Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The Sherriff was decapitated in the duel, revealing he was actually a robot. He then pops his head back onto his body and continues the fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I'm actually really glad this episode is getting such a positive reaction; I thought I was alone in enjoying to workprint version. It's definitely up there now along with The Crimson Horror as Gatiss's best.

Twelve and Robin locked in the dungeon was the highlight of the entire thing for me.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

McDragon posted:

Also I love that the amount of gold they used for the arrow was worth about 12% of their entire engine power. Silly robots definitely seem to be the order of the day so far.

There are a lot of goddamn robots this season, aren't there?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I really wish they'd kept the Microsoft Sam voices for the robots.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Astroman posted:

I also bet that if people who hadn't seen the episodes had just read scripts of any number of 10 or 11 stories, even ones that are considered beloved today by the majority, they'd have been bashing them to high heaven.

"Holy poo poo Midnight is going to be bad. Did you read that utterly stupid scene where Ten and the possessed woman start saying wacky poo poo at the same time? Also a possession? YAWN."

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Big Mean Jerk posted:

All of the timber supports in this construction are rotten and some of the nails aren't the right size, but I'm sure it'll make a fine building!

I can see what you're trying to get at, but I'm going to argue art, especially visual mediums, become a lot more than the sum of its parts when completed. It's all about how the different parts work in the proper context of one another. Kind of how like a score can completely change the meaning and mood of a scene. A lot of the individual element aren't meant to be seen outside of production, and are usually quite poo poo (I work in production, you'd be surprised at how much total crap gets turned in and polished into something presentable. It's impressive).

At least, that's how I feel. I felt it came together nicely, but everyone takes away something different.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

PriorMarcus posted:

Sure, individual moments can be saved by good directing, like the spoon fight, but the overall stories have still been pretty weak.

And that, if I had any criticism of recent Who, is that the stories are not really weak per se, but definitely playing it safe.

Like Season 7 of TNG. It has a cozy warm blanket feeling, and not enough to pull it away from you and surprise you entirely.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

PriorMarcus posted:

This is what most people who read the scripts came away with. For all of Moffat's interviews saying it was a new show with a fresh feeling its still the same thing as last time, warts and all.

It helps that a lot of the more blatant sexism has been edited out.

It's interesting that Moffat says Kill The Moon is the first episode that actively breaks what the series used to be and introduces more of what's to come. I'm hesitantly optimistic.

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 7, 2014

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Quote =/= edit

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I forget where, but didn't someone say that Tasha Lem was supposed to be River, but they couldn't get Alex Kingston in due to scheduling problems?

Also, apparently Time went through a lot of hasty rewrites. The scene where Eleven hallucinates Amy was supposed to include Rory, the Paternosters, and Craig. Mainly I'm just sad about the lack of Rory.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Random Stranger posted:

I had completely forgotten about this title card:

"Oh, 'The Ambassadors' sounds like a nice episode. 'OF DEATH!'" :eek:

If you haven't seen the original, there's a musical sting when "OF DEATH" gets added to the title. It made me laugh so hard...

Robot of Sherwood

OF DEATH
(Twaaaaaang)

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
You know, I'm realizing a lot of why I like Doctor Who is appreciation for how it even exists sometimes despite horrific production problems. It's been a hallmark of the series from basically Day One, and you can totally see where poo poo went wrong, and episodes turn out completely awful, but the sheer charm of the production crew trying their best is awesome.

Then again, I'm just generally a sucker for production trivia in anything.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
In all honesty, I do a lot of media back-end stuff for websites, optimization, HTML5 poo poo, etc.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

PriorMarcus posted:

I do design and video work in case people didn't know.

Loud and proud, yo.

Did I mention I do *shoots self*

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Jsor posted:

I do... uh... I'm a PhD student in artificial intelligence and machine learning!

... That's not really helpful, is it?

Fully functional Dalek mascot.

Fully functional.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

PriorMarcus posted:

In case anyone was wondering I'm seriously suggesting we do this.

Dedicate my time for a non-paying gig helping do nerdy poo poo? We're goons, we should know the answer to that.

I have a fuckton of old Doctor Who Monthlies I can start scouring for bits of cool info. (80s-90s)

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

PriorMarcus posted:

So, between the three of us we've got visuals, tech and rep covered. Let's start looking at the best wiki to use, software, etc. I'll brainstorm some names and the like too, we can maybe do a vote in a weekly thread sometime in the near future.

I've worked mainly with Wordpress (credibility instantly destroyed, I know) but I do know there are some decent wiki plugs for WP. But yes, I agree we should wait till the off-season, but that don't mean we can't start gathering content.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Trin Tragula posted:

Ratings time for everyone to lose their poo poo over!

5.2 million overnight and a 25.4% share, 2nd for the day behind Codpiece Cowell, pretty much exactly the same as last week. For my money the most important number here is "most-watched thing on the most important day of the week for British television when you discount a completely unstoppable ratings juggernaut", but that never stopped anyone losing their heads before, so.

Last week I didn't know how British ratings worked and thought it was the end times.

I'm still used to the days of tracking Enterprise's declining overnights on UPN and predicting when it would get cancelled.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

CobiWann posted:

Do you guys want Cybermen? Because THIS is how you get Cybermen!

This is all just a desperate attempt to get the Mondasian Tenth Planet Cybermen back.

The only good Cybermen

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

PriorMarcus posted:

I also think leaving the majority of work until the off season is a good plan, but maybe we should lay the foundations leading up to then so we can hit the ground running?

Agreed. We should set up something outside the thread to toss around plans and ideas.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Really, the spoiler thread, as much as I love it, probably won't have much more action now that the leaks and such are over and done. If anything does pop up, we could just be really careful about using the spoiler tag.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I can understand the criticism that the Doctor was being childishly stubborn and aggressive, but those were also pretty major qualities of Three as well. Actually I got serious Three vibes throughout the episode.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Well poo poo, now we need another Baker in Who lore to fill in the shoes.

Troy Baker providing the voices for the ruggedly handsome upgraded Daleks.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I'm always surprised whenever I see pictures or video of P&J, they never look like I think they would

Pip looks like Isaac Asimov.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I've forgotten most of Series 3 ever existed. In my mind it goes from "forgot how Martha got here but she's here now" to Family of Blood two parter to "wait the Master thing was three episodes long?".

• Locked thread