Your unfortunately overestimating the resolve of our politicians. It's pathetic how they're letting this slide so far. The plight of a small nation I guess. Imagine if they killed 200 American civilians instead.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Disco Infiva posted:

Old underappreciated joke for a brand new thread.

it was thread title, I'm satisfied.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Discendo Vox posted:

it was thread title, I'm satisfied.

It actually never was a thread title :(

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Thread title could use an update, imho

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Eastern Europe: Poland rip in pis

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Baloogan posted:

Yes, this one or the "its not homonazi if the spheres don't touch one please.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Eastern Europe: beware Dmitry Anatolevich Putin

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Baloogan posted:

:five:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure it was a thread title at some point, I'm not that clever...

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Baloogan posted:

I think we have a winner.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Disco Infiva posted:

It actually never was a thread title :(

It was a thread title, it was my joke.

That said:

Eastern Europe: Brown Moses goes BUK Wild

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Discendo Vox posted:

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Discendo Vox posted:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Speaking of Buks, the Dutch Safety Board published its responses to the Dutch Parliament and Russia's questions on their MH17 report, which included this letter

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/702843515093516288

We've also put a piece on Bellingcat highlighting the most interesting parts, most of which just make it really really clear an SU-25 wasn't involved.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Baloogan posted:

Discendo Vox posted:

Both of these are good.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Oh, new thread title. I was about to post as stuff happens in Poland but it's usually depressing stuff :(

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

A sound decision- the Poland pis one is much timelier(also funnier).

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Reddit Nutpicking posted:

Eliot Higgins is a retard. He's a failed lingerie salesman with no education nor experience. Only on reddit and twitter would a guy like him be listened to on any subject.
He posted a bunch of nonsense about Syrian government using gas on its own people, tho he was far from only one. Those claims were thoroughly debunked by the MIT professors and UN weapons inspector...

15 minutes of fame over? Elliot Higgins, aka Bellingcat, is being debunked all over internet by real experts and scientists

Oh and Eliot is married to a turkish woman. No hint at a bias there.

quote:

It's not about believing what Putin says. I'm Russian and I do believe that we had a hand in bringing the plane down, most likely indirectly by providing the Donbass militants with a BUK. It's also possible that the crew behind the BUK was straight-up Russian military. Regardless of who exactly did it, it was obviously done by mistake.
However, having said that, I'm against our government admitting to our involvement. Nothing good could possibly result from this, just more vehement anti-Russian rhetoric and a discussion of a new set of sanctions. Putin is doing the right thing by denying it.
No one would pat Russia on the back and say, 'Hey, at least you admitted to it bro, it won't bring back those lives but it's an honorable thing to do nontheless'. No. All we'd get is more hate, spite and general bashing, and western media and communities are too full of that already.
I'm sorry for the lost lives, but it'll never get admitted until time passes and it becomes completely irrelevant. Right now it would serve as little more than political ammunition against our country.
As a side note, I wish you'd feel as sorry for the people burned by Ukranians in Odessa. Those are completely forgotten, barely ever mentioned by the western media and just like with MH17 noone is ever going to take the responsibility.

(links elided)

This is great.

Most of the posts wern't so bad though, the voting system is actually WAD in that thread. Probably due to sheer volume.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Irony is my wife hates Erdogan and doesn't care at all about foreign policy.

Meanwhile, we've had our first official response from the Russian MoD

quote:

The Russian Ministry of Defense has issued an official response to our report on the 53rd Anti-Aircraft Missile Brigade: "Not one anti-air missile complex fielded by the Russian army has crossed the Russian-Ukrainian border."
He added that Bellingcat's articles are "conspiracy theories."

If that's the case you have to wonder where these Pantsir-S1 appeared from, not used in Ukraine, but somehow they appeared in Ukraine. Weird!

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

It's not weird at all, the response clearly states more than one AA crossed the border.

BernieLomax
May 29, 2002

This is good news :D

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Hah, there's more

quote:

Russia’s Defense Ministry rejects new MH17 report by Bellingcat. Moscow puts its trust in ‘bloggers and experts’

A spokesman for the Russian Defense Ministry has responded to a new report by the investigative group “Bellingcat” about the Russian military's alleged involvement in the downing of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17, calling it “a bunch of conspiracy theories” that aren't worth any “serious comment.”

The ministry's representative added that previous reports by Bellingcat “have repeatedly been debunked by bloggers and experts.”

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Brown Moses posted:

Irony is my wife hates Erdogan and doesn't care at all about foreign policy.

This is something I find a lot of people (specially from poo poo countries) can't understand. Your country/nationality is your team and you always cheer for your team, you are loyal to your team. If a Canadian says something bad about russia, don't address the criticism, ignore it and bring up something bad Canada did. Everyone is obviously mindlessly biased and defensively loyal to their nationality so anyone slinging criticism is just playing a game of nationalistic one-upsmanship.

I've had nationalists that apparently hate my nationality get more upset I won't defend bad things my country did and in fact condemn them than they did with the initial argument. How can I have no patriotism? My country must be terrible and bad if it's not even worth defending in an argument.

So many people in the world can't separate their personal identity and ego with their national identity and ego, or separate their national/cultural identity with the country's current political leadership. They're all one inseparable package that makes any sort of honest discussion impossible. Not only is the idiot nationalist unable to have an intellectually honest conversation, he assumes everyone else is just like him so everyone else is just as dishonest as him.

BernieLomax
May 29, 2002

Brown Moses posted:

Hah, there's more

"Repeatedly been debunked" is exact same empty phrase certain drones post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Eastern Europe: 'cat fool can't beat RUS memes

edit: um, I hate to raise the possibility, but could the report release and BM's association with the forums be related to the spate of DDoSes?

• Locked thread