Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Feral Integral posted:

What are the processes that small-to medium scale successful farmers go through to take their harvests to market in the modern day? Or like anything you can tell me about farming in the US from personal experience, really.

What would you like to know? My grandfathers generation owed 1000+ acres, most of which we now rent out for farming. We do have a small (120-ish total) acre farm that I have always live on/near. My father raises meat cows, which he gives to the family and sometimes sells. Most of what we do is make hay however. So I can answer small farm questions, and maybe some about the other. I have an Ag degree, but have never worked on anything but a 'small' farm.

I do know Non-commercial mid-large agricultural operations are rapidly dwindling population. If you aren't employed by one of these large corporations , or have a family who has been hand-me-downed a farm, getting into the mid-large game is virtually impossible. The cost of buying land, equipment and the upkeep of them (even on a small farm) is exuberant and you almost never make back your operating costs.

The benefit of farming comes from your love of the work, nature and having your own crops/meat (also the friends you make). Not saying you want to, but let it be known that no one would get into farm ownership in this day in age just to make money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread