Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Hey there. Got some new tunes for you ladies and gents to check out. Some of you have probably heard some of these already, in various forms, as I've posted them in a few threads around here looking for advice. But a lot of it will be brand new.

I started writing this album in 2012, after I put out my first album, which you may recall. It was originally going to be an EP about being lost at sea, but after I had like seven songs, I decided to ditch the concept, throw out a few of those tracks, and make it an album. So I replaced a lot of songs, redid some older ones, and now, more than a year after I wanted to have it done, it's done! I played, recorded, programmed, and mixed everything, except on Teenagers, which features the guitarist from my old band Presh, and Wet Feet, Gum Shoe, which features the Presh bassist. It was mastered by Ryan Foster at Foster Mastering here in Portland.

Kicktone Link
Bandcamp Link
Soundcloud Link
Facebook

I recommend Harbor, Focus, and Wet Feet, Gum Shoe to start with.

I Must Crush You
01. Teenagers
02. Harbor
03. Change Your Shoes/Drive Faster
04. Faded Rose
05. Ballpoint Pencil
06. Eyesores
07. Focus
08. The Flood
09. Riptide
10. Wet Feet, Gum Shoe (Combustion Stains Part 2)

It's a lot of heavy indie rock sounds, with some progressive rock and metal and a tiny bit of jazziness. Lots of variety, but I think it's more consistent in quality than my first one. Give it a listen, and if you want to download it, use the promo code 'goonytunes' for a 50% discount. I really hope you folks enjoy it, and I'd love to hear your feedback. It was a huge help last time, and I think it shows in these songs.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Sep 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
That's really interesting actually. This is the kind of stuff I like hearing about. He seemed torn about pushing stuff. Once everything was done I asked if we could go louder, because I liked the way it sounded louder on several of the tracks, and he thought The Flood sounded like it fell apart at the end when everything was louder, and he'd rather not push it anymore. I don't know the first thing about mastering, so I was like, "well you're the professional! :v:" My main directions to him were that I wanted everything to be louder and have the levels make sense together, but that I also wanted to keep the dynamics and not go overboard with it. I did mention that my last album had issues with the mastering being pushed too much so it was distorting in places. Maybe that made him nervous about making it louder? No idea.

I did think it sounded awesome in his room, but I definitely agree that some of it is oddly quiet. Ballpoint Pencil is actually quieter than the unmastered version, which doesn't really make sense to me. Like I said, I don't know anything about mastering, so I just kinda let him do his thing. That was only a couple of days ago, so I don't think it's too late to go back and have him fix some stuff. If you have any more specific ideas of what could be fixed, let me know.

Thanks for the feedback, and I'm glad you enjoyed it even with the mastering issues.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
We actually did do the RMS comparison, but it was comparing with a couple of random rear end tracks I like, since I couldn't think of anything off the top of my head to compare the levels with. Used Oblivion by Mastodon, and Hate to Feel by Alice In Chains. Obviously those are two completely different styles, and also much different from my stuff, so probably not the best to go with, but it seemed to work fine. However, I just checked it out on my own, and you're totally right that this stuff is way quieter than other stuff that is even pretty restrained. I was surprised that The Flood doesn't even peak at 0dB, and that's the one that I thought would be the loudest.

It would definitely be interesting to hear another take on the mastering, if you're willing to give it a shot. Do you want to do it with the track as is, or have me send you an unmastered mix?

• Locked thread