Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That Talons cover has the raddest 70's DW logo I've ever seen.

That's from the US run of Doctor Who books in the mid-70s; I got the set for Christmas when I was 12 (in 1977! Eep!) They baffled me for a long time, because a coupe of them are 3rd Doctor stories with Jo, but since Tom Baker's was the only Doctor really known in the US/being promoted in the US at the time, they force-jam-crammed his attributes on top of Joe Pertwee's character.

That series has an amazingly grumpy introduction by Harlan Ellison (praising Doctor Who and talking a lot of poo poo about Star Trek, not surprisingly).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

There's nothing that Harlan Ellison does that isn't amazingly grumpy.

I realised even as I was writing it, 'Certain elements of this sentence are redundant.'

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

SimplyCosmic posted:

I, for one, am still shocked that they managed to not only to convince Anthony Ainley to come back from the dead to play the Sheriff

The first time the Sheriff appeared, I exclaimed, 'Holy gently caress, that's Anthony Ainley.' at the same time Mr Boods went, 'Holy gently caress, that's Ben Miller!'

Ben, you know what you must do.

And, yes, Robin made me miss Rik Mayall :(

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Kin posted:

Yeah, If it was Tennant or smith, the spoon fight would have been "oooh, look a spoon! ho ho ho, aren't i wacky lock at me fight you with a spoon, hA hAA!", but with Capaldi it was "i'm going to loving beat you with just this spoon you green tit".

He is rather playing it as Third Doctor (action) + First/Sixth Doctor (grumpiness) + a touch of Malcolm Tucker. I'm amenable!

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I'm upset we haven't seen a single grumpy old country poacher stomping about in his gumboots yet.

And there's the recurring cameo for Craig Ferguson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

The Action Man posted:

I'd love to see Capaldi in the Time Meddler with Craig Ferguson as the Monk.

I've made no secret of my love of Craig Ferguson, so I'm backing this one.

• Locked thread