Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Apparently Anthony Horowitz is the rumoured new show runner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Gordon Shumway posted:

On the talk of Moffat as showrunner, this will be his fourth year doing the job. RTD only lasted four himself (not including the specials), so I wonder if he is somewhere in his brain getting an idea of when he'd like to move on.

Unless they're going to start a thing where the showrunner and the actor playing the Doctor both have to leave at the same time from now on.

He has said in interviews that he's already geared up his multi-season arc and is planning NEXT year's final.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

Clearly, Gatiss overruled Moffat on this one and did not make a good episode bad by inserting a stupid Missy scene.

Nope. ISIS did.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

At the end of the first episode he lands in Glasgow instead of London, walks away to get Clara coffee and shows up three weeks later at her school.

Because he got distracted by things, not because of poor flying. In fact, his flying is now so good he can materialise a TARDIS around an exploding fighter ship and save it's occupant a second before she dies.

I'm not complaining, I couldn't give a poo poo, but he is a lot better at flying than his immediate predecessors were.

EDIT: Specifically he got distracted by the future Big Finish story Doctor Who and The Seer of the Kelpies.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Sep 7, 2014

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

So the only episodes you've liked in the last seven years were Planet of the Dead, The End of Time and Lets Kill Hitler? Why do you even watch this programme any more if you hate it so much

You've misunderstood his post here and jumped on him for nothing. Calm down.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I haven't misunderstood his post. I'm mocking him because he tends to come in after a story and jump on any criticism as proof that the thread hates everything.

Oh, ironically then I've misunderstood your post. My foot is firmly in my mouth, and my shoe is on the other foot.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

You're a very brave poster.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

thexerox123 posted:

Out of the 12 Doctors, how many have you watched?

Why does that matter? He's not going to go and watch the first 40 years to appreciate Capaldi and he shouldn't have to.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I think right now, three episodes in, that the problem is that Capaldi is playing HIS version of the Doctor, rather than THE Doctor as written. It's why the scripts read like poo poo. Hopefully soon the writing will catch up with his interpretation and vice versa so that things will level out.

I'm still hoping they stop giving him lots of action to do, watching Capaldi begin a spoon fight only to cut to a long shot of a bad stunt double is loving horrible, and its even worse when he's trying to rush prisoners out of the dungeon only to awkwardly shuffle after them at a shuffle.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Matt Smith will forever be the Doctor that was the biggest missed opportunity.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

computer parts posted:

Eleven went downhill after the third sendoff of Amy & Rory.

His main arc in Into the Dalek is that of a depressed person, not grumpy and old.

Actually he went downhill the after Amy dreamt him back into existence. Maybe she brought him back broken and a bit poo poo.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

marktheando posted:

Day of the Moon was the real moment it all started falling to pieces.

This is true. The Christmas Carol (?) was amazing.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Cerv posted:

yeah, people who don't know how to read screenplays should probably not pick them up and start trying to pass judgements

or at least they should be self aware about it and know they're just learning.

The scripts are pretty bad though.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Cerv posted:

maybe but when people repeatedly say "this scene in the screenplay is awful but when filmed exactly as scripted it was great" the penny should drop that they're reading it wrong.

Well the mistake there is that nothing is filmed "as scripted." It always has to pass through a director first and can become better. I think it's fair though for people to look at the scripts and say that the resolution of this episode was weak or that the Jenny/Vastra/Strax dynamic in Deep Breath has become played out.

Sure, individual moments can be saved by good directing, like the spoon fight, but the overall stories have still been pretty weak.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Smith, for me, will always be lumped with McCoy in the "Fantastic Doctor; poo poo Stories" category. Smith regularly elevated poo poo lines and scripts simply because of how well he inhabited the role.

Yeah, Smith was never the problem, it was the writing.

HD DAD posted:

And that, if I had any criticism of recent Who, is that the stories are not really weak per se, but definitely playing it safe.

Like Season 7 of TNG. It has a cozy warm blanket feeling, and not enough to pull it away from you and surprise you entirely.

This is what most people who read the scripts came away with. For all of Moffat's interviews saying it was a new show with a fresh feeling its still the same thing as last time, warts and all.

It helps that a lot of the more blatant sexism has been edited out.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 7, 2014

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Android Blues posted:

It would have been really sweet to see him hallucinate Craig. Craig ruled.

And then in 15 years time everyone would be left wondering "where were all the Big Finish companions?"

HD DAD posted:

I forget where, but didn't someone say that Tasha Lem was supposed to be River, but they couldn't get Alex Kingston in due to scheduling problems?

Also, apparently Time went through a lot of hasty rewrites. The scene where Eleven hallucinates Amy was supposed to include Rory, the Paternosters, and Craig. Mainly I'm just sad about the lack of Rory.

Who knows? The Doctor Who wiki is loving poo poo.

In fact, maybe that should be our off season project? Lets make a new Doctor Who wiki that's actually loving worthwhile and includes Big Finish.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 7, 2014

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Introducing John Hurt

As

The War Doctor
(Twaaaaaang)

Seriously though, let's make a better Doctor Who wiki.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Jsor posted:

That sounds like a good idea. Can I vote that the new wiki shouldn't have a weird awkward article on sex?

Vote passed!

DoctorWhat posted:

Model it on TFWiki. Jokes in the captions, ridiculously comprehensive information in the main body, and a strong editorial style guide.

That's exactly the model I was thinking of. The current one is both too serious to comprehend and not detailed enough to be useful.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

Oh, and keep it off Wikia. We can look into other MediaWiki platforms, but independently-run is critical to maintaining academic and aesthetic coherence.

Speaking of aesthetic coherence I'd love to call dibs on design duties. We should make a list of people who would like to run the site, and then start planning to build it in the off season.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

HD DAD posted:

In all honesty, I do a lot of media back-end stuff for websites, optimization, HTML5 poo poo, etc.

I do design and video work in case people didn't know.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

In case anyone was wondering I'm seriously suggesting we do this.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

So, between the three of us we've got visuals, tech and rep covered. Let's start looking at the best wiki to use, software, etc. I'll brainstorm some names and the like too, we can maybe do a vote in a weekly thread sometime in the near future.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Rita Repulsa posted:

Which means users will have their own ideas coming in to the wiki what's canon by medium. Dividing pages into subsections by medium will allow them to find relevant information easier.

I agree with this. There's no Canon, just the different mediums. If we're being more tongue in cheek like the Transformers wiki then we can have some fun with the contradictions and poo poo in the margins.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I also think leaving the majority of work until the off season is a good plan, but maybe we should lay the foundations leading up to then so we can hit the ground running?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

HD DAD posted:

Agreed. We should set up something outside the thread to toss around plans and ideas.

Awesome. I'll PM you.

I know DoctorWhat doesn't have PM so I'll tweet him.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

The way these threads go nowadays I really do agree with the notion that a single massive ongoing season 8 thread would work better than weekly threads per episode. A lot of potential discussion gets cut off when the new thread goes up and the old one closes.

Wasn't the weekly threads thing a symptom of when the forums struggled with handling the size of megathreads?

Yes, and it was dictated that we do it this way by that Star Trek fan we no longer talk about.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

I understand why having four Doctor Who threads would be way too loving many for one forum, but I'd prefer it that way, because I can't watch the episode until my fiance is ready, which means I'm frequently two or three days behind. I haven't seen it yet, but I peeked into the thread to check reactions and it seems like we've already sort of moved on to a Goon Project involving a wiki.

So, General Doctor Who, Weekly Doctor Who, Spoiler Doctor Who and dOCCter Who?

We could close one of those easily: the spoiler thread.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

I'm on board for an irreverent DWwiki penned by goons. Will happily do some of the writing/entries for it.

There should definitely be a 'continuities' division, for the Doctors/stories. Consider the 8th Doctor and his multiple strands of history. TV adventures - 2, but he also has a Big Finish background and an EDA books background, so those need to be addressed as separate things, instead of trying to jam them together haphazardly into one whole.

I agree with this whole heartedly.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

No need to be condescending.

Have you met MrL_JaKiri?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

I'm on board for an irreverent DWwiki penned by goons. Will happily do some of the writing/entries for it.

What's your email address?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Honestly, you'll all go insane. Don't do it! :smith:

Yes. Yes. To hold in my hand a article that contains such power, to know that editing and re-editing on such a scale was my choice. To know that the tiny pressure on my thumb, enough to click 'publish', would change everything. Yes, I would do it! That power would set me up above even TARDISpedia. And through the Wiki, I shall have that power!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

It's all to do with Wikia being a piece-of-poo poo host/site in general.

The upshot is that, as long as we keep to the terms of its CC-BY-SA license, we can legally fork it from a readily-accessible database dump.

Did you see my direct tweet?

• Locked thread