Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

quote:

He also said he expected trade relations with Ukraine to worsen, but that Moscow would not impose any sanctions on Kiev related to its trade deal with the European Union.
"Yeah, now that we got your biggest port feel free to continue trading, we won't do anything about it, honest."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's honestly more of a self-offense force.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, that's the good ol' Hitler school of international persuasion.

A Pale Horse posted:

I'm sorry I'm making GBS threads this thread up again with Poland politics, but this was too funny not to share:

This was at a rally for the President, the sign the lady is holding says, "Dearest President, blessed is the womb that carried you and the breasts that you suckled."
You sure it's for the president and not wanting him to step down in favor of his mother? It sounds like it's for his mother.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You could, in fact, consider disliking Russia as their only redeeming feature.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

sparatuvs posted:

Which one is it Russia?

Russia says black box from warplane downed by Turkey unreadable
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-syria-crisis-russia-turkey-idUSKBN0U41PK20151221?feedType=RSS&feedName=worldNews

Su-24 flight recorder confirms Russian aircraft did not violate Turkish airspace -
http://www.pravdareport.com/news/russia/18-12-2015/132895-su_24_flight_recorder-0/
SHUT UP WE'RE INVADING TURKEY

Seriously though, one would they have at least someone making sure their bullshit is cohesive.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
"We stand for life and helping each other so don't you dare raise money for hospitals!"

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Far from Russia Ukraine?

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah because Russia doesn't have any neo-nazis' and putin doesn't personally have a bunch of "nationalists" at his beck and call. It's funny because the average Russian can't see this. To them the most defining thing of a nazi is hating russians and wanting to kill russians. You can't be a fascist if you don't want to wipe out all russians.
My pet theory is that they just don't get told the actual meaning of the word. Nazis? Nazis are who we beat in 1945 and you should all be thankful to us! Russia strong, Russia forever! Nevermind the actual history!
I honestly can't tell what's propaganda, what's lack of education and what's plain old stupidity.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 22, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Commies don't get too different from Nazis when you let them run loose, see: Stalin.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Can't have one without the other, apparently.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The obvious implication being that social workers and statesmen aren't people.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
But he can't help it, he just obsessively collects countries!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The Russians still got Crimea and that seems to have been the real prize so there's no reason reason not to leave the separatists to hang out to dry if they turn out nonprofitable. One thing the whole Syria mess does really well is divert attention from that.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That's a pretty fast Godwin.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Would proving or disproving that they were Russian soldiers actually mean anything? Russia doesn't give a gently caress and everyone else is too afraid of starting WW3 to do anything.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Brown Moses posted:

Well if I ever feel too good on it I just read comments on articles like this one at the Guardian and it soon brings me back down.
That is depressing as all hell. But seriously, great job out there, I'm glad someone is still looking into it even after the big media shifted attention elsewhere.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

I got a bit worried after my Ukrainian lawyer friend kept saying that Ukraine needs to 100% follow the Polish model of economic and social reform.
Given their circumstances it's probably that or the Russian model so that's a pretty understandable sentiment.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Nothing says democracy like a referendum under gunpoint.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hamburgers from actual beef are going to cause culture shock.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

A Pale Horse posted:

Eastern Europe is a state of mind. Plus the Balts aren't Slavs obviously and they're EE, and the Czechs are so polluted by filthy Hapsburg blood they may as well not be Slavs either. Finland can be EE too if it wants. :colbert:
Excuse me, we kicked out the Hapsburgs in 1918. And then - rather brutally - de-germanized the country during the late 1940s. We're Slavic and we know it.

I'd like to think EE is a little alarm siren that pops up whenever someone mentions Russia. To be fair, Finland's headed that way the moment Putin decides he wants a slice. It seems to come to him whenever there are Olympics.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Weed is very much criminal here, it's just that no one gives a gently caress. Although I do feel for you in that regard, the new government over there seems to be headed straight back to Middle Ages.

edit: Well, technically it's not criminal since you can get away with having less than 5 plants and most cops can't count that high. It's still a forbidden substance so having a small amount counts as an offence, so the only legal way is to have up to five plants for decoration or something.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 13, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
In Nazi Russia, laws pass you.
I wouldn't rule it out.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cliff Racer posted:

The Baltic states have done well in both. Ukraine, Moldova and Georgia sort of have Democracies.
You can tell because Russia has tried to screw them out of that.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
They just want to get their hands on those nuclear zombie crews they've been incubating there ever since.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Nilbop posted:

This is the bit that really sticks with me. I mean this is me being a selfish prick, but I'm a British citizen and the idea that one of our citizens can be killed, horribly, by a foreign government in our capital and suffer NO consequences is a loving joke.
Welcome to dealing with Russia.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm just waiting for the news that those asylum seekers have Russian citizenship and are going to suffer brutal persecution Russia will have to prevent with tanks.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Louis Theroux's brother did a docu about the dwindling Russian population and the high infection rates of HIV/AIDS. Some towns are 90%+ infected. One reason given for the spread of the virus was that it is considered a non-white disease. Only those dirty Africans get it and if you're loving one, well then you deserve it. Those attitudes combined with little funding for HIV health centers etc. has meant an increasing epidemic.
I don't know how many Africans are there in Russia, but "black" used to be a racial slur for just about everyone southwards, mostly from around the Caucasus.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It seems more of a question of "how long until we find out".

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
"It's leaking perfectly safe radiation."

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Eventually, yeah. They denied it for quite a while - including a rather absurd interlude where soldiers who weren't there were handed commendations for things they didn't do.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

RT has posted a quiz comparing Donald Trump and the incumbent Czech president Milos Zeman. Can you tell the difference?
https://www.rt.com/news/330692-trump-zeman-so-similar/
Well, let's hope that winning an election by appeal to xenophobia and stupidity won't work in the US as well as it did here.
Zeman is a "president of the people". Meaning he's got no voters with more than six braincells.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 2, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That's a Good Article and I'm saying that as a Czech. She hits the nail on the head of a lot of the problems - if you had to describe the Vietnamese community here in one phrase, it'd be "inobtrusively omnipresent". They originally did their drat best not to alert anyone - and I honestly can't blame them, the whole roma issue and more recently the immigration clusterfuck prove that if anything, the Czech majority is racist as hell. The Vietnamese if anything managed to dodge a bullet there by being sterotypized as hard-working and comical as opposed to being outright despised which is what happens to, well, just about everyone else.

I had a couple Vietnamese schoolmates at the college and we talked about this, apparently there's a young generation that actually wants to stay and expand behind the niches they're forced into, but they're finding resistance both from Czechs and the older Vietnamese that seem to regard the country as means to an end. I'd love to say there's a chance for this generation to actually grow some roots here - but I'm not too hopeful.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Feb 11, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

never trust an elf posted:

When they aren't running potraviny the Vietnamese make some killer drunk food in Prague. There's a small shop right across from jiriho z podebrad that is def worth visiting if you're in the area
It's hard to find ones that make actual Vietnamese food, though. Most of them run fastfoods that, uh, cater to the traditional Czech tastes. See: fried cheese.
They also spawned some popular but truly unholy abominations like gyros with noodles.

It's a shame; I recently ate at a Vietnamese market and the food there was delicious.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's got an inherent advantage in that it at least looks like meat, unlike what you get in standard fast foods.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's really a matter of setting up the "significant Russian population" there. I honestly think he's pretty much saber-rattling in there to divert attention from Ukraine. The more escalated the situation in that region, the less willing will the West be to do something about the actual invasion.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's about as good a reason as "it's rightfully ours".

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cat Mattress posted:

Yeah but just wait for the stealth supersonic double-decker strategic transport, they're gonna have 200 of them before 2020, you'll see.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q9IF6A7ZK0
Christ, it looks like it was designed by Apple.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

And if they go back to the good old Soviet-strategy to brute forcing results with bad tech, it will be both funny and sad. (On account of the many, many crashing/exploding rockets/planes.)
The Soviet research strategy is "do nothing then submit a report that says you were successful".

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Feb 22, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Given what a huge and slow target that would be, I can only assume it's actually designed as a suppression unit for use against civilian crowds.
Duh. When has Russia last attacked someone capable of fighting back?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

So Miloš Zeman, the Czech President, told students during some sort of Q&A thing that they'll end up like Hitler if they don't drink alcohol :godwin:
http://liberec.idnes.cz/milos-zeman...berec-zpravy_tm
This guy is turning out to be a bigger embarrassment than Boris Yeltsin and that's pretty impressive.
See, here's a problem. He's got a reputation of sarcasm that was overshadowed by a reputation of senility when he became president. He doesn't seem to be aware of that.
At this point, people either completely and unironically agree with him (and sadly that's plenty) or facepalm whenever he shows his face in public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's a case of "everyone knows they did it but there's no profit in acknowledging it".

• Locked thread