Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

thants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
according to reliable inside sources, windows 9 will be based on debian gnu/linux, using wine technology to provide your familiar windows using experience. new microsoft ceo lennart poettering has promised to restore the ailing firm's fortunes. will 2015 finally be the year of windows on the desktop?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

jony ive aces posted:

and they were going to go even further with reimplementing windows 95 features in 8.1 or 8.2 for free but then were like "fuckit we'll just put these in windows 9 so people actually have a reason to buy it"

i'm the advertisement

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

jony ive aces posted:

and they were going to go even further with reimplementing windows 95 features in 8.1 or 8.2 for free but then were like "fuckit we'll just put these in windows 9 so people actually have a reason to buy it"

lol

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

they already opened the door to stupid battery draining bullshit with the background refresh that everyone implements wrong why not go whole hog and let idiots gently caress things up aesthetically while you're at it

developers are not to be trusted, microsoft already learned this lesson, read any raymond chen article

TED BUNNDY
May 30, 2009

SO HUNGRY
Pork Pro
*stumbles into room, panting and wheezing*

HEY *gasp* HEY HAS *wheeze, cough* HAS ANYBODY SAID WINBLOWS YET?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Cold on a Cob posted:

i'm the advertisement

technically its a blipvert

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

they should make office 8 and windows 2014 just to gently caress up every tech support person (yes i know office is on version 15)

can you imagine if XP had been Windows 2001

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

maniacdevnull posted:

and this is how the world ends

not with a bang

but with a blipvert

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

TED BUNNDY posted:

*stumbles into room, panting and wheezing*

HEY *gasp* HEY HAS *wheeze, cough* HAS ANYBODY SAID WINBLOWS YET?

Yo check this out

Micro$oft

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Windows B

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

jony ive aces posted:

i always lol when i see this because they're completely missing the point of why ppl were mad at win8

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
does the mail app and calendar still blow?

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

jony ive aces posted:

windows 9 is natively jpeg compressed at 40 quality

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Throne Toget...

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
i actually wish microsoft were as organized as the nazis, at least they were able to put a next gen file system into production

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Kirk posted:

i always lol when i see this because they're completely missing the point of why ppl were mad at win8
i'd actually be v. happy with a start menu but with big dumb win8 tiles for my most-used programs like that

otoh it might just be stockholm syndrome but i'm warming up to how win8's actual thing makes better use of more screen real estate, i just hate that it goes too far and takes up every single bit of the screen and fucks with my ingrained "just click somewhere outside the thing to gently caress it off" behavior

jony ive aces fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 5, 2014

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

carry on then posted:

it's gonna be Windows One

this

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Phoenixan posted:

does the mail app and calendar still blow?

tried to add my work account and it didn't work, so yes

something even my shameful anriode phon can do, laffo

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Windows: Other W

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

jony ive aces posted:

i'd actually be v. happy with a start menu but with big dumb win8 tiles for my most-used programs like that

otoh it might just be stockholm syndrome but i'm warming up to how win8's actual thing makes better use of more screen real estate, i just hate that it goes too far and takes up every single bit of the screen and fucks with my ingrained "just click somewhere outside the thing to gently caress it off" behavior

i bought a mac and i feel a lot better now :unsmith:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

jony ive aces posted:

p much this exactly. Also the loving search doesn't work like it used to and it brings up like bullshit college assembly code when i try to search for some bookmarks when the windows file search does what i want exactly :qq:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
windows is an app launcher and general file systems handler

7 does this sweetly. up times of a month are not an issue and once you've cjd it up front there isn't much cjing to do later on except maybe tidy up your own poo poo [like downbloads drawer or apps I've installed that I don't want

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

Phoenixan posted:

i bought a mac and i feel a lot better now :unsmith:
:tipshat:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
you shouldn't want more windows, you should want something better, like a mac

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Elder Postsman posted:

no because I went straight from 640x480 to 1024x768. 8x6 was scrub tier.

1024×768 is just as scrub tier, the proper resolution for a two-page display is 1152×864

and that display should be a beautiful color-managed Trinitron™

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i only reboot my mac when i want that fresh boot feeling

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

maniacdevnull posted:

reporting live and direct for Network XXIII

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i only reboot my mac when i want that fresh boot feeling
*right clicks desktop, clicks refresh*

a rad dink
May 28, 2006

take me to your peener

Kirk posted:

i actually wish microsoft were as organized as the nazis, at least they were able to put a next gen file system into production

microsoft is definitely as organized as the nazis

fyi, the nazis were spectacularly disorganized

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Tarlach posted:

microsoft is definitely as organized as the nazis

fyi, the nazis were spectacularly disorganized
um, actually,

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
wangblows 8

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
Skorlak

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

jony ive aces posted:

was chatting on msn @ my friend terry meyerson and he says that people want the start menu because they're used to it and it works. I think I agree w him

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
start menu is a fuckin waste of time except as a searching tool. hit windows and type. it works well in 7. could work better of course

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
if they'd replaced the start menu with something worth a drat maybe the change would be worth getting used to

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

echinopsis posted:

start menu is a fuckin waste of time except as a searching tool. hit windows and type. it works well in 7. could work better of course

You know what else. Is a waste of. Time. Having your goddman start menu cover your whole screen when you search for poo poo. Remember win 8.0 update 0 where you had to. Manually select apps, settings or whatever category to search in? When since like VISTA it was automatic? Lol ballmer

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
and to move or remove start tiles there used to be this weird right-click menu thing that worked ok but had completely different interface principles to every other windows thing ever made. i think they only fixed that really recently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a rad dink
May 28, 2006

take me to your peener
people will be using windows 7 long in to world war three and they will be happy to have it

• Locked thread