Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Oh man, I didn't know Gatiss wrote Cold War. That's one of my absolute favorites. I mean, David Warner AND Liam Cunningham? Have they ever had a better guest cast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Seems to me like Twelve's a lot harder to pin down as just one or two characteristics. But if there was one word I'd use for him, it's "honest". "The Doctor Lies" was a line repeated annoyingly often in a GRRM-esque way during Eleven's run, but it strikes me that it might no longer be true in this incarnation. Everything I've observed in Deep Breath and Into the Dalek remains true, and it seems like for a change Moffat's developing a really solid character arc.
No idea about the big plot arc, the whole Missy/Promised Land thing. But it's not as annoying as, say, TORCHWOOD. Or the omnipresent Cracks. Or THE IMPOSSIBLE GIRL.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

I binged it. The thread, I mean. I'd say many people in the thread loved the episode, but I wouldn't go so far as to say "largely."

Most people who even liked the episode crapped all over the spoon scene, which was weird for me, because it was my favorite scene.

I'm not saying "STOP THE NEGATIVITY!" so much as I'm wondering if I watch Doctor Who differently than some, and differently than I watch most other media. It would make sense. I came to as an adult who works in film, sort of, so I'm more forgiving of a lot of things now that I understand the realities of production. Most things I get angry about when I watch, I've liked since I was young.

I think I've grown more accepting of small flaws, but selectively.

OP posted:

The First Law of Doctor Who fans says: "No substantive discussion group shall be entirely able to agree on the merits of any given story, not even the 'except X, that just plain sucked/rocked' corollary to this law."

:getin:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I just want to write the real world POV article on Doctor Who/Godzilla fan fiction.

aw, now I want a whole episode where the antagonist is basically a kaiju, and the Doctor, speaking fluent Monster, has to argue it out of killing everyone.
So, like a whole episode of the beginning of Deep Breath, I guess, but with Godzilla, and no regeneration sickness. Or the Paternosters. At all.
MODERN TIMES. Monster rampaging through downtown London. I would be okay if they made really cheap small scale episodes an entire season in order to afford decent CGI to render the kaiju. WORTH IT.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

howe_sam posted:

The Doctor's Daughter is memorable because of the behind-the-scene meta stuff with Jenny and Georgia Moffett, although I did forget that Martha was in it.

I'll give my vote to 42 since I also completely forgot it existed. Actually I'm pretty fuzzy on all of season 3, was it Shakespeare then the traffic jam or the other way around?

I like the Star Wars TOS-ness of the moral lesson, and the plot reveals. And how it has both Donna and Martha. It's not terrible.

My least well-remembered:
Fear Her
The Idiot's Lantern
The Lazarus Experiment
the Agatha Christie one
Boomtown
The Fires of Pompeii
the specials I didn't watch: Planet of the Dead, Voyage of the Damned, The Next Doctor
The Curse of the Black Spot (only really remember the stupid CPR)
A Good Man Goes to War/Let's Kill Hitler (I have mentally blocked most of it out due to severe displeasure)
The Wedding of River Song (same)
The Doctor, the Widow, and the Wardrobe
The Power of Three

• Locked thread