Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Paul Darrow in Timelash :smug:

From an interview I found on the interwebs:

http://www.shadowlocked.com/201107051933/interviews/interview-paul-darrow-on-blakes-7-minister-of-chance-star-wars-the-old-republic.html posted:

Does doing things like the Doctor Who 'Timelash' commentary give you a new view on your past work?

Well, I'll be honest with you - the Timelash thing, I really didn't know how to play that. I thought 'Tell you what'...I talk to myself, which is getting to be a habit as I get old!...'I'll try and play him like Richard the Third, with the hump and the evil cackle, or whatever.

I more or less got away with it, but they accused me of sending it up. I remember JNT [1980s Doctor Who producer John Nathan Turner] - gone now, God bless his soul - got quite cross with me. Afterwards at a convention in America he said 'You were absolutely right to do it that way - the script wasn't that good and you made something of it'.

But Timelash is the most disliked and also one of the most liked, which is fascinating.

I wonder if Blakes 7 got some spare sets for having Darrow on. And I didn't know he did the commentary, there's another DVD to get!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

And curse you Jerusalem, I had completely forgotten about Herbert and now I shall be irritated all day.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Tsaedje posted:

Ben Miller as Christopher Guest in the Princess Bride was wonderfully hammy. Supremely silly, but also very entertaining.

Well bloody spotted, that was bugging me and I couldn't remember what I was being reminded of. For me this ep is Capaldi expanding his Doctor further. Comedy with a dead straight bat, nice callbacks to classic Who, and another great chunk for Coleman. Another Gatiss winner.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Astroman posted:

Peter Capaldi is basically cosplaying the 3rd Doctor at this point, and it's glorious. :allears:

Good point, but I'm still seeing a lot of Princess Bride in this one too, not just the Christopher Guest Sheriff, it's the action sequences and the general tone of the dialogue, also the generosity of the script to allow Coleman to carry the plot at important points.

• Locked thread