Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

eXXon posted:

Also there are fascists/far-right supporters practically everywhere in Europe.

And a whole lot of them are supporting/fighting for Russia too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Because, as discussed above, every other instance of tax levied against an institution or organization will see that entity drive up costs for their consumers to make up the difference. It's trickle down taxation.

Yeah, that's just it. You can make some "Corporations!" statement but it's fundamentally a red herring: any direct tax on a good or service should be expected to make it that much more expensive to the end user regardless of who else is in the chain. If that isn't the goal (or acceptable cost) it's a badly made tax.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Valiantman posted:

It's been in the news for a quite a few times in the last years that there are less wars (of all kind) waged in the world than ever before. Murder and violence rates have also gone drastically down and extreme poverty has been halved (compared to some year I don't recall right now.)

Yeah, that's the starting point. If you asked 100 people, how many do you think would believe that violent crime in the US has drastically dropped in the last 20 years both in per-capita and absolute terms? How many would believe that not only the proportion of people living in extreme poverty in the developing world has dropped, but even the absolute number, outpacing population growth?

The fear that recognizing progress will make people haul up the Mission Accomplished banner and go home is understandable, but I think it's important to recognize promising trends to make the best of them.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

blainestereo posted:

Add a pickelhaube and some crazy epaulettes to the second photo and he looks like some homicidal Prussian royalty too.

Other than that, the quality of his briefings mirrors his appearance perfectly.

Incidentally, American and European politicians might be lying sociopathic assholes but at least they mostly look stately. Their Russian counterparts are lying sociopathic assholes and look like lying sociopathic assholes. You really can't beat selective breeding.

From my experience with US politics threads, anyone the poster disagrees with is evil-looking, has "crazy eyes", and/or presumably smells bad. I'm just going with it as a universal inclination.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
The irony of it all is that as near as I can tell while the West could possibly have have made the post-Soviet collapse and looting significantly better, it would have required a lot more outright imperialist and controlling behavior than what we got. And of course lucked out to work a lot better than that usually does.

• Locked thread