Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BernieLomax
May 29, 2002
Seems like he indeed thought he would be killed by Putin (Feb 10th)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BernieLomax
May 29, 2002
Isn't a big point of Putin's strategy that it is all hands off? Early rumors on Ukraine was that some subordinate was doing everything, and this is the reason Putin don't need to spend energy denying a connection. This has held true all the way.

BernieLomax
May 29, 2002
it is somehow awesome that i'll know where to find the feed for propaganda before anyone knows anything.

BernieLomax
May 29, 2002
Minor thing on the ELA method. Will the noise be stronger in whole 8x8 blocks? I noticed that some of the noise did seem to cover whole blocks, but I have no first hand experience with this method. It is almost tempting to try making the tool from scratch in order to learn these minutiaes.
And have the process of modification been replicated? Eg start from similar type of images, do the whole set of manipulations in 2 or more jpeg encodings?

BernieLomax
May 29, 2002

Brown Moses posted:

I exchanged a lift to the airport, two hours away, for an in car interview, so I covered all sorts of stuff, it'll be interesting to see what was included. Looks like they've included my fun times with Russian Today.

Not going to translate 4 full pages, I'll just do the beats and quotes. The RT deal is the glue of the story. "Somebody told me I've invented the perfect videogame. We do something beneficial.", mom's encounter with RT, Higgins do the job that many big media can't afford anymore.
Listing your finds: European weapons going to IS. James Foley geolocation, Russian soldiers and weapons in Ukraine, MH17. Praise from Guardian, HRW, NYT, amnesty. "I am not a journalist. I do research". "If you can look at videos and play games, you can do this. The little I knew about guns I learnt from games".
Higgin has examined Russian vids. "Russians are poor liars. To reveal their lies is too easy; low hanging fruits", "It is much harder to reveal the lies of IS and Islam fundamentalists. The only positive thing I can say about Putin's war is that it increases interest in Syria. It is a shame we've forgotten what is happening in the country ".
About your job at the asylumcenter (sp?) in Leicester being boring. Then came the Arab spring and how it caused discussions amongst people there. And during the long hours there Higgins developed methods to decide if videos were true. (Interesting section).
Long section on MH17. Higgins call Russians stupid. 300 names collected. And full rosters posted. Should be possible to name those who shot it down. Russia claims it is a hoax.
Higgins computer is loaded with more trouble for Putin, Assad and IS. Russian doc about Russian warfare in Ukraine has been downloaded 1,5 mill times. Work on retaining information that could get lost on social media. " In 10 years people should be able to see for themselves what happened in Ukraine and Syria".
"There are enormous amounts of data online that never is examines or verified. It is a treasure vault". When Higgins post a video online, 5-6 minutes later 10-12 people start helping out. Sometimes the conclusion is ready in minutes, other times it takes months and years.
The reason it took 11 month to gather data on Russian warfare in Ukraine was due to waiting for new satellite images from the area the plane was shot down. "Satellite images reveal differences very fast. The hard part is access to images". Crowdsourcing etc, would use millions if Higgins had the money. It is Christmas eve when Google updates their satellite images. "Then we can update the front lines Syria or what's happening in Ukraine".
How to spot lies? "Alarm bells should ring when you see something too good to be true".
A late night Higgins discover unusual messages on social media from a girl in Raqqa. She was from Guyana. "I gathered her accounts from social media. From that I could create a picture of her life, from a young girl who partied and had fun, to the next moment when she became deeply religious". This info is used to stop recruitment.
Data, findings and analysis are shared openly. Methods can be verified, so anyone can control their conclusions. Higgins was surprised when a member was previously a Stasi-employee. "It is OK to criticize him for being a guard in Stasi. But he collected important data on the MH17 shootdown".
Balancing stuff at the end:
Der Spiegel used a report to claim Russia had falsified proofs, something there was no ground to say. Spiegel had to apologize for interpreting results too categorically.
Traditional experts are emphasizing that methods are based on a human, subjective evaluation of images. They have also received images from Ukraine activists that has later shown to be hoaxes.
Commander captain Per Christian Gundersen, leader of Media group at the defence college: "It's a phenomena that shows how social media cab be used. That an untrained man on his boyroom in Leicester, who has never been in Syria and has never been a soldier, is able to do this is pretty special. It has been used to document use of cluster bombs, weapon deliveries and other types of violations of international law". About 80% of military intelligence comes from open sources. "To use satellite imaging to verify Russian attacks is something western and israeli intelligence has good control of. But it doesn't get into the open space"
He calls one of the main challenges "Schwarzkopf-syndrome": Too great access to information can lead one to gathering more to create a compete image.
Back to Higgins: After Russian media showed up nothing is as before. "By coincidence I've changed the life of my whole family. For my wife it is obviously frustration. My hobby was an obsession, now it is my job" When he is home the daughter wants to see cat-videos. "As kids commonly do she loves cat vids. When we watch that I can think that such a video can get 40-50 million views. While I can work for.months on a serious report and get 40-50k views. But I know my job works, otherwise Kreml wouldn't send a team to harass my mom. It was a huge mistake."
"What do you think about being smeared in Russian media?" "It is like getting stalked by an obsessed, crazy ex-gf. I was pissed of when they went after my mom, brother, colleagues and neighbors. I take comfort in knowing that it means I'm doing something important"

Sorry for poo poo translation + typos. Phone-posting. But I think I included most points.

BernieLomax fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 7, 2015

BernieLomax
May 29, 2002

Brown Moses posted:

Thanks for that, sounds like the sort of thing I'd say.

The bit about the Arab spring was well written; not much, but it worked as a nice explainer. And in general a really good article, especially given how he managed to base it all on a cab ride interview and still give it a nice overall arc. Also, full 4 pages (half images) is pretty good exposure.

BernieLomax
May 29, 2002

This is good news :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BernieLomax
May 29, 2002

Brown Moses posted:

Hah, there's more

"Repeatedly been debunked" is exact same empty phrase certain drones post

• Locked thread