Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

mother russia needs that steel for more bombs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

when he was a young drunk chemist, my grandpa proved via a series of trials and measurements that olives soak a limited amount of methanol from alcohol

no idea if thats true

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

We need that food for homeless veterans, thanks.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

A Pale Horse posted:

PiS's newest affront is to destroy the civil service. They're firing all the directors and deputy directors of all departments in the civil services in the entire country (about 1600 people) and changing the law that forbid political party members to serve in those positions as well as repealing the requirement for at least 5 years of relevant experience to assume those positions. Its also going from an open contest to fill those posts to appointment by a newly created governmental position. Have fun getting anything done if you don't have the appropriate loyalties.
That's a really poo poo change. In the long run maybe the shittiest thing they are doing. A professionalized civil service is hugely important for government stability, effectiveness, and corruption-fighting.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Who's going to launch military coups in the US??

The Fraternal Order of Police

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

other news in russian corruption: the corruption reported is all tied to one man.

in other words, its a hit piece between plutocrats

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

-Troika- posted:

Hakcing someone's stuff like this is basically just the equivalent of tearing down a few posters and putting up your own. There is absolutely nothing scary about that.

...if you were a guy that assassinated people and invaded other countries, that'd be pretty scary

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

same timeframe:

Ruble: .035 to .013 USD
Canadian Dollar: ~1 to 0.73 USD

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

oh my god i thought that video had reached peak ridiculousness and then i saw the carrier.

this is amazing.

Maybe this company sells safe rooms in the side. "is YOUR $10 million villa safe from DRONESSASSINS?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Reddit Nutpicking posted:

Eliot Higgins is a retard. He's a failed lingerie salesman with no education nor experience. Only on reddit and twitter would a guy like him be listened to on any subject.
He posted a bunch of nonsense about Syrian government using gas on its own people, tho he was far from only one. Those claims were thoroughly debunked by the MIT professors and UN weapons inspector...

15 minutes of fame over? Elliot Higgins, aka Bellingcat, is being debunked all over internet by real experts and scientists

Oh and Eliot is married to a turkish woman. No hint at a bias there.

quote:

It's not about believing what Putin says. I'm Russian and I do believe that we had a hand in bringing the plane down, most likely indirectly by providing the Donbass militants with a BUK. It's also possible that the crew behind the BUK was straight-up Russian military. Regardless of who exactly did it, it was obviously done by mistake.
However, having said that, I'm against our government admitting to our involvement. Nothing good could possibly result from this, just more vehement anti-Russian rhetoric and a discussion of a new set of sanctions. Putin is doing the right thing by denying it.
No one would pat Russia on the back and say, 'Hey, at least you admitted to it bro, it won't bring back those lives but it's an honorable thing to do nontheless'. No. All we'd get is more hate, spite and general bashing, and western media and communities are too full of that already.
I'm sorry for the lost lives, but it'll never get admitted until time passes and it becomes completely irrelevant. Right now it would serve as little more than political ammunition against our country.
As a side note, I wish you'd feel as sorry for the people burned by Ukranians in Odessa. Those are completely forgotten, barely ever mentioned by the western media and just like with MH17 noone is ever going to take the responsibility.

(links elided)

This is great.

Most of the posts wern't so bad though, the voting system is actually WAD in that thread. Probably due to sheer volume.

• Locked thread