Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Neophyte posted:

Give the guy a break! All he's saying is that if it's a legitimate invasion the body politic has ways to shut that whole thing down.

:thurman:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

A Pale Horse posted:

Is that really so surprising? No one wants to see themselves as "soon to be dead military adventurist #1035".

In Poland news, PO finally passed a resolution about in vitro fertilization, making it available and regulated and boy is our right wing/Catholic church pissed. PiS campaign manager already said that as soon as PiS get into office they're going to rescind it because it contains provisions for freezing unused embryos and also allows people in civil partnerships (theoretical only for now since there's no such thing) to make use of them as well. In slightly related news I'm taking up German as a fourth language.

I thought the Catholics Priests always want more and more children?:raise:

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Friendly Tumour posted:

The immigrant crisis is the reckoning Europe has to face for embracing tolerance. We're either going to have to abandon it and go by the way of Hungary and Russia in our values, or accept the fact that there's going to be a lot more Muslims around here. The only way to dissuade people fleeing violence, is more violence. And I don't think that's a price worth paying for some semblance of ethnic stability.

I'd say it's more of a consequence of the West and others stomping on the social and economic development of everyone else for the past few centuries coming home to roost.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Iowa Snow King posted:

It probably is this, but I think the more immediate cause can be traced to the neoliberal policies of the last thirty or forty years, where functioning third-world states have dissolved into "developing" and "emerging" markets.

Well to be honest neoliberalism is just a new way of doing the same thing:

jonnypeh posted:

I'm not sure what you mean with these words, those countries have almost always had corrupt kleptocrats in power, whose chief concern is enriching themselves and elevating their own tribe or nationality above others. Unless this is also somehow the west's fault.

e: well, the former colonial borders translated into national boundaries today are the west's fault, so that's that.

And as to your question of "also somehow the west's fault", in many many cases yes it is as The West will actively support said kleptocrats as those who are truly wanting national benefit are as a rule, uncooperative with international capitalist interests.

Gantolandon posted:

This argument, however, won't work in Eastern Europe, because most of the countries here didn't even exist as sovereign entities, let alone participate in destabilizing the Middle East. Hungary, for example, was a part of Austro-Hungarian empire (which pretty much meant doing what Austrian elite wanted) until 1918. Czech Republic, Slovakia and Poland didn't even have that sort of autonomy, they were straight out subjugated minorities until the end of WW1. They also all became Soviet satellites 25 years later. None of these countries was ever influential enough to throw their weight in Africa or Asia and now they are asked to fix the mess caused by the nations who actually benefitted from colonialism. Some of whom either actively hosed them over and kept subjugated.

I should have specified that I meant Western European countries, as parts of Central/Eastern Europe are only a part of "the west" quite recently with the expansion of the EU.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

jonnypeh posted:

Care to give some examples? Both those who would work for the national benefit and kleptocrats supported by the west, in today's Africa and South America.

Historically it isn't hard to find examples: Chavez had plenty of oil and now his country is in ruin, Mobutu Sese Seko was rather infamous. That's two that I can think of.

Allende in Chile would be a good place to start.
Edit: As in for some one acting for national interest. Kleptocrats? Saddam I guess and the various central american tinpot dictators.

I don't know anything about africa but I do vaguely recall a guy who leftist, had a motorcycle and was very asetic who was killed by the French. Sorry for the terrible description but is all I can remember.

In the case of Chavez, Mobuto and others, they can still gently caress thier country up while claiming to to the right thing.

I am not putting forward the idea that anti-western/capitalist automatically makes someone the bees knees.

Xerxes17 fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 15, 2015

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Actually, has there been much fighting in the fallout zones of Chernobyl?

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

You know what's hosed? A few months ago the opposition leader in the Russian Duma was brazenly assassinated, but already it's kinda just disappeared from discourse everywhere I look. I think about it myself and can only really manage a "such is life" shrug.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Plan Z posted:

Has anyone read Zaloga's new T-64 book yet? I'm curious to see if it's got a few hastily-stuffed-in chapters regarding Ukraine, because the modernized versions were held in high regard even up to the current conflict. Must be why I'm seeing more pictures of UAF forces training on T-80BVs.

The book is released on Oct 20th here in Australia :negative:

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

RE: two year refugee visa idea.

Here in Australia we have Temporary Protection Visas (TPV) and they are loving horrible.

Imagine living your life for two years with no hope for a job (not allowed), no hope for study (you have no money so nothing past secondary level) and you must live on the below poverty line welfare rate (same rate as natives, as an aside).

So while on a TPV your life is on totally on hold. You can imagine how terrible this is for the mental health of the refugees, especially the children.

Oh and at the end of that TPV you can get scooted off back home at the whims of the right-wing shitheel government, even if the place is still going to poo poo like Iraq, Afghanistan or Sri Lanka.

We've had cases where kids who had lived for a decade in Australian "care" getting flown back to such great locales.

Oh and we charge them for the airfare ahahahaha :suicide:

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

my dad posted:

edit: Croatia escalated further by banning the entry of all Serbian citizens.

GloryToArstotzka!.gif

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

kalstrams posted:

In a surprising turn of events, exit polls in Belarus show victory of Lukashenko with 80-84% of the vote at 81% turnout.

"I got 91% last time, so look how accommodating I am being to increased opposition! True democracy!" :belarus:

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Who the gently caress would risk life and limb for a measly 15kRUB per year*? :psyduck:

* I assume since the 200k figure can't possibly be weekly or monthly.

Xerxes17 fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Oct 13, 2015

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Plan Z posted:

Got Steven Zaloga's book on the T-64 tank. I was pretty disappointed to see that he wrote like two paragraphs on its performance in Ukraine.

Well to be fair it's a bit early for being able to make real solid conclusions in regards to the T-64 in this war. Nobody will want to talk about it becuase hey, saying "there is a horrible weakspot at X" might get you killed later.

Xerxes17 fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 26, 2015

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Well at least they went out in a blaze of glory.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

So I hear there was a bomb scare in Moscow today?

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

I guess the movie "Battle for Sevastopol: 2" is not going to have UKR-RUS cooperation in its production.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Looks like Poland chose Radovid over Dijkstra. :rip:

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

A Pale Horse posted:

That's all correct and NATO has said that while the center is affiliated with NATO its not considered a NATO center and as such is an internal matter for Poland. Which essentially means they had the right to do what they did but they are so stupid, so tone deaf that they do even legal things in the worst possible way. Instead of consulting this with NATO beforehand and then doing it on a Monday morning, they do it in the middle of the night, like a bunch of thieves and only get NATO opinion after the fact. I mean, what the gently caress?! They're not just malevolent, they're deeply incompetent as well.

KOD (committee for the defense of democracy) is organizing a march again tomorrow in Warsaw after last week's successful march which was attended by between 20 and 50 thousand people. BOR (the Polish analogue of the US secret service) has banned drone flights over government buildings until mid January. Why you may ask? Because there was discrepancy between the reported number of marchers by the civil services in Warsaw. The city government said about 50,000 people marched, the police said about 20,000. Then drone footage came out that was much more congruent with 50,000 people than 20,000 and so this week, drone flying is banned in Warsaw. :downs: I'm not even kidding. Its that petty and stupid now.

Put a collection out for a helicopter overflight then.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

awesome-express posted:

That is one ugly cover

It looks like a butt-metal album cover.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

sparatuvs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56OnOCvzC6o

"Patriotic education" in the DNR consists of dressing up in camouflage, delivering goods to the front, and firing artillery shells.

So uh, how long until one of these groups is taken out by counter-battery fire? :stare:

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

The way I see it, any country that produces the solid evidence Russian was responsible is basically going to poison diplomatic relations with Russia for years. How could the EU work with Russia while they still deny they killed 298 people despite solid evidence being presented by their allies, or even a member of the EU. Which Dutch leader would allow themselves to be seen to let the EU move on from MH17 if that sort of evidence was made public by a government? You just have to look at Syria to see how Obama treats foreign policy, he's not the sort of leader who is going to drop bombshells like that.

The state of the world is rather depressing innit?

Keep up the good work BM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Baloogan posted:

Eastern Europe: Poland rip in pis

:five:

• Locked thread