Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I too quite liked the episode. Peasants versus robots was a little wonky and the arrow just touching the spaceship being enough was ridiculous but the other 96% of the episode was just out and out enjoyable. All praise to Capaldi but Robin was great as well and of course whoever it was who came up with the lines for them to speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
So I'm watching the Day of the Daleks episode 2 and the Doctor just killed someone with a ray gun. When exactly did his "no guns" thing come about?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Goddamnit, I lost a huge post, the gist of which was that the Macra Terror was not obscure, timelord-human relationships are as acceptable as human-cat relationships and the Three Doctors was a bit poo poo. Unlike this one it was very much a good post though. Come at me!

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 13, 2014

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Jerusalem posted:

Nobody accepts humans loving cats, which was the gist of Nefud's complaint!

Yes, the original point that I had made (and then hosed up when my foot played around with the computer cords a little too much) was that I had made the same point, using almost the exact same comparison as Nefud did, with a coworker who seems at least open to the idea of me being right. Nefud was not alone in his thoughts!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
It might be incongruent with the tone of the show, especially in the revival years but is it really incongruent with the Doctor's (and Timelords in general) abilities as repeatedly described? He's shown himself to be very able to come up with personality based plans when the writers want him to. His lateral thinking is generally pretty good when the plot doesn't require him to be dumb. I question whether emotional abilities are enough to make you equivalent to a human or timelord anyway. I'm reasonably certain that dogs and cats can feel fear, joy, love and hatred just like humans do. A better comparison would be whether Timelords are so smart that they are at a level above general sentience. I feel like they've been portrayed as being so, at least on their better days with things like limited telepathy, the Doctor's mumbo jumbo about feeling the earth move beneath his feet, etc.

Its fun to make the loving a cat argument because of how crass it is but you are right that the actual heart of it is what are what his companions to him. I honestly feel that they are treated as pets by him in the older stuff I've seen (first nine seasons) and as children in all of the revival stuff I've seen. Neither is an equal, adult relationship between partners. The very fact that companions can, and often are, replaced yet the Doctor can't be should be enough to show that.

• Locked thread