Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

everythingWasBees posted:

R.O.B. is one of the few things that make me regret being too young for the age of the NES.

Are they worth picking up on Ebay? Can you like hook one up to a computer and make it dance or something?
no but you can play all of two poo poo games with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

everythingWasBees posted:

Wait R.O.B.s react to the screen? :aaaaa:

Yup. Much like the Zapper, R.O.B. had a light sensor in his head.

Basically, the screen would flash to give him commands, torso down, close hands, torso up, rotate, etc. He would have a gyro stand, a battery powered gyro spinner, and a cradle to hold an NES controller with big pads to set a gyro on. So the game would know he was in the base position (I think there was a reset command), and as long as you clipped everything on in the right places, he would basically spin up a gyro, set it on a pad to push a button on controller 2, then pick it up and spin it up again for the next pad.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Endorph posted:

no but you can play all of two poo poo games with it

On that note, the second game, Stack-Up, has its own set of plastic stuff that originally came with it. While a loose copy of the game is uncommon at best, nobody in the '80s took care of their poo poo, so a complete set of those plastic things that came with the game are rare. Have fun trying to find them on eBay. They rarely show up, and they go for stupid amounts of money. There's a guy there right now selling individual pieces for like $25 each.

$25 well spent

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The important thing to realize about ROB is that it was a terrible lovely gimmick but no kid cared because they got a loving ROBOT!!! :byodood:

I guess buying one just as a collector's item would be cool though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

When I played Pikmin 2 I had never heard of ROB so I was utterly mystified as I collected a bunch of colorful discs and then a giant robot head. It's really kind of a strange thing to have existed.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

We had a ROB, bought for like $3 at a garage sale sometime around 1993, came with Gyromite and the stuff you needed to play it but none of the Stack-Up stuff. It was a fun gimmick for a little while, but mostly it just came down to being a robot that you could tell to do stuff, and not the games he used being any good.

He served his purpose as a trojan horse to get the NES into toy stores, and for that he earned his Smash Bros spot and stuff, but man. I wish I knew where mine was. I have a feeling he got thrown away at some point. Would be a cool geeky desk decoration or whatever these days but I wouldn't want to pay what anyone's asking(like $40ish) to have one again.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Kelp Plankton posted:

He served his purpose as a trojan horse to get the NES into toy stores, and for that he earned his Smash Bros spot and stuff, but man. I wish I knew where mine was. I have a feeling he got thrown away at some point. Would be a cool geeky desk decoration or whatever these days but I wouldn't want to pay what anyone's asking(like $40ish) to have one again.

Have you check the floor boards of your house? I bet your parents chopped ROB up because you were giving it too much affection.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm gonna smash so hard

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Smash all the bitches. Brawl every bro.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

This game will probably rule but no Wonderful One-Double-Oh makes me real sad.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

There was no ROB in my country but I had a Talking Robie, he was awesome:

I still have him somewhere in fact.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

RC Cola posted:

I'm gonna smash so hard

same, op

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

Gamwhiz1 posted:

This op sucks, otherguy post your thread tia

meh

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

OP should have a giant picture of Duck Hunt.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I never had a ROB as a kid, or a Power Glove. I kinda wish I had one of those too. It's so bad.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

why isn't the power glove an item

the super scope is

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

DrPaper posted:

why isn't the power glove an item

the super scope is

Honestly, I've asked myself the same a lot. It feels like a pretty obvious choice from Nintendo's history to use.

I guess it's too bad for Smash.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Endorph posted:

why is pac-man eating megaman's rear end

I got in the car and caught them like that, at least robot assholes are clean

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Have you check the floor boards of your house? I bet your parents chopped ROB up because you were giving it too much affection.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Gyromite had a good music.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Blaze Dragon posted:

Honestly, I've asked myself the same a lot. It feels like a pretty obvious choice from Nintendo's history to use.

I guess it's too bad for Smash.

The Power Glove was made by Mattel, not Nintendo (unlike the Super Scope). It'd be a "third-party character".

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
OP needs a (spoilered I guess) list of "leaked" characters cause those are some very legit leaks we got. Also needs a "deconfirmed" character list that only has Waluigi on it. :(

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

DoctorWhat posted:

The Power Glove was made by Mattel, not Nintendo (unlike the Super Scope). It'd be a "third-party character".

Oh, that'd explain it. Thanks, I didn't know about that.

Still, that's such a waste. I'd love to have the Power Glove at least as a trophy in the game. If ROB is in, we might as well remember all the weird-rear end peripherals Nintendo has had.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
seriously though where the gently caress are the ice climbers

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

darealkooky posted:

Climbing ice

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

darealkooky posted:

I do not want to see the ice climbers ahegao face. That's hosed up.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

When will akuma be in smash

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

darealkooky posted:

Errr Ahhh I am so mad right npow!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
op why did u close the last thread, when it was finally getting good?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

CaptainYesterday posted:

THINGS NOT TO DO IN THIS THREAD
Be Nite Crew.

lmao

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

When will akuma be in smash

Sorry Sakurai spent all his political power getting Goku in.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

forbidden lesbian posted:

op why did u close the last thread, when it was finally getting good?

That roster pic drove his autistic self over the edge and had to do drastic actions, probably while crying of anger.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

QED

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Look guys you got to know when to end a thread, see that ending was like blowing up the death star and seeing han solo and luke get medals. But overall it was just a good movie not a great movie. Now we are in the Empire Strikes Back days, so things will get dark, but it will be a great thread.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The question is which one of us will get stuff in the Tauntaun.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah but you should see the expression on the tauntaun's face when you climb inside.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I'm Chewbacca

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Austrian mook posted:

I'm Chewbacca

I thought furries weren't allowed?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So they are gonna bring Pokefloats back right? Cause it was a loving crime that it was left out of Brawl when it was the best Melee stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

The build up to this game's release has been ruining my life. I'm going to be completely unable to function when it releases next week in Japan.

• Locked thread