Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.
It's interesting that the Russians clearly expected this to be a meat-grinder and unlike the the highly-trained contract soldiers used in Crimea they're just sending in barely-trained warm bodies and conscripts (albeit VDV conscripts). Also, given the current fetish for guided weapons, how brutally effective the grads and artillery are proving to be in this conflict. And the extensive use of tanks despite both sides having access to advanced ATGMs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
Here's a long and interesting article, though probably too pro-russian for most people's taste:

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v36/n17/keith-gessen/why-not-kill-them-all

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
too pro-seperatist for the thread's taste means "sees the donbass seperatists as people with grievances and concerns that could be addressed through negotiation rather than foolish dupes to be stomped"

That said, the proper time for negotiations was long ago when the revolt had a mostly local flavour, rather than it's present status as a wholly GRU run operation

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000

Present posted:

I'm not going to split hairs. Bottom line is many people from the Donetsk/Lugansk region are literally afraid of getting murdered/raped/eaten by Kiev and by Ukrainian army and by Ukrainians from the western part of the country. And I get that it's not their fault, but when they pick up guns and start abducting people for having a Ukrainian flag decal on their lovely Soviet era car, well, then it gets me.

There's a cool article I read recently about how Russia's nuclear arsenal is actually useless now. The main thust of the article is that the only facility that was used to produce the radiative material for the warheads was dismantled years ago thanks to some treaty, and the existing warheads finally turned inert. I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Probably because that sounds like total horseshit. Russia has more than a few nuclear reactors.

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000

Nintendo Kid posted:

Just having a nuclear reactor doesn't mean you can turn a spigot and pump out some bomb juice, dude. You need specialized processing facilities to finish off that sort of stuff and assemble a working nuclear weapon.

My point is Russia has a massive amount of nuclear infrastructure, has been a nuclear power for 65 years, still invests massive amounts in its nuclear forces and has the nuclear arm as its #1 defense priority, everyone believes they have nukes, everyone acts like they have nukes, they act like they have nukes, the fact their nukes don't work anymore would be a big fuckin deal and hard to keep quiet, and that the argument entails Russia not having a capability that north loving korea has, means the balance of probabilities suggest that the idea that russia's nuclear weapons are all inert is the most out-there of conspiracy theory nonsense

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
It would be pretty funny if Putin did as Zhironovsky suggests and dropped a nuke on Warsaw only for it to break apart on impact wit a little note saying "BOOM" floating out just like in looney tunes

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000

Nintendo Kid posted:

The fact that they may not be able to maintain them in the future however, is a fact.

If you include "may not" in a sentence that's a red flag it's a possibility rather than a fact.

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000

SoggyBobcat posted:

What's Russia going to do about it? Attack a NATO member?

Maybe they should've played nice when they had hegemony over Eastern Europe.

If Ukraine joined NATO, Russia would almost certainly immediately invade (formally, this time). They clearly think a Ukraine aligned with the West is intolerable. They might back down later when the US opens the doors on silos or a massive multinational force arrives to drive them out, but I can't see the Russians not trying their luck to reverse it.

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000

katlington posted:

It is the west's fault for not rebuffing eastern europes attempts to extricate themselves from soviet hegemony.

It is my fault the woman next door was murdered by her abusive partner because I called the police for her last time she knocked on my door in tears.

It is your fault if you told that abusive woman you would protect her so she should tell him she's leaving, her husband kills her, and you respond by barring him entrance to your convenience store.

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000

katlington posted:

Russia is War Machine. Ukraine is Christy Mack. Who is going to play Dog the Bounty Hunter or the US marshalls?

Poland, duh

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
Cameron, Merkel, Hollande and Obama are the chicks on The View

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
Let's just all agree that collective punishments inflicted on whole nations are a-ok and we didn't nuke enough of them drat Japanese

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
Here's an article from Anatol Lieven that's worth reading given how prescient he was in this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/04/opinion/a-way-out-for-kiev-and-moscow.html?_r=1

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000

Munnin The Crab posted:

Edit: to move things back to Ukraine, while still keeping up HORRIBLE CARCINOGEN chat: I recall seeing pictures of one of those fuel-air bomb MLRS tanks rolling over the boarder a week or so back. The fuel for those things would make a chemist blush. To speak nothing of the ethics of using thermobaric weapons in grad-style shelling.

You mean a Buratino? They're a war crime waiting to happen, so it's terrible news if the rebels have one.

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000

Pimpmust posted:

Some right-wing party in Poland apparently supports Russia, go figure.

For a neo-nazi it seems to come down to: who do you hate more, the homos (who control the EU) or the jews (who control russia)? This swedish piece of poo poo decided he hates jews more but it must be a tough decision: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28329329

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000

Deteriorata posted:

"Give me five"
"Give me a five"
"Give me the five"

all have rather different implied meanings.

You can still say "give me those five" if you have definite set of five in mind

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I would guess that Putin is setting up Poroshenko for a compromise serious enough for a "stab in the back" myth to implant itself in the well-armed ukranian militias. Add some IMF austerity and some gas shutoffs and you have a good chance at a ukranian societal collapse over the winter, allowing Putin to sweep up "historical novorossiya". If not he can still pull the same poo poo next spring/summer, albeit at a higher cost.

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
Armed far-right veteran's groups are a very good thing to have in a country about to go through an economic cataclysm: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/10/azov-far-right-fighters-ukraine-neo-nazis?CMP=twt_gu

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
To be fair Finlander does turn Putin criticism into a truly bad pantomime

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/11/despair-luhansk-residents-count-dead

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000

Dolash posted:

Russia bears responsibility for this ruin, and so long as they maintain an environment of permanent crisis in the East the chances of relief and reconstruction are small. Neighbouring Ukrainian oblasts must see images of Luhansk and dread becoming the next city Putin decides to "liberate".

Yes yes, the fact Russia instigated this removes any responsibility for the Ukrainians to behave in a moral fashion and not Grad civilian areas

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I am honestly surprised the Russian crew on that mistral haven't just sailed off while on "sea trials"

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000

karthun posted:

I find it amazing that people still argue that Ukraine is trying to enter the US's orbit because of Amerimaiden and the Ukraine-US Association Agreement. No wait it was called Euromaiden and the Ukraine-EU Association Agreement. Well you see obviously everything is controlled by the US... Actually it is lizard people that control the US government. Or was it the Jews. I can't keep the conspiracy theories straight.

Wait till I tell you about the Holy Roman Empire

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I hear they have a time machine and have been going back to get velociraptors to ride into battle

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
Looks like Putin achieves his fundamental goal, a divided and weak Ukraine unable to integrate with the West, albeit at a higher cost than he wanted to pay. That said, there's every indication the Europeans will walk back the sanctions as fast as dignity will allow and there's a good chance Ukraine falls apart further (see: armed far-right formations, unsustainable debt, contracting economy, split between Poroshenko and Yatsenyuk) with the opportunity for further Russian encroachment.

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000

Finlander posted:

Whether they are or not, I think both of these NATO countries will be pretty pissed when Russian terrorists target and then brutally murder their countrymen on Putin's orders.
Though I'm not sure if anything will come out of that, when you look at MH17 and how the targeted massacre of 300 people, most of which were EU citizens, wasn't enough to make any European nation think about anything but Merkel's wallet.

All evidence points to the seperatists loving up and blowing up MH17 when they thought it was a Ukrainian military transport, it wasn't a "targeted massacre".

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
Ukraine cant even afford to feed the few soldiers it has, and you crazy fuckers think they can fund a nuclear weapons program? Do you think you could look into the eyes of the crying mother of a son in ISIS controlled territory and tell her the American army isn't coming back to iraq? Why are they called fingers when they don't fing?

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
Oh and east ukraine may be a soviet era rustbucket but western ukraine doesnt even have any buckets to rust, econimcally speaking. Nor did Maidan magically banish to feckless corrupt incompetent politicians to Romania or something: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/09/19/ukraine-s-president-wowed-congress-but-his-party-has-a-dark-side.html

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000

Lead out in cuffs posted:

While not factually inaccurate, any article pointing out the Ukrainian neonazis in Poroshenko's government kinda needs to also point to those in Putin's, as well as the broad support and actual ties between Putin's government and far right groups internationally. But, well, the halcyon days when journalism and balanced reporting meant something are apparently long over.

Also, could you elaborate on your statement about the relative economies of the separatist-occupied Ukraine and unoccupied Ukraine? My understanding is that, while it contains a lot of fairly important ex-Soviet military manufacturing, it's actually heavily subsidised and not economically self-sufficient at all.

It's just all these people talking about invading russia and forcing them to learn proper democracy and non-corruption need to realize we kinda need to do ukraine first. Other consideration is the West may find Ukraine to be a less than stable or democratic partner, so geopolitically speaking you have to ask why you want to go the hilt against a great power to gain a corrupt burden that may be about to experience a far-right insurrection, particularly given the EU is already struggling dealing with members on its periphery and the US has its own Middle East and China woes.

http://www.stratfor.com/image/ukraine-regional-gdp

I do think they are heavily subsidized so GDP overstates their net benefit to Ukraine, but the point is ridiculing the east as an economic basket case who are foolish, budget-wise, for cutting themselves off from the rest of ukraine is a bit rich considering the whole of Ukraine is mostly a worse basket case than Donetsk is.

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
Ruh roh

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2014/09/23/ukraine-may-need-far-more-foreign-aid-to-rescue-its-economy/

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Fun reminder for everyone that those rockets are probably going to land within 250m of whatever they were aimed at. Though seeing as stock BM-21 systems have neither an artillery computer nor a GPS, what they aimed at and what they meant to aim at could be two very different things.

Indiscriminate rocket fire is pretty much the hallmark of Russian-backed assholery.

Also the hallmark of Ukrainian militia assholery and pretty much any poorly-disciplined-force-with-access-to-heavy-weaponsolery (see: libya, syria, history)

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000

Slashrat posted:

Worked for them at stalingrad, so figures they would try it again.

Shooting deserters isn't just a historical Russian thing, not shooting them is the modern aberration

Looks like debaltsave won't last much longer. Hopefully the Ukrainians weren't stupid and can pull out before they're overrun

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000

El Scotch posted:

Russia is currently parading a big, glowing billboard for why you want to be part of NATO.

Also a big glowing one to western Europe about why you don't want to expand NATO to countries you're not willing to go to war to protect

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
Debaltseve has fallen apparently

https://twitter.com/HromadskeTV/status/567951839171366912

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000

kalstrams posted:

Yeah, I've seen similar tweets which would put exodus at some hour or two ago, maybe, and it would appear to be that either agreement was reached, or they did have to disarm themselves. The latter one, though, would contradict with the APCs part of them is leaving on.

Edit: Nevermind, they are claimed to be reatreating proper with two spetsnaz regiments covering their back. Many wounded, people who literally haven't eaten for 5 days, but at least parts of them seem to be out of Debaltseve. Problem is that road they retreat on is under fire. Civilians stay locked in Debaltseve.

Yeah, this Vice News article makes it seem like it would require a miracle for the Ukrainians to avoid severely bad losses on the way out:

https://news.vice.com/article/escape-from-debaltseve-how-one-convoy-made-it-out-of-ukraines-besieged-city

And they better do it fast before some little green men swing into action, this seems like the type of opportunity they would risk themselves for

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000

jonnypeh posted:

Looks like Putin doesn't think the west will do anything. Best reason for USA to launch nukes first. That would show Putin. Show him in a big way.

Launch the spares at the Middle East and China as well to ensure the middle class can truly enjoy the glow of America's coming Thousand Year Republic

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

The separatists should just let them leave. Why are they still shooting at them? They are really subhuman scum. Not even the most basic human decency left in them.

I know its kind of your thing, but you are a bit histrionic about the pursuing a defeated enemy thing that every military ever has done. If they were marching out as part of an agreed surrender that would put it into subhuman violation of the laws of war territory but that doesn't seem to be the case. I certainly doubt i will find posts of yours advocating mercy when the seperatists were retreating.

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

You say one should trust the separatists who violated several ceasefire agreements and also routinely humiliate, torture and execute their prisoners of war. The separatists who don't let the OSCE do it's job? Now you think they would suddenly honor an agreement instead of executing all soldiers after they have given up their weapons? Like they did before with soldiers who surrendered?

We should not merely trust them, we should give them the launch codes to America's nuclear arsenal! We should donate billions to the DNR and LNR as they will selflessly use it to create a network of orphanages where they will raise the world's most dispossessed and vulnerable children in a non-judgemental environment of opportunity and growth! Do you think they would not do it? Like the DNR supporter who donated some potatoes to an orphanage I read about somewhere? Or the one I heard second hand about who got a degree in trustworthy trustiness from Oxford's College Of Really Swell Guys?

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
The story behind the Ukranians being able to get anyone out will be an interesting one. The seperatists would have had that road zeroed in for artillery for days now. Either the Ukranians came up with something particularly cunning or there's some behind the scenes pressure from Merkel to stop a massacre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000

OhYeah posted:

This was a pretty harsh article.

Putin's comments were very inappropriate and pejorative, I wonder if a "world leader" should allow such things to leave his mouth while his country's economy is falling apart and he has hardly any allies left.

You mean, other than India, China, most of south america and the middle east, and bits of the EU? Russia may have alienated aome of the countries its most useful to be friends with (US and western Europe) but they're by no means a pariah

• Locked thread