Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

All throughout this push by Russian forces on Mariupol and other parts of eastern Ukraine, you keep hearing "we didn't have any heavy weapons/tanks" from the retreating Ukrainian soldiers/volunteer battalions. Now that I'm following a couple different folks in Mariupol on Twitter, I'm hearing the same thing--and many seem to wondering where the UA armor/heavy weapons have gone. Are they simply not deployed in the area, and is the UA straight up just avoiding a fight? That's what it seems to be based on what I'm reading.

I'm not casting any value judgment on that either way--obviously it seems smarter for light infantry with no ATGMs/RPGs/tanks to retreat in the face of armor rather than get cut down. However, right now the conflict seems to have mostly turned into Ukrainian volunteers/soldiers getting shelled at blockpost/city A, retreating to blockpost/city B, and repeating the cycle over and over, with most of the "action" consisting of both sides' columns of vehicles periodically getting lit the gently caress up by something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Majorian posted:

To be fair, that is the grammatically correct way to say it in Russian. But yeah, I try to call Ukraine what most Ukrainians want their country to be called.

No it isn't. There aren't any articles in the Russian language.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Majorian posted:

No, but when using it with a preposition, it's "на Украине," ie: "on the Ukraine," which is to say "on the edge/frontier." It's not "in Ukraine."

Interesting. I was not aware of the history behind using the "na" preposition vs. "v." Guess I read too many pro-Ukrainian articles eh?

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Volkerball posted:

Cross-posting from the ME thread. ISIS executed two Russians they claimed were FSB.

What I'm curious about is the uniform the ISIS fighter is wearing. Most of the videos involving Americans had them wearing orange jumpsuits as a reference to Guantanamo. Anyone know anything this uniform, or have any idea what kind of message they could be trying to send by wearing it specifically?

It's just a Russian "Gorka" field uniform. You can buy them online. They're pretty common in Russia and post-Soviet states. Chechen/Caucasian fighters have been seen wearing them before.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

kalstrams posted:

It's AKMS, a fairly special piece of Kalashnikov designed specifically for VDV trrops. Though Ukrainians should plenty of those too, so if it's anything at all then just what you say, at most.

Lol the AKMS isn't a "fairly special" Kalashnikov, it was produced in massive quantities and is one of the most common types of AK available. It's still in limited use in a ton of Russian, Ukrainian, and other former Soviet nations.

I don't doubt that the SBU could've caught some Russian dude smuggling one of these into Eastern Ukraine or wherever else, just please don't present an AKMS as being a rare, indicative-of-spec-ops type of gun. This could be a picture from any American gunhaver's closet, too.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

kalstrams posted:

"Fairly special" in my books means "slightly special" which is sort of what I would find a reasonable description for a weapon that was designed specifically to be used by paratroopers. I did claim neither that Ukrainians do not have nor that it is not widely used.

I am glad for American gun nuts having weapons designed for paratroopers.

"Specifically designed for" != "how and where it's actually used"

AKMS pattern rifles are prevalent in almost every third and second world conflict. You see tons of them in the Middle East, South America, Africa, and so on.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

kalstrams posted:

Exactly, that is my point, I meant "specifically designed for" not "used only by elite 666th straight guardian air family paratroopers of Putin's order". Would you mind not putting context your imaginary context between my lines?

And this is relevant to my post, because

AKMS is assault rifle.

Thankfully I didn't imply that, there's just a TFR poster who broke loose in the thread. What I've meant with that line is that "daily life of Americans is relevant to my post and the situation discussed, because"

Holy gently caress dude, relax. You implied that that type of gun is some kind of special operator's piece (perhaps partly because you don't have the firmest grasp of the English language and didn't realize what you were saying), and I corrected you.

I want Putin's folks out of Ukraine as much as the next red-blooded, freedom-loving American. I saw a potentially misleading comment in what you wrote and corrected it. People could've come to some strange conclusions about the image from what you said.

Sorry to disrupt your RSS feed reposting.

EDIT: Here's an Imgur gallery detailing the firearms spotted in Ukraine. The AKMS is very common. Apologies in advance, it was compiled by a very pro-Putin individual.

http://imgur.com/a/oGmhi

DrPop fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 28, 2015

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Holy loving poo poo, I just read all of their exchanges. gently caress Graham Phillips. I could understand why he spewed some of the bullshit he did at the start of the conflict, but this whole episode makes me think he's actually hosed in the head.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

The official Russian Kremlin account on Instagram is a goldmine for learning about the nonsense and bigotry the Russian government is spewing to its people.

This one's more funny than anything else

But gives you a good idea of what the Kremlin thinks are important things to focus on.

Basically it says "Meet the minister OF HEALTH [!!!] of Belgium, Maggi de Blok."

Please don't fat shame, Putin.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Doctor Malaver posted:

Why do you think an Instagram account named "kremlin_russian" is officially connected with Russian government?

Oh, am I wrong? I honestly could've been had, my grasp of Russian isn't perfect. It just seemed like the amount of work put into photos and text seemed so great for a non-official account.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

The New Black posted:

Haven't we already seen a little of this kind of thing? I seem to remember Vice featuring at least one American guy who was either born in Ukraine or of Ukrainian descent, fighting with one of the volunteer battalions. I also feel like someone said he was killed at some point.

Yes, he was killed back in August during the fight for Ilovaisk.

https://news.vice.com/article/the-only-american-fighting-for-ukraine-dies-in-battle

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

"Somewhere in Luhansk"

Those look like those babby airborne APCs, BMD-1s[?]. Wikipedia says Ukraine only had 61 or so in 2005. Did the LNR just get a nice new shipment from Papa Putin?

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

VICE's latest dispatch is from inside DNR-held Vulehirsk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCtzrLLWL0M

It's been a while since I've seen VICE cover "the other side." It's interesting to hear the DNR/LNR perspectives on the conflict, and in particular the reports from the two different rebels of how many men they've lost from their units. If the Russians weren't helping out the separatists, how could the rebels ever hope to survive the kind of losses they're talking about? Are there any solid numbers that share how many actual Ukrainians are fighting in the ranks of the separatists?

Also, that "captured tanker" looks terrified. I feel awful for him.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Haunting footage of what used to be the Donetsk airport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP1GN_oMd48

This is one of the most depressing dispatches they've put out since this conflict began.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

New Vice dispatch is up. This one is from the perspective of the DNR frontlines east of Mariupol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bz9D8ZsuD4

Your "TFR is leaking" note for this video: the guy holding the PKM (machine gun) clearly has armor-piercing incendiary rounds (7BZ3) loaded in its belt. 7.62x54mmR API has a black and red tip.

DrPop fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 3, 2015

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

API rounds have been popular for a long time in the Soviet Union. The Kalashnikov had that ammo made for it practically from its existence, and today there are 9x21mm Gyurza rounds with API tips for pistols and submachine guns in modern Russia. I think incendiary rounds were also issued for the 7.62x25mm Tokarev submachine guns used in World War II.

Yeah I wasn't really sure if they were prevalent or not in Ukrainian arsenals.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Guildencrantz posted:

A lady soldier in uniform celebrating International Women's Day by saying she doesn't support emancipation and a woman's place is in the kitchen.

Now I've seen everything.

Some people on reddit were saying that there was a pretty big translation error in what she was saying (translation errors are apparently endemic to the dispatches, as good as they are). This is what one said:

someone posted:

At 5:03 there was a major translation mistake:

The translation said:

To put it simply, to cook and have children ...

But the woman said:

Some might simplify it by saying, to cook and have children ...

As the translation indicates that she thinks women's place is in kitchen.... While she was actually saying that women provide much needed support for men. This is why she was surprised by the following question where Simon asked her if her being in the army conflicted with her views on women.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Well, maybe it'll be interesting. I just don't see it changing the direction in the end. I'm probably wrong, but the main impression I get of Russia comes from watching what's happening in Ukraine and watching people like Teddy post here.

Never would expect Russia to tolerate any part of itself enforcing laws separate of Moscow, I thought Russia was pretty well set against any sort of state level autonomy.

The Caucasus are seriously their own world unto themselves. There's a reason why interior troops are conducting raids throughout the North Caucasus on a pretty drat regular basis.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

Slavs speak Slavic languages nearly all the time. And these are the Slavic languages:

As you can see Austria-Hungary-Romania/Moldova form a distinct buffer zone between northern Slavs and southern Slavs (Yugoslavia literally meant "southern slavs"). Austria is of course Germanic, Hungary is ethnically closest to Finns and Estonian, and Romania/Moldova are Romance and likely descendants of Latinized natives of the general area deriving back to the Roman Empire.

The results of World War I and II and Cold War partitioning meant that most Slavic groups were shuffled around pretty handily into overwhelmingly slav-dominated countries of their own, including situations like how Kaliningrad oblast of Russia deported all the Germans that were there and lots of the Poles, and made it heavily Russian.

Also some people think the current Greeks have a bunch of Slav ancestry even though they took on the Greek language, but that's heavily controversial as of yet.

I know this is from a few pages back, but it reminded me of when I told a Greek nationalist that he probably had some Slav (and maybe even Turk!!!!) blood in him one way or another, and it took him less than two seconds to threaten me with death

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

OddObserver posted:

Can nnyone here comment on the gun?

As others have stated it's a Vintorez.

To get into "special" semantics that led to the current thread's title—that's the kind of gun that points more to solid Russian involvement/issue/backing than your bog-standard AKMS. Though it's possible some got left in Ukraine after the fall of the USSR or was otherwise brought into the country, they're a very rare sight outside of specialized Russian Federation forces.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

That Babylon 13 channel released a video called "Three days at the Donetsk Airport," presumably filmed sometime in the fall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiZ7FjQxGGI

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

This is purported to be a video of separatists advancing toward Ukrainian positions somewhere in Lugansk Oblast. Some are saying it's from a while back. In any case, it seems that the separatists (from whose viewpoint this is recorded) stumble into a Ukrainian tank around 3:52, miss it a bunch, it pops smoke, adjusts, and then starts blowing up the separatist BTRs. Warning: probable death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N0rplcH32g

Can anyone more reliably translate what the dudes are saying in the vid? All I can make it is pretty much "Tank!" "Straight!" "Stop!" and "Left!"

DrPop fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 11, 2015

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Did they almost friendly-fire their own BTR at 5:00 ?

Seems like it, given that the one dude is yelling at someone to stop doing whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

BREAKING

https://instagram.com/p/9HJKXkCRpU/

• Locked thread